Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bird Flu: How Concerned Are You? 50% Die

Bird Flu: How Concerned Are You? 50% Die (Page 2)
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 03:54 PM

didn't we all freak out about SARS and west nile too

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 07:18 PM

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Hi Cody,

Thank you for bring up this very important subject.

I have received the flu vaccinations since that started in the 70's. Don't believe that I have had the flu. Have had bad colds and other types of viruses.

The most important is to wash hands frequently. Drink plenty of fluids. Eight hours of sleep at night.

Pray
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 10:50 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by FulcrumPilot
It's wonder there are things left in this world that we aren't afraid of.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 11:17 PM

Everybody Panic!!!1!11!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
What are you confused about?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 11:37 AM

Hi WD!

I'm back to say hi but now I have to scoot...

See ya here later!

And don't you love the faces?

HA HA HA!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 12:30 PM

hehehehehe.... those faces make me crack up! I love them.

I wish wdlove would love me though. I guess in addition to that prized signature dog, you have something that I want, Cody Dawg.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2005, 12:42 PM

Honestly, having been in a situation where I was 100% convinced that I was going to be killed, I can say that no, it really doesn't scare me at all. When my sole reaction to a spinout across 2 lanes of a busy interstate was simply thinking, "That's it. I'm dead," I realized that for whatever reason I have no real fear of death. I would like to live as long as possible, of course, but when it comes, it comes. Panicking over a potentially lethal flu simply detracts from being able to enjoy each day as it comes.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
A bird is just a poor excuse for a human.
Humans can't fly very well. Perhaps it's the other way around?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 01:55 PM

This ought to scare you. MIchael Brown II is in charge of our flu response!

"The former Assistant Secretary, Jerome Hauer, was also the director of the Response to Emergencies and Disasters Institute at The George Washington University. Prior to being appointed as assistant secretary, Hauer served as Director of Emergency Management for New York City. Hauer is a gradaute of the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health and has served on the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine’s Committee to Evaluate R&D Needs for Improved Civilian Medical Response to Chemical and Biological Terrorism.

His succesor, appointed in 2003 as ASPHEP, is Stewart Simonson. Like Michael Brown at FEMA, Brown is a lawyer who was close to a political benefactor. Simonson graduated from the University of Wisconsin law school in 1994 and served as legal counsel to Tommy Thompson while he was governor of Wisconsin from 1995 to 1999. Simonson then followed Thompson to Washington when the governor was appointed as head of HHS. Simonson’s bio at HHS states that “from 2001-2003, he was the HHS Deputy General Counsel and provided legal advice and counsel to the Secretary on public health preparedness matters. Prior to joining HHS, Simonson served as corporate secretary and counsel for the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK).”"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 02:00 PM

What are you confused about?
Why people like you insist upon praying in fear of something that is both remote, and beyond our control (beyond just waiting until the vaccine becomes available, and using it)?

Do you pray not to be hit in your car right before driving to work everyday?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 02:03 PM

I'm not afraid of the Bird Flu, FEMA will save me in case I ever run into an evil bird. If they don't, Dick Cheney will surely tell the birds that what they are doing is unacceptable, and in doing so scare them off.

We have to be tough against this enemy guys. You're either with the birds, or against them. Anybody who provides safe haven to evil birds will pay the price, although good birds are okay. Even though you can't tell at a glance what the difference is, we expect you to just be very afraid, be on high alert, and perhaps just freak out before asking questions.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 02:11 PM

Go figure, America puts more money into obtaining weapons for their military more than any other country. We could blow up the world many times over (for some reason, this administration continues to pump money into new military technology, many times more than probably any other country per capita, but misses out on armor for their soldiers... I guess that's another story). We are also the wealthiest. We have great access to medicines, intelligent scientists, and a wealth of information is at our disposal... yet, we seem to be the more fearful nation. I somehow doubt that people living in other countries are out buying duct-tape and praying not to be hit by this virus.

I know that saying the 'M' word (Moore, as in Michael) invokes all sorts of uncontrollable knee-jerk reactions from the usual suspects that think he shouldn't be allowed to exist because he doesn't bat for their team, but as far as his central assertion in Bowling for Columbine, he's right. We are a very fearful nation.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Do you pray not to be hit in your car right before driving to work everyday?
I'm an athiest, and I do that.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
Honestly, having been in a situation where I was 100% convinced that I was going to be killed, I can say that no, it really doesn't scare me at all. When my sole reaction to a spinout across 2 lanes of a busy interstate was simply thinking, "That's it. I'm dead," I realized that for whatever reason I have no real fear of death. I would like to live as long as possible, of course, but when it comes, it comes. Panicking over a potentially lethal flu simply detracts from being able to enjoy each day as it comes.

G Barnett
Damn straight!

Also Besson, good Bowling for Columbine reference. Most people write off that movie due to Moore but its soo oodamn right when it comes to fear and America.

My favorite part is the news cast "And we want to remind you to watch out for snakes this year"

Like any other year didn't have snakes, or viruses, or death. Some poeple are so easily scared into submission by silly things.

The ONLY thing that scares me is driving, and the amount of death I have witnessed due to it.

West Nile didn't kill me.
SARS didn't kill me.

This bird flu scare is freakin BS designed to keep us in fear of what we can't control.

Shame on you Cody for buying into it so easily and willingly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 05:02 PM

West Nile was a huge scare around where I live. My parents live in a swamp.

I work outside all day and I've gottten thousands of Mosquito bites in the last couple of years. Yet I still live.

STOP BEING SUCH AFRAID WUSSES AMERICA. Life will happen whether you're enjoying it or scared of it.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 05:19 PM

It's just the further pussification of America. Everyone needs to STFU and GBTW. You're not gonna die of bird flu. christ.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
My favorite part is the news cast "And we want to remind you to watch out for snakes this year"

Like any other year didn't have snakes, or viruses, or death. Some poeple are so easily scared into submission by silly things.

Yes, and when do we *not* look out for snakes? Most of us are afraid enough of the things as it is...

Another way our fears are manipulated: virus hoax emails.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 05:31 PM

Snakes aren't even that bad, I've caught snakes before, even some big ones. Just don't corner a poisonous one and you're cool.

I could die right now if my boiler rusted out and blew through the roof (its right below me, and its old) but seriously, who cares about things that are out of your control?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 05:34 PM

Snakes aren't even that bad, I've caught snakes before, even some big ones. Just don't corner a poisonous one and you're cool.
Have you ever caught a trowser snake?

I could die right now if my boiler rusted out and blew through the roof (its right below me, and its old) but seriously, who cares about things that are out of your control?
Right, and how are we supposed to be on "high alert" for this Bird flu thing? Watch out for scary looking birds? Avoid bird carnage? Wash your hands? Of course, when we're not in high alert I like to put breadcrumbs all over my body to attract scary birds, and I like to swim around in dead bird carnage I find along the side of the road, and I never wash my hands.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2005, 06:12 PM

Have you ever caught a trowser snake?
Only my own

But now I'm off to roll around in my personal pile of dead bird carcasses, please Mr. Bush, HELP ME HELP MYSELF!!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 06:15 PM

Only my own

But now I'm off to roll around in my personal pile of dead bird carcasses, please Mr. Bush, HELP ME HELP MYSELF!!!

It's addicting, isn't it?

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
"Hmmm. Karl.... no more Saddam to catch... Osama is lost in the mountains... the ol' 9/11 invocation is starting to lose its sparkle... how else are we gonna keep people afraid?"

(edit: The president seems awfully concerned with Authoritarianism for my taste, and I worry that this is a nice trial baloon to see how people react to the concept of martial law. The words "martial law" are not to be bandied about lightly in this country.)

Osama is not lost in the mountains. We know his location. It is a political decision for him to remain at large. Not much fun once we catch him? We need him out there on the run, so we can chase.

Pervez Musharraf could had him over to us in 72hrs. The down side to that is that he would be dead in a week. So, we all keep chasing.

As for the Bird Flu, I'm in the 50% that will not die.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope
Osama is not lost in the mountains. We know his location. It is a political decision for him to remain at large. Not much fun once we catch him? We need him out there on the run, so we can chase.

Pervez Musharraf could had him over to us in 72hrs. The down side to that is that he would be dead in a week. So, we all keep chasing.

Chasing is expensive and dangerous, just get him.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
"Hmmm. Karl.... no more Saddam to catch... Osama is lost in the mountains... the ol' 9/11 invocation is starting to lose its sparkle... how else are we gonna keep people afraid?"

(edit: The president seems awfully concerned with Authoritarianism for my taste, and I worry that this is a nice trial baloon to see how people react to the concept of martial law. The words "martial law" are not to be bandied about lightly in this country.)
Willing to offer yourself up as a statistic in support of natural selection?

You MAY be correct, but...
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 02:42 PM

55% of those who become infected, die.
( Last edited by mojo2; Oct 10, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 01:55 PM

Birds really are lame, I don't know why mankind created them in the first place.

Dinosaurs were way cooler.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

You are a bird Kerrigan. And I'm the bird flu.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 01:58 PM

And I just took a bird-dump on WDLove so now he and Cody Dawg are infected.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Not worried at all.

1) The epidemic appears to be travelling along human transportation routes - i.e. it's not being flown around but is going where the farmers are transporting their chickens.
Sounds like avian flu free-SUV have a future then.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'm not afraid of the Bird Flu, FEMA will save me in case I ever run into an evil bird. If they don't, Dick Cheney will surely tell the birds that what they are doing is unacceptable, and in doing so scare them off.

We have to be tough against this enemy guys. You're either with the birds, or against them. Anybody who provides safe haven to evil birds will pay the price, although good birds are okay. Even though you can't tell at a glance what the difference is, we expect you to just be very afraid, be on high alert, and perhaps just freak out before asking questions.
I say WOT II.

Avianorism is teh evli.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 16, 2005, 02:23 PM

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2005, 02:28 PM

Anyone stocking up on TamiFlu? I just did. It's not fear, it's being prepared. Don't confuse the two.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2005, 02:34 PM

Go figure, America puts more money into obtaining weapons for their military more than any other country. We could blow up the world many times over (for some reason, this administration continues to pump money into new military technology, many times more than probably any other country per capita, but misses out on armor for their soldiers... I guess that's another story). We are also the wealthiest. We have great access to medicines, intelligent scientists, and a wealth of information is at our disposal... yet, we seem to be the more fearful nation. I somehow doubt that people living in other countries are out buying duct-tape and praying not to be hit by this virus.

I know that saying the 'M' word (Moore, as in Michael) invokes all sorts of uncontrollable knee-jerk reactions from the usual suspects that think he shouldn't be allowed to exist because he doesn't bat for their team, but as far as his central assertion in Bowling for Columbine, he's right. We are a very fearful nation.

Anus man speaks rectally once again! Some species never die.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Anus man speaks rectally once again! Some species never die.
Congratulations for a well-thought, deeply pondered, considered and subtly articulated argumentation.

Fear is the tool to control populations and has been used since intellect got us out of the water. Same intellect will find reasons to fear more than there is as well.

Hence, the usage of tamiflu against the mutated avian flu... [url=[QUOTE=Artful Dodger]Anus man speaks rectally once again! Some species never die.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations for a well-thought, deeply pondered, considered and subtly articulated argumentation.

Fear is the tool to control populations and has been used since intellect got us out of the water. Same intellect will find reasons to fear more than there is as well.

Hence, the usage of tamiflu against the mutated avian flu... Totally useless.

Emile M. Cioran

ambush
Banned
Oct 16, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Not worried at all.

1) The epidemic appears to be travelling along human transportation routes - i.e. it's not being flown around but is going where the farmers are transporting their chickens.

2) The only people getting it at the moment are those in very close contact with the birds. For example, last week a guy died from bird flu after drinking a duck's blood because it's some kind of delicacy over there.

3) I'm able to go entirely self-sufficient at the drop of a hat.

4) I'm as hard as nails. Bird flu is actually scared of me.
Load yer 12 gauge and wait for them lootas.

I can hear the "get out of ma prop'ty"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 05:11 PM

Are you suggesting that we shoot black people, ambush?

ambush
Banned
Oct 16, 2005, 05:14 PM

I suggest we go buy ammo before the government takes control!

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast

Hence, the usage of tamiflu against the mutated avian flu... Totally useless.

You are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it. Let me guess, you are not a doctor. So, Tami Flu MAY not work according to the latest study™. I got it for free, anyway. It's not like I'm fully dependant on it. So relax...i'm well aware of all the doubt, it's nothing new. Like you care if i die or not? I also invested in penny stock NNVC. Do it too---you'll thank me later. Spare me of your view on the evolution of fear. I don't care. I'm going on a ride on my motorcycle ...see ya when I return.

Btw, linky no worky

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Hi WD!

I'm back to say hi but now I have to scoot...

See ya here later!

And don't you love the faces?

HA HA HA!

Hi Cody!

It is always awesome to se one of your posts.

Yes, I will look forward to our next time together.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 05:51 PM

You are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it. Let me guess, you are not a doctor. So, Tami Flu MAY not work according to the latest study™. I got it for free, anyway. It's not like I'm fully dependant on it. So relax...i'm well aware of all the doubt, it's nothing new. Like you care if i die or not? I also invested in penny stock NNVC. Do it too---you'll thank me later. Spare me of your view on the evolution of fear. I don't care. I'm going on a ride on my motorcycle ...see ya when I return.

Btw, linky no worky
Sorry the link does not work, and glad you are somewhat informed.

I think I will invest in something that'll work.

In the meantime, happy spending!

If I were you, I'd invest in a secure facility instead.

Tinfoil hats may work too.

Emile M. Cioran

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2005, 06:45 PM

Anyone stocking up on TamiFlu? I just did. It's not fear, it's being prepared. Don't confuse the two.
You can get it before you even get the flu??? I assumed that it would be like other prescription medicines and only be available to people that need it. Where did you get it and where can I get some and why do some people think that it won't work when the newspaper says it's our only hope?

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
It's just the further pussification of America. Everyone needs to STFU and GBTW. You're not gonna die of bird flu. christ.
Actually 35,000 Americans every year die of the ordinary flu, so if the bird flu goes pandemic a lot more than that will.... probably even some people that have posted in this thread!!!

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
during that time, if I go out and get some water and food for a short while, will I be okay? (assuming a bird doesn't fall out of the sky and into my mouth)
No it will sweep the globe for a year or three and you will have to go out for water many times not to mention going to work every day. It will be spreading amongst the humans at that point and they will be what you want to watch out for... not birds.

I do agree though that the likelyhood of a bird flu pandemic is purely speculative and is merely the current panic-of-the-week, so I am now going to go back to worrying incessantly about being hit by a bus.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2005, 12:07 AM

Sorry the link does not work, and glad you are somewhat informed.

I think I will invest in something that'll work.

In the meantime, happy spending!

If I were you, I'd invest in a secure facility instead.

Tinfoil hats may work too.

You are 99% correct. Security is the best thing. Kind or ironic for someone who is anti-fear. I'd think you'd be a little riskier than that. I have hope, I trust the economy. It's a great time to invest right now since many stocks have plummeted due to unsubstantiated fear, creating many undervalued diamonds in the rough. Do your studying and you'll be surprised at how many of those stocks will rise. Also, one's investments depends on the type of investor one is and the portofolio balance. It's not wise to rule out nano-technology since that seems to have the potential to be next seasons 'ipod.' Do your research, get a clue, and broaden your perspective. You'll find out, it's way to early to imply that NNVC wont work. My portfolio is way too conservative for you to worry about my security. Everyone has their style. But you are right large cap stable stocks is a good way to go in the long run. But why live in fear, right? Take a risk if you can afford it it. Most mac folks on this forum seem to be pretty well off so I don't feel alone.

According to the latest study™ tinfoil has does not work. Stock plummets.
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Oct 17, 2005 at 01:18 AM. )

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 12:34 AM

Hi Cody!

It is always awesome to se one of your posts.

Yes, I will look forward to our next time together.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope
That reminds me of some survey where over 90% of people believed they were smarter than average.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 05:50 PM

You are 99% correct. Security is the best thing. Kind or ironic for someone who is anti-fear. I'd think you'd be a little riskier than that. I have hope, I trust the economy. It's a great time to invest right now since many stocks have plummeted due to unsubstantiated fear, creating many undervalued diamonds in the rough. Do your studying and you'll be surprised at how many of those stocks will rise. Also, one's investments depends on the type of investor one is and the portofolio balance. It's not wise to rule out nano-technology since that seems to have the potential to be next seasons 'ipod.' Do your research, get a clue, and broaden your perspective. You'll find out, it's way to early to imply that NNVC wont work. My portfolio is way too conservative for you to worry about my security. Everyone has their style. But you are right large cap stable stocks is a good way to go in the long run. But why live in fear, right? Take a risk if you can afford it it. Most mac folks on this forum seem to be pretty well off so I don't feel alone.

According to the latest study™ tinfoil has does not work. Stock plummets.
Your post makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

Reminds me of that guy who dropped a bomb incognito between two countries at peace.

Then he started to sell them the weapons of their demise and got fat on it.

Isn't it true that the price of gold soared the day after 9/11? And that many got really rich from it?

Ah! There is opportunity in Human misery isn't there?

Next terrorist attack on the U.S., I will remember to put my money where it counts.

Nothing personal here Artful Dodger. Just sarcastic is all...

Emile M. Cioran

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I`d be more worried that when martial law was put into effect, that only `certain` people would die, and large groups of `certain` supporters would die. You know?
If this birdbrain flu would only infect liberals it would indeed be a gift from above.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2005, 06:04 PM

Your post makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

Reminds me of that guy who dropped a bomb incognito between two countries at peace.

Then he started to sell them the weapons of their demise and got fat on it.

Isn't it true that the price of gold soared the day after 9/11? And that many got really rich from it?

Ah! There is opportunity in Human misery isn't there?

Nothing personal here Artful Dodger. Just sarcastic is all...
If that's what you think, then you have not even bothered to look up NNVC. How is that stock banking on people's misery? I hope you don't have the same view for the polio cure and penicilin. Those 2 drugs have ended a lot of misery for a lot of people. You have a problem with capitalism. So do I, but it's not like i'm investing in tobacco or guns...it's nano-technology for crying out loud!!! Anyway...NNVC went up 65% today. Try this one.....another good call for now is Leapfrog....educational toys for children....Now that's a good purpose. Take Care, Pendergast....i've had a good time chatting with ya

Forum Links
Forum Rules