Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Top Case (wrist-pad) Chips

View Poll Results: What is the condition of your MacBook Top Case (Wrist-Pad)?
Poll Options:
My MacBook's Top Case is fine. No signs of cracking, splitting or chipping. 27 votes (43.55%)
My MacBook's Top Case has a single chip, crack, or split 23 votes (37.10%)
My MacBook's Top Case has multiple chips, cracks, or splits 12 votes (19.35%)
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll
MacBook Top Case (wrist-pad) Chips
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 03:25 PM

This thread/poll is for MacBook owners. My top case has chipped around the edge, and I'm noticing that lots of other peoples are doing the same thing. (I'm a mac tech so I see lots of MacBooks). I haven't yet tried to have Apple warranty this. However my warranty is almost up so I need to do it soon. Better to start the compilation thread sooner rather than later.

So vote on the poll, wether or not your MacBook has chipped.

And also post pics if you can. Hopefully Apple will replace all of the damaged top cases under warranty.

Why?
I am no structural engineer, but here is my take on why the chipping is so common. Two factors that I can see. One is that the top case has a very thin lip that extends over the bottom case along it's entire edge. This is a very thin lip and therefor very fragile.
The second factor is the MacBook's size. Its so much thinner than the ibooks. There is a lot of flex in the base of the MacBook. You can easily lift up one of the feet while leaving the other 3 feet flat on a table. I assume this is just part of what happens when you make your laptop as thin as you can. The case flexes, and tears the thin little edge on the top case.

This is why I am VERY anxiously awaiting the rumored 'Aluminum cased MacBook'. Hopefully it will be here soon, maybe even with a Bus-Powered Firewire Target Mode :-D

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 03:39 PM

My MacBook:

Close Up of Chip:

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 10:22 PM

Oh well so much for this thread being popular. But the good news is that I've read elsewhere that Apple is replacing these pieces under warranty. Thats good.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 04:37 AM

this happened to me tonight. I couldn't find the piece that chipped off. I need to know if Apple replaces this free of charge. I mean WTF I've had this thing since like late april and I baby it.

jonic00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 10:47 AM

Hey guys,

My Macbook has the same crack that you showed I008com. This is the second time it happens to me. The first one was in May or so. After talking to the guys at Apple, they replaced the top free of charge. After seen your picture, I started looking around on the web, and i have found a bunch of people showing their Macbooks with the exact same crack. It makes me think that this is a design issue.
Apart from the fact that it is very annoying to deal with this every 6 months or so, what it really worries me is what will happen when the 3 year warranty expires if this keeps happening...
( Last edited by jonic00; Oct 2, 2007 at 05:25 PM. )

kelso
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2007, 11:29 AM

I haven't had a crack like that but I have small chips at the edges of case. Around the opening.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 12:48 PM

I had a broken off edge to the right of my Rev. A MacBook's trackpad button just like l008com. My local Apple Store replaced the entire top keyboard assembly in a matter of hours and all is well now.

turnedge762
Oct 4, 2007, 07:30 PM

My Macbook had the chip from the lip on the top of the screen. It took a great deal of arguing with the Mac genius, but he finally agreed to replace it under warranty.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2007, 01:26 AM

So wait, are all of these chips happening on white MacBooks? I have a friend with a white MB, and sure enough, she had a chip. I have a black model, and no problem.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2007, 04:45 AM

I think I've seen some pictures of black macbooks doing this also.

jeez I hope I don't have to argue with someone to get this fixed. Anyone got tips on how to argue it in case I do have to.
Bla Bla Bla

mjnoreen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 10:46 AM

Two in the front... both about 1" long.

I love my Macbook, but the unit is not very durable. I don't beat it and I don't baby it. I also have a broken battery latch cover (the plastic white cover that you can open with a quarter) got a little soft from the heat and came off entirely. Next the aluminum mechanism underneath spins freely and the battery can fall out at anytime. I have a clear Speck cover in place that holds that it.

My Macbook (white) is only 14 months old... again, I love it but the build quality/durability isn't much to write home about. Next one will be a Macbook Pro - hopefully more rugged.

AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 11:14 AM

I've heard of cracks appearing on the case AND screen. So would this a "No" to getting a new macbook?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah Apple has replaced my top case under warranty. And my warranty only had like 5 days left in it too :-) But as soon as I pointed to the chips, he was like 'oh ok'. I didn't even have to convince him. Thats good that they do that. And the fact that its so wide spread means that aluminum macbooks are even that much more likely :-)

SpencerLavery
Oct 25, 2007, 07:32 PM

I have exactly the same as l008com's. I'm printing all of these threads in anticipation of an argument over my babied 3 month old MacBook when I take it to the store this weekend.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by SpencerLavery View Post
I have exactly the same as l008com's. I'm printing all of these threads in anticipation of an argument over my babied 3 month old MacBook when I take it to the store this weekend.
I didn't have to argue. I didn't even have to speak. Literally I pointed to the chips and he say it and goes "ok" and thats all I had to do for that. Pretty good.

turnedge762
Oct 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I didn't have to argue. I didn't even have to speak. Literally I pointed to the chips and he say it and goes "ok" and thats all I had to do for that. Pretty good.
That's awesome. They really should have more consistent customer service on common issues like this. Better yet, they could fix the design defect that causes these chips.

turnedge762
Oct 26, 2007, 04:27 PM

I had another thought. Is there any reason that fixing the inside casing so that it doesn't chip the wrist area would open Apple up to a class action lawsuit if they didn't do a recall and replace everyone's inside casing?

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 01:03 AM

I have a Blackbook with two 2-inch cracks on the perimeter, it's good to hear they're replacing the top cases though.

I do have to say, this, the discoloration... Apple, find someone else to make your plastics. Aluminum works, I suppose, but I had a 12" PB and that thing bent wicked easy.

indietim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 01:41 PM

My MacBook just developed a crack... *sigh*

This model has been a real pain in the arse, it crashes and turns off without saving when it runs out of battery instead of gracefully sleeping/hibernating, it freezes unexpectedly once a week or so (hopefully Leopard will solve that) and now the hardware is falling to bits.

Good to hear Apple is replacing these things. Time for a call to the kind folks at AppleCare.

Details:
Purchased June '06
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2007, 02:11 PM

I have this MB for five months and there is no crack. However, I can see an indent in the invisishield on the wrist pad area where the lid hits. I think often of the broken wrist pad problems. The university I go to has a huge number of Mac people. Way more than the last school I attended. So I have tried to keep a running tally of how many I see that are or are not broken. Contrary to this pole it seems to me that way less are broken than there are MacBook in circulation. Though this completely ignores age, MB generation, so on. A friend has on that is all chipped up. Frankly, I'd be embarassed to even carry it around. There is a huge chip along the entire left side of the keyboard deck. One on each palm rest, and part of the deck on the right side is actually lifting up off the case about an 3mm. Looks like a real POS. If i was Apple i'd be ashamed.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

UPDATE:

I spoke to a Mac Genius at an Apple Store in Walnut Creek today and he told me that they would replace the topcase free of charge.

He also verified that it was a "Casting Flaw"

The way the topcase is cast is flawed and this is what causes the cracks along the wrist-pad

I REPEAT A "CASTING FLAW".

This is the first verification that their is an actual issue with many of the macbooks.

Send it in and they should replace it as long as it is under warranty.
Bla Bla Bla

cleary_jp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 08:29 PM

Does that mean the topcase they replacing the chipped ones with won't have this problem again. Have they fixed the "Casting Flaw". I want to buy a new Macbook after Christmas but issues like these make me think I should get an iMac instead...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 12:41 PM

I had the same chunk missing as l008com, as well as an additional chunk missing from the bottom-right corner. Took it in to an Apple store, got it repaired in less than an hour. According to the genius, the issue is caused by the shock of plastic-on-plastic when the laptop is closed too vigorously. I have to agree with him, as every crack I've seen is in the same place: right where the little plastic bumpers on the top meet the palmrest on the bottom.

But the good news is that my iffy trackpad button was finally replaced as well! Truly this is a Festivus miracle!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Maraudox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2008, 09:16 PM

I'm glad that someone actually get theirs fixed free of charge...

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and now they refuse to fix this exact problem telling me that I broke it.
As I live in Denmark, it would seem that Apple here in Europe don't know the first thing about service.
I base this, also, on the fact that you can only call Apple to complain. They write on their website that it is free when you have bought a piece of their hardware - a macbook should count as an unlimited amount of calls within the 90 days - but when I recieved my phone bill.. well what do know, of course they charged me, even for wainting in line.

Safe to say I'm pretty pissed off. All I want is my MacBook back and they can't keep their spare plastic casing that they actually want me to pay extra for - the repair bill is 25% of the computers original price (for a piece of plastic that'll break again in no time).
I have a Ipod and it works great, so it seems that when apple products work; its bliss, and when it breaks.. you are utterly and totally ****ed.. at least if you live in Europe, because Apple doesn't give a ****.

I'm sad to say it, but this will be the last time i buy a mac - doesn't matter how good it looks and how neat OSX is.

mike868y
Feb 20, 2008, 09:19 PM

Mine is not cracked yet, but I can already see the signs of denting where he case cracks and I am pretty upset because this mac was new at christmas. I leave the "foam" sheet in between the screen and the keyboard, do you think that this contributes to the problem? also, will apple replace it is not under apple care?

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2008, 02:49 AM

Yes they replace it. Took me about one day to get it fixed.
Bla Bla Bla

mike868y
Feb 22, 2008, 01:35 PM

even if it is not under applecare? I am thinking about buying extened aple care just in case this happens

richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 01:50 PM

Mine has cracked and splintered on the left and cracked on the right! Hopefully getting a new macbook as its been repaired 4 times for various things!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mike868y
Feb 23, 2008, 11:22 AM

so will they or will they not cover it when not under warranty?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:25 AM

I didn't own my MB too long just over a year but when I did, I had not problems with chipping.

techtrucker
Senior User
Feb 23, 2008, 11:42 AM

I've had mine a bit over a year, it does see regular use. Two cracks as seen below. I just haven't taken the time to bring it in yet, I need this machine on a daily basis.

MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:47 AM

This is obviously a design flaw... not a "casting flaw". Just look at the case. There are two protrusions on the lid that when given a moderate amount of pressure cause cracks and chips in the bottom case. I put this on my partner's MacBook the day he got it and I think it's the best solution around. It doesn't look nearly as bad as the picture makes out. I think it was a great investment.

mike868y
Feb 24, 2008, 07:37 PM

no one has yet to answer me if they will cover it when it is not under warranty

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
no one has yet to answer me if they will cover it when it is not under warranty
Well go to an apple store and see. Just point to the chips and be like "i heard you are fixing these?" If they whisk your MacBook away as fast as they took mine, they don't even check to see that it's not covered :-)

mike868y
Feb 24, 2008, 08:00 PM

k thanks, so i take it its not worth it to buy apple care just for this proble

sunshine345
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2008, 02:51 AM

how do i know if i have warranty? or what proof should i bring to the store?

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
My MacBook:

Close Up of Chip:
the case cracks from the pressure of your palm on that part of the laptop. the right side is more likely because that side isn't supported by screws on that inside. mine did the same thing i had to super glue it before the piece fell off

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jun 22, 2008, 03:32 PM

Got a crack at the bottom right wrist pad. Still attached so I'm gonna order a Moshi wrist pad to keep it in better shape. Other than that my first gen CD MacBook is in basically flawless shape. 2 years old and almost zero discolouration.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 11:03 AM

A chip appeared on the right side of the wrist rest of both my MacBook and my wife's in the past week. Glad to hear this is covered under AppleCare—I was assuming they'd tell me it was due to ill treatment on our part, even though the missus hasn't moved hers from her desk in ~ a month.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 11:11 AM

My Macbook has cracks on both sides where my wrists lay. Looks ugly =[

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2008, 07:38 AM

My C2D Macbook (bought Nov 2007) has just cracked - just like l008com's.

It must have been yesterday, though I didn't notice when it happened. Very infuriating.

I read in the other thread that the Regent Street AppleStore will do a while-you-wait fix under warranty. I hope that's the case, I'm going to try and take it in this week.

trashcan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2008, 02:03 PM

my laptop had the same issue, it was chipped away on both the right and left sides of the casing similar to the picture earlier in this thread.

mine is still covered under warranty (for 2 more weeks unless i extend), so i took it to the apple store in chestnut hill, ma yesterday. i just told the guy at the genius bar that i need them to replace the top case because i have that problem with chipping. he nodded without even seeing the computer. he said it's a design flaw (and it's not caused by your palms resting there, it's from the two slightly raised spots above the screen that hit the casing when you close the macbook). when i showed it to him, i asked if this is still happening on the new macbooks and he said no, they changed the manufacturing on the newer models. i asked what would happen if my computer was out of warranty and he said since it's a manufacturing defect, they'd replace the top case regardless of whether or not it's under warranty.

so, i dropped it off around 7:30 last night, received a phone call at 11:30 this morning that it was fixed and picked it up this afternoon looking as good as new.

Jonmoyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 05:49 PM

My free Applecare 90 days is long expired but I called tech support and was immediately promised an entirely new top face including trackpad and keyboard!! I hope they put the keys back in Dvorak!:-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules