Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto '04 wont launch...hmmm

iPhoto '04 wont launch...hmmm
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 17, 2004, 02:47 AM

Just installed iLife '04 and now iPhoto wont launch on my desktop system. I installed from the DVD along with all the other apps which all launch and operate fine. Maybe I'll try to install it from the CD and see if that changes anything.

Installing on my Gigabook right now to see if it is successful on it.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 17, 2004, 03:04 AM

Well thats pretty stupid, I cant even try to install with the CD because the installer knows I have a DVD drive and wont allow the CD installer to run... Hopefully a restartt will do the trick.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 03:10 AM

Select the installer on the DVD. Then "Show Original" from the File menu. This will open a Finder window with all of the installers. Then run the iPhoto installer all by itself.

Chris

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 17, 2004, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
Select the installer on the DVD. Then "Show Original" from the File menu. This will open a Finder window with all of the installers. Then run the iPhoto installer all by itself.

Chris
I did end up doing this, it also helps to remove any iPhoto receipts from Library/Receipts/ just to be safe.

The only oddity still is that after the install iPhoto has a generic app icon...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
The only oddity still is that after the install iPhoto has a generic app icon...
It did for me as well; however, a simply logout/login did the trick...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 12:25 PM

It might be a permissions issue, so check the size of the app. it should be 103MB.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 17, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
It might be a permissions issue, so check the size of the app. it should be 103MB.
103.1Mb over here. App works fine, I just gave it a custom icon.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
103.1Mb over here. App works fine, I just gave it a custom icon.
Wild, mine is right at 103MB as well...

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Wild, mine is right at 103MB as well...
"Weird wild stuff" Mine is also exactly 103MB.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 07:37 PM

My DVD/CD drive is damaged at the moment so I had to install take the iPhoto 4 package off the disc and transfer it over my network to my PowerBook. But when I go to install it I get an error:
The Installer package "iPhoto" cannot be opened.
The Preflight script was either not executable or not readable.

What does this mean?
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
It is a permission issue. I had the exact same thing happening after installing from the DVD. Run repair permissions and it should be okay. Notice that repair permissions shows that most iPhoto permissions are wrong and that an executable is marked non-executable. Your icon will return after a reboot or possibly just a logout.

Sophus

Forum Links
Forum Rules