Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Latest Updates screw up my mini

Latest Updates screw up my mini
shawnh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 05:30 PM

Everytime I install the latest Security Update and Safari 3.1 (not sure which is the culprit, guessing security) my Mac gets all messed up.

First time I installed them my mac just kept rebooting constantly. Plus if you let it reboot the startup keys won't work. I had to force shutdown then do the keys to reinstall leopard.

Second time, leopard couldn't find any users, it sits for 10 mins with a blue screen, then brings up a login screen with the only option as other. It didn't accept any logins.

So I've reinstalled leopard twice now. I have never made any hardware or major software modifications to my mac. I am 100% sure its one of the latest updates. I am in the room while my mac is updating and never notice anything unusual. I've tried every repair option from the install DVD, it says my harddrive is fine every time. My mac does chime every time I start it up.

What should I do?

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2008, 05:46 PM

Are you doing a clean install (erase & install), archive & install (bring over old users to clean install, creating a "Previous Systems" folder), or just a plain old upgrade install (avoid!)? Try archive & install, and if that doesn't work, you may need to wipe the drive and just start over.

You can also just try doing a PRAM reset (command-option-P-R until second boot beep at startup) and see if that helps. Or if you can ever get to a desktop, try repairing permissions.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shawnh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Are you doing a clean install (erase & install), archive & install (bring over old users to clean install, creating a "Previous Systems" folder), or just a plain old upgrade install (avoid!)? Try archive & install, and if that doesn't work, you may need to wipe the drive and just start over.

You can also just try doing a PRAM reset (command-option-P-R until second boot beep at startup) and see if that helps. Or if you can ever get to a desktop, try repairing permissions.

Steve
Oh I got it working again after each reinstall. Its just the update screws it back up. Should I just go on without ever installing it, from what I hear this security update is pretty important?

Forum Links
Forum Rules