Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread

The official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2014, 01:42 PM

Yippy! Available on the Mac Store.
Download in progress. Will update when installed.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

OreoCookie
Oct 16, 2014, 03:24 PM

I hereby anoint this thread to be the official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread. (I am still waiting for the download to become available.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2014, 09:31 PM

Installed. My brief observations so far. The OS now tells you when you have old incompatible 3rd party software installed (like runtime for java).
I find that my system runs equally as fast as it did prior to the update. No extra snappiness!
And shutting down the computer created a beach ball that lasted 10 seconds, but then eventually went away.

will be back in the morning with more observations...
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I hereby anoint this thread to be the official OS X 10.10 Yosemite thread. (I am still waiting for the download to become available.)
Is it cool if we create unofficial Yosemite threads, just to compete with the official ones?

mindwaves
Oct 16, 2014, 11:59 PM

Still downloading at the local library (no internet at home unfortunately). Another 12 hours to go! Most likely will be a multiple day download. Will report back. I am really looking forward to the new interface. The ability to use Continuity will be useful in some cases.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2014, 12:31 AM

It took literally hours (3~4) for my machine to upgrade (a 2014 13" Retina MacBook Pro), and I think it even did three firmware upgrades (at least the same screen came up). Only to do another install. That has never happened to me before, installs were usually much, much faster.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2014, 07:52 AM

And.reg's List of Unfixed and Very Annoying Yosemite Bugs
(and request for help)
As of May 11, 2015 - and yes I still monitor this list:
20 unresolved bugs - 1 likely resolved bug

Link to this post: http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...e/#post4295983

Unfixed bugs from the Yosemite beta

0. During install, the screen that said "About 2 minutes remaining" stayed there for almost 2 hours. While this is not technically a bug as the /usr/ subfolder content is modified, the installation message is misleading.

1. iTunes 12 will not randomize to any song even when Shuffle is turned on when I am in Album view. I have to restart iTunes, or clear Up Next and then turn off the song that I am playing to get shuffle to work. This was not an issue in 10.9.

2. The bottom of the window pane in Safari keeps growing on its own if your preferences are set to not show the tab bar if you have only one tab. Open a blank window in Safari. Then open a new tab. Then type Command-Q. Then re-launch Safari. The bottom of the window pane will grow and you have to drag it back manually. This was not an issue in 10.9.

3. Dragging links from the Safari URL bar to a Finder window breaks Safari keyboard shortcuts... you can't click back into Safari and use Command-[ to go back a page, unless you then click back out of Safari a second time, then go back into Safari. (Test this on YouTube and, for example, multi-column view in Finder.) This was not an issue in 10.9.

4. Shrinking the height of a PDF in Preview causes the top of the display content to shift above the display window, so you have to scroll up after every resize (shrinking). This was not an issue (as far as I can recall) in 10.9.

5. Calendars no longer opens to Today, when you launch Calendars in 10.10. Instead, Calendars deceives you by launching to the last date that you used, and there is no way to go back to Today automatically. This was definitely not an issue in 10.9 and because of this deception, I have missed many meetings.

6. (likely resolved - I just told it to upgrade anyway and as far as I can tell it all worked fine) I cannot upgrade to iCloud Drive because my iCloud preferences gives me the following message (while running Yosemite 10.10 final):

"To use iCloud Drive, OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 is required. When you upgrade to iCloud Drive, the device below will not be able to access the documents currently stored in iCloud until it is also upgraded to iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite"

[my] MacBook Air

^ but I'm already running Yosemite! How do I fix this?

7. When working with TeXShop or NeoOffice and going back and forth many times between documents in that Finder window (in multi-column view), Quicklook has a bug that causes the Finder to get slower and slower each time that you use these apps. I have also seen it happen after dragging many different links from Safari (as in [3]) to the Finder column. This WAS a problem in 10.9 and was never remedied.

8. Also, a very annoying bug unfixed since 10.9:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6595075

Occasionally when scrolling, the scroll bar will get stuck for like 3 seconds for no real reason.

9. When creating a new event in Calendars, in Week view, once the event is created, you cannot drag the bottom of the event object down to resize the length of the event. You have to Quit Calendars, then relaunch Calendars, before you can drag the bottom (likewise also top) of the new event in Week view. This is 100% reproducible and I reported to Apple in beta phase and it was never fixed. (Added 1/26/2015: This also happens when you drag any existing event to another day... you won't be able to drag the bottom of the event up.) This was not an issue (as far as I can recall) in 10.9.

10. In multi-column Finder view, copying an item inside one folder and then quickly using arrow keys to navigate to another folder and pasting w/Command-V causes the file to be copied into the PREVIOUS folder.
Example: I have a file at
[path]/Folder1/file.txt
and I want to copy file.txt into
[path]/Folder2/
so I am in multi-column view, I highlight file.text, hit Command-C, and because I have stuff to do I navigate quickly to Folder2 and hit Command-V. Well the result is NOT this,
[path]/Folder1/file.txt
[path]/Folder2/file.txt
but instead I get this:
[path]/Folder1/file.txt
[path]/Folder1/file copy.txt
[path]/Folder2/
The only solution is to wait 0.5 seconds before hitting Command-V, so that Quicklook to catch up on multi-column navigation. This WAS a problem in 10.9 and was never remedied.

11. Sometimes, if you load a page like forums.macnn.com and click to navigate the threads in a section, and while the page is still loading, you start scrolling... when the links finally appear, you actually have to click above or below the actual link to get to the page. The only way to avoid this problem is to wait until the page finishes loading, but I have stuff to do and can't be arsed to remind myself to "wait for my computer." Since this was not an issue in 10.9, I don't see why Apple introduced the new bug.

12. When un-muting your volume for the first time after booting the computer, the volume control will show a fraction of a dial:

This WAS a problem in 10.9 and was never remedied.

13. When restoring a Time Machine backup, folder aliases break.
This WAS a problem as far back as I think 10.7 and was never remedied.

14. When fixing a folder alias, you can choose the appropriate folder, but then the Finder tab that you were browsing that had the broken alias crashes, meaning, that tab disappears, while the others stay open. It's not supposed to disappear; it's supposed to show the fixed folder.
This was not an issue in 10.9.

15. Spotlight search results will sometimes disappear if you type something in the textfield and test out a few results to see if what you are looking for is in each file. If you have to try again, the search field is cleared, so you have to retype your search terms, again, after every few results that you check.

16. Dragging and dropping items between Finder tabs in multi-column view confuses the order of display of OS X-native apps. While a Safari window is open, use multi-column Finder view to drag and drop an item in a folder from one Finder tab into a folder in another Finder tab. If you do this with the same timing as your spring-loaded folder in your Finder preferences, then something weird will happen. When you click into your Safari window, Safari will not jump to the front, and instead your Finder window will still be in the front. You have to close or move the Finder window to get to your Safari window.

17. Going into Calendar's Month view with "Other" (e.g., birthdays) not displayed/checked, Calendars is very slow to delete all events for a month when typing Command-A (to select all events) and pressing delete. This was not such a big issue in 10.9, since this operation was a lot faster in Mavericks.

18. Some songs from an iPod do not register, but if you try to select one of them (e.g., in gray) in iTunes, then hit the right triangle button, iTunes goes into an infinitely loop. Every time!

19. Sometimes, in Preview, while adding/editing text to an image and then changing the properties of the text, Preview will get confused after clicking away from the words and back into the image. Preview will sometimes "fasten" the text into the image, and you can't make any changes (and the Undo function does weird things), but other times Preview behaves like normal.

20. When browsing on a small screen with Safari (assuming that the top of the Safari window is not already at the bottom of the OS X menu bar), if you go to save a document in Safari (e.g., a PDF) to a folder, you get a huge window that causes the Safari window to move to the top of the screen, which is normal, but then if the document has the same name, and you Cancel the message that says if you want to replace the document, the Safari window gets stuck at the top of the screen... it's supposed to go back to where it was. This was not an issue in 10.9 as far as I can recall.

21. Sometimes, when booting up a Mac with Firevault enabled, when clicking on an icon and entering the password for that account at the login screen, the Mac will appear to boot up, but then the whole computer will appear to restart itself, and you have to log in again. This happens both on a Macbook Air and on a spindle-hard-drive Pro Macbook. I did not use Firevault in 10.9.

In the meantime, I would like to ask:

Can someone confirm EACH of the bugs that I have found? I have reported a few of these to Apple SINCE BETA 1, and they never fixed them, but I am still having them and I am very disappointed with the "final" release.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; May 11, 2015 at 08:59 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
Installed. My brief observations so far. The OS now tells you when you have old incompatible 3rd party software installed (like runtime for java).
Mavericks did this, too.

Ralpho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the detailed critique of Yosemite. I had already planned to hold off on upgrading to Yosemite because Mavericks caused Aperture and Text Expander to stop working on my desktop iMac. And subsequent updates of Mavericks failed to correct the problem. I am becoming less and less of an Apple fan as these problems continue to crop up.

My theory is that everything is much too complex. Remember what Scotty said in "Star Trek: The Voyage Home" after disabling the Excelsior's engines: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
And.reg's List of Unfixed Yosemite Bugs (and request for help)

0. During install, the screen that said "About 2 minutes remaining" stayed there for almost 2 hours.

1. iTunes 12 will not randomize to any song even when Shuffle is turned on when I am in Album view. I have to restart iTunes, or clear Up Next and then turn off the song that I am playing to get shuffle to work. This was not an issue in 10.9.

2. When you click on links to open new tabs in Safari, the bottom of the window pane just keeps growing and growing each time you start Safari back up. This was not an issue in 10.9.

3. Dragging links from the Safari URL bar to a Finder window breaks Safari keyboard shortcuts... you can't click back into Safari and use Command-[ to go back a page, unless you then click back out of Safari a second time, then go back into Safari. (Test this on YouTube and, for example, multi-column view in Finder.) This was not an issue in 10.9.

4. Shrinking the height of a PDF in Preview causes the top of the display content to shift above the display window, so you have to scroll up after every resize (shrinking). This was not an issue (as far as I can recall) in 10.9.

5. Calendars no longer opens to Today, when you launch Calendars in 10.10. Instead, Calendars deceives you by launching to the last date that you used, and there is no way to go back to Today automatically. This was definitely not an issue in 10.9 and because of this deception, I have missed many meetings.

6. I cannot upgrade to iCloud Drive because my iCloud preferences gives me the following message (while running Yosemite 10.10 final):

"To use iCloud Drive, OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 is required. When you upgrade to iCloud Drive, the device below will not be able to access the documents currently stored in iCloud until it is also upgraded to iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite"

[my] MacBook Air

^ but I'm already running Yosemite! How do I fix this?

7. When working with TeXShop or NeoOffice and going back and forth many times between documents in that Finder window (in multi-column view), Quicklook has a bug that causes the Finder to get slower and slower each time that you use these apps. I have also seen it happen after dragging many different links from Safari (as in [3]) to the Finder column. This WAS a problem in 10.9 and was never remedied.

8. More on this later.

In the meantime, I would like to ask:

Can someone confirm EACH of the bugs that I have found? I have reported a few of these to Apple SINCE BETA 1, and they never fixed them, but I am still having them and I am very disappointed with the "final" release.

Can someone especially clarify why I am getting the error message about iCloud Drive and what I need to do to fix this?

mindwaves
Oct 17, 2014, 08:21 AM

I went to a friend's house and updated. Running smoothly so far including VirtualBox, which is nice since I use it for work. Interface is a bit weird, but ok for now. The Favorites Bar in Safari seems to be smaller than before.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2014, 10:01 AM

0. During install, the screen that said "About 2 minutes remaining" stayed there for almost 2 hours.
Same here. I've started to read Syracusa's review, and I reckon that at this point in time, your volume is converted to a Core Storage logical volume. Nevertheless, I almost forced a restart -- I'm glad I didn't.

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2014, 10:15 AM

No obvious issues or delays on my Mid-2010 15" MBP. Pretty smooth update.

Fonts, colours and amount of visual changes is another matter all together... Icons appear to have been drawn by a 4 year old.

This could easily see me going back to Snow Leopard.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2014, 11:18 AM

I talked to a friend, and he claimed the delay is due to custom installs located in /usr/local and /usr/lib. And.reg, since you're a LaTeX guy (like me), I reckon you do have some command line tools installed via brew or MacPorts, right? That seems to be a major contributing factor.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2014, 01:01 PM

so far so good:

Installed on my test bed : a MacPro with 12GBs of RAM, 2xQuad cores.

Everything is a little faster, but goodness it is hard on the eyes. WTF. Dark mode comes in handy, but damn, it's like being on LSD.

My apps appears to work OK - Office, CS5... SMB shares work too. so far so good!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2014, 01:35 PM

I talked to a friend, and he claimed the delay is due to custom installs located in /usr/local and /usr/lib. And.reg, since you're a LaTeX guy (like me), I reckon you do have some command line tools installed via brew or MacPorts, right? That seems to be a major contributing factor.
Yes, but I would think that the Yosemite "final" installer would sense that the installation will take (a lot) more than those final 2 minutes.

(Also I've found that brew will fetch outdated libraries, so a word to others: use brew with extra caution.)

ibook_steve
Oct 17, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ralpho View Post
Thanks for the detailed critique of Yosemite. I had already planned to hold off on upgrading to Yosemite because Mavericks caused Aperture and Text Expander to stop working on my desktop iMac. And subsequent updates of Mavericks failed to correct the problem. I am becoming less and less of an Apple fan as these problems continue to crop up.

My theory is that everything is much too complex. Remember what Scotty said in "Star Trek: The Voyage Home" after disabling the Excelsior's engines: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Here you can see my nerdiness quotient: it was actually Star Trek III, not IV, where he said that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ralpho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 03:58 PM

Yes, Steve, you're right. I looked that up on Internet Movie Database and still got it wrong.

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Here you can see my nerdiness quotient: it was actually Star Trek III, not IV, where he said that.

Steve

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2014, 04:50 PM

It took literally hours (3~4) for my machine to upgrade (a 2014 13" Retina MacBook Pro), and I think it even did three firmware upgrades (at least the same screen came up). Only to do another install. That has never happened to me before, installs were usually much, much faster.

If you were using FileVault I believe part of the time was spent converting your volume to CoreStorage.

trazanka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 05:27 PM

There was an old bug on MBP that would cause characters to drop when typing, it is now back with the install of Yosemite. Very frustrating when trying to type passwords or send professional looking emails.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you were using FileVault I believe part of the time was spent converting your volume to CoreStorage.
I don't use FileVault, and if I did, then there'd be no reason to convert to a logical volume.

Does anyone of you guys have a problem with Continuity/Hand Off? I'm trying to make it work, I paired my 2014 Retina MacBook Pro to my iPhone 5, made sure I have activated Hand Off on both devices and nada.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 17, 2014, 06:43 PM

I am having trouble with Continuity/Hand Off. I was able to pair my 2014 MBP with my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini with Retina. Safari will hand off once in a while but nothing else will. I cannot get my iPhone and iPad to pair with each other to hand off something between them.

A complaint I have about Safari in Yosemite is that you cannot clear browsing history unless you clear website data and cookies. Why did they do that? Am I missing a simple "clear history" and only browsing history option?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2014, 06:48 PM

Same here. I've started to read Syracusa's review, and I reckon that at this point in time, your volume is converted to a Core Storage logical volume. Nevertheless, I almost forced a restart -- I'm glad I didn't.
Well, shit, after 2.5 hours, I did force a restart.

It did boot up in Yosemite, but it seems some incompatible 3rd party item causes my system to freeze. Works ok when in Safe Boot.

Any ideas how to check if my install is broken / incomplete ?
Can I just re-install ?

-t

Elbogo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 07:22 PM

Hate the new Safari, really sucks! I have found over the years of using Safari, that manually deleting History, keeps the browser speedier. So I got into the habit of using it frequently. NOW, when I clear History, it also clears History and Website Data - which means I have to resign in to my favorite websites each time I visit!! What? This isn't nice at all and a royal pain!

Which makes me wonder whether I can reinstall the last version of Safari?
( Last edited by Elbogo; Oct 17, 2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added more.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2014, 08:21 PM

I keep getting a download error.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2014, 07:32 AM

just installed. Seems ok functionality wise. Wacom driver didn't like it.

However

Please Apple, make the ugly stop!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2014, 10:09 AM

They did.

The only ugly I've found in Yosemite so far has been the Finder's Dock icon, and the Finder's folder icons (but mostly because OMG blue).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2014, 10:16 AM

The folder icon color is Indeed WTF.

The rest: as flat as a 5 year old.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Oct 18, 2014, 11:47 AM

Agreed, the face just isn't the same... maybe it's time to replace it with something else. (I mean, where else does Apple use the face other than as a picture of the Finder?)

Originally Posted by Elbogo View Post
NOW, when I clear History, it also clears History and Website Data - which means I have to resign in to my favorite websites each time I visit!!
Actually...

1. Open a new tab in Safari.
2. Type: Command-Option-2 (or look for Show History in the History menu).
3. Select all of the links.
4. Delete.

There you go, and all your website data remains in tact.

Oh and while you're at it:

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > the last checkbox to activate the Develop menu > you can empty your cache in the Develop menu here.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 18, 2014, 01:07 PM

Actually...

1. Open a new tab in Safari.
2. Type: Command-Option-2 (or look for Show History in the History menu).
3. Select all of the links.
4. Delete.

There you go, and all your website data remains in tact.
I finally figured out doing the select/delect way to get rid of browsing history. It is too bad that now takes those extra steps instead of being an option under the history menu bar.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2014, 01:14 PM

Update went as smooth as butter for me, and I really enjoy a lot of the changes to the interface, although a few of the icons, notably Time Machine, were better in previous incarnations. I've been following changes to other icons such as the Finder, Safari, etc., closely, and am happy with how they've changed. To be honest, I liked the first iteration of the changed Finder icon the best, but I can understand why Apple bowed to pressure to make it more like previous incarnations. Transparency on the windows and in the menu bars is far more subtle than I expected, and actually has been proving to be a nice change. I also like how the stoplights look much more than I expected (and I had been looking forward to this change).

Notification Centre got a big update, and is finally useful to me, although I don't presume to speak for others.

Aside from some graphical glitches—like tearing of my enlarged cursor, or during bounce back at the top/bottoms of folders—I haven't encountered any major bugs. The only thing that's been annoying so far is that pasting custom icons onto alias folders doesn't work at all.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2014, 03:48 AM

0. Update was relatively quick for me

1. Didn't try

2. didn't try

3. didn't try

4. yep

5. Yep

6. Same thing!

7. Didn't try

8. Not yet

9. Didn't try
Overall Yosemite is better than 10.9 for me. My peripherals are finally sleeping without waking up every 5 seconds, no longer crash or stalls when resuming from screen saver, more responsive, etc.

I found one bug: from time to time, I'd try to open a picture by double-clicking and the finder would say that Preview cannot be opened.. It would resume working a few minutes later...

I hate the new Safari... it's really hard to know what tab is currently selected because the color difference is too subtle. Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to put transparency on the tab/top bar, it's just ugly when you have strange color on the background.. Also, I don't like to have just the top-level domain displayed, I need to know the full URL so I can see where I am, avoid scamming, be sure the https is there, etc. I also crate .webloc frequently and now it's a two-steps process.. (just found out there's an option for that in the preferences) I have a lot of tabs opened and instead of shortening the tabs and putting ellipses in the name, safari just hide the outer tabs so it's hard to go back and forth between them, you have to expend the hidden tab and then click on the tab. Even if you know what tab you want and click on the right one, it will expand uselessly.. I don't like the new location of the back/forward buttons, you have to aim more precisely now.

And what were they smoking with the new spotlight? you can't move the window, can't resize it, you can't right click on the result to open the enclosing folder and it doesn't display the path on the bottom.. so you have to select "show in finder" every damn time.. and you have to click twice to show in finder...

Also they changed the layout of the calculator and it's confusing as hell.. they moved the ÷ and x and the = button is now smaller.

And of course, the interface, which as some has said, looks like it's been designed by a 5 years old who just discovered the gradient button and is stuck on the neon swatch...

At least it's fast and fixed many bugs I had so it's not so bad...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2014, 10:22 AM

Well, Yosemite is a disaster for me so far.

Some 3rd party app / extension / preference pane causes my system to randomly go to the spinning wheel of death after random amounts of time (between minutes after re-boot and many hours). Of course, w/o leaving any trace in CONSOLE that I could decipher.

With SAFE BOOT (Shift), I'm ok.

I have updated all pref panes and apps to Yosemite, no avail.
For the last two days, I've been trying to troubleshot and identify the offender. Thought I had found it. Twice. Still happening.

It's been a while that an OS X Update screwed my system up that badly.

-t

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2014, 11:56 AM

After some time, I have to say the look has grown much more to me than I expected. Despite the initial install hick-up and the continuity problems, things are working very smoothly now. I've finally gotten Hand Off to work (I got cryptic error messages because I used two different email addresses for FaceTime and my Apple ID (even though they are both associated to the same Apple ID).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2014, 09:16 AM

A 3D app I use (Vue 2014) doesn't work at all under Yosemite. There should be an update soon for that (according to e-on software). On a less obscure note....

Yeah, that new Mac face is freaking me the hell out man, and it's been making some very nasty accusations at me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2014, 01:15 PM

I suspected it would be similar to iOS 7 or hell, even the original MacOS X: everyone freaking out about the new look at first, and then after a few weeks admitting that the old OS now felt clunky and dated.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2014, 01:31 PM

yeah, it kind of grows on you. Except for that hideous face.

I noticed that you can disable the imo excessive use of transparencies in System Preferences>Accessibility.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2014, 01:55 PM

Most of what I've been reading about the new interface is positive. I like it a lot, too, on my living-room iMac, and I'm slightly miffed that I can't update the production machine until certain software has been updated.

Kensington
Oct 20, 2014, 05:22 PM

I just noticed the battery status icon in the menu bar is no longer green...in the first version of the beta (I only had the beta for two weeks and then reverted back to Mavericks) it was neon-green-ish and more slender. I think I kinda liked the green better, but I'm a bit partial to green. All in all though I like the whole look, and so far it's waaaay more stable, and a bit more snappy than the beta version I was using

Also, as osiris pointed out, there is a way to deal with the excessive transparency usage, which was the first thing I did as soon as my system finished upgrading.

Thorzdad
Oct 20, 2014, 07:04 PM

donaldkepler
Oct 20, 2014, 11:30 PM

Yosemite beta version worked well for me upto few weeks but as I tried to download it, all things went wrong. Few of my third party applications also exhibiting the wrong results. Thanks god, I have a clone of my Mac already here. Infact a color change in battery icon also.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2014, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Search Engines tend to require questions in order to supply answers.

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
That's because Spotlight starts searching on the net as soon as you type, it's literally the same as in iOS. The story in its original form has already been debunked. There is nothing to be worried about, and even if you still do, you can turn the functionality off.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2014, 05:32 PM

I just installed Yosemite, and I gained an additional 8 GB of space on my SSD.

Is this normal?

2011 27" iMac with user installed SSD
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Ham Sandwich
Oct 22, 2014, 07:37 AM

Is anybody using Dark Mode?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2014, 12:52 PM

nope! It needs refinements.. the menu bar clashes too much with the other windows and the anti-aliasing appears too rough when using dark mode.

Kensington
Oct 22, 2014, 01:13 PM

Strange... it seems my battery status in the menu bar isn't showing the right battery life. Twice in the last 24 hours I've had my battery die on me because the battery has showed being more full than it actually is. Then when I was charging I turned on "show percentage" and it got to 8% and said that there was 2:33 minutes left until charged for over two hours. It wasn't until I turned off the "show percentage" and turned it back on again that it showed the appropriate battery life.

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2014, 02:49 PM

No, because only the menu bar and the Dock go dark -- not the rest of the interface.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 22, 2014, 05:44 PM

No, because only the menu bar and the Dock go dark -- not the rest of the interface.
What do you mean by the rest? How much more do you want dark?

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2014, 07:13 PM

What do you mean by the rest? How much more do you want dark?
I mean sidebars, windows (e. g. window titles and such) all don't change to a darker theme. That's why it looks mismatched to me.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2014, 03:38 AM

Yes, why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules