Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Backlight Life Expectancy

iPod Backlight Life Expectancy
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 03:48 AM

Heya,

Just bought a new 4G iPod. I am using it primarily in my car. Now, I find that having the backlight on makes the screen easier to see, even in the daytime, but it's almost indispensable at night. Battery life is not a problem, since it is connected to the car via an adaptor.

So, my question is: How long should the backlight last before it burns out if I have it on all the time I'm using the iPod? Six months, a year, three years, more, less? Anyone tested this with an older iPod or have any information regarding this?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 28, 2004, 03:58 AM

It's LED backlighting, so it'll last a loooong time. LEDs, generally speaking, have a declared life expectancy of 5 years of continuous illumination before they start to go dim. And then, once they do start, they grow dim very slowly (they do not just spontaneously die).

tooki

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:31 AM

Okay. I won't worry about it then. Thanks for the info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules