Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Setting up an FTP.

Setting up an FTP.
Carbonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 11:40 PM

Hello people.

I was wondering how would I set up an FTP? I will try to explain this the best that I can, but I am not good at these computer stuff..

I am using a Linksys router
I am using MAC OS X 10.3

And what I want to be able to do is like on the FTP program is like set the access rights ( username, pass etc ) and like the directory to list the files..

Is there a program that I can do this with? And, how do I configure my router so people can download off of me?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2004, 11:51 PM

If I were you, I would create a new user and set the files you want others to be able to download in that new users "Home" folder somewhere...

Then, all you need to do is enable FTP Sharing via the "Sharing" prefPane in System Preferences, the address listed below in that pane will tell you how others can access your computer via FTP.

All the other person will have to do is type in that address given to you with the username and password of the new user account you created first and they'll be able to access the files you placed in that new users "Home" folder...

Carbonic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 12:10 AM

Huh? I am confused...

Do I really have to make a new account?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 12:17 AM

You do not need to create another account, but it's a VERY VERY VERY good idea.

REMEMBER FTP is NOT secure. If you are at work, and someone is sniffing the line, they will get your user/pass and walk in to your account and do whatever they want.

I've seen it done, and know how to do it, and it's easy.

Now that that's out of the way,

1) Turn on FTP in System Preferences.

2) Go in to the preferences in your Linksys router and forward port 21 to port 21 of your computer.

(Remember, your cable modem/DSL will have it's own IP address, and your computer will have it's own IP address)

Again, I wouldn't do this.

Carbonic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 12:20 AM

I am at home..

Oh and I am on a router.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 12:21 AM

If your not really sure, I'd try using a program like Rumpus.

Your also going to have to go into your router and forward port 21 to the IP that is found in your Network control panel (probably something along the lines of 192.168.x.x). Here are some pictures that might help.

Carbonic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 12:22 AM

sorry for double post, but i dont know how to edit..

but how do i set the settings on my router?

i am using linksys..

if you have aim it would be easier. my sn is last symphonies

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 12:48 AM

I am sure your router came with some documentation (if you lost it it's very likely you can download it from Linksys' website).
It will have a nice HTML interface where you can forward that port.

-

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 12:34 PM

Here is a walk-through to setting up your LinkSys with port forwarding for running a server at home.

rsh
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2004, 01:12 PM

Nicely done car1son! You've put together a very helpful resources.

My two cents: unless you are positive that what you require is an FTP server, consider simply turning on the the "Allow Remote Access" option in the Sharing prefpane. This will give users access via SFTP, a much more secure way to connect. Most modern FTP clients like Transmit, Interarchy, and rBrowser can use this option. I'm sure it is much the same on the Windows side. It is secure and free.

If you are SURE you want to do the FTP thing, I haven't found a better or easier option than CrushFTP. It is inexpensive ($25 for 10 concurrent users), flexible, and works well. It even features Auto IP Discovery, which should help a lot with your router/firewall issue.
( Last edited by rsh; Mar 8, 2004 at 01:21 PM. )

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by rsh:
My two cents: unless you are positive that what you require is an FTP server, consider simply turning on the the "Allow Remote Access" option in the Sharing prefpane. This will give users access via SFTP, a much more secure way to connect. Most modern FTP clients like Transmit, Interarchy, and rBrowser can use this option. I'm sure it is much the same on the Windows side. It is secure and free.
Where is this "Allow Remote Access" option?

All I see is "Remote Login," which is for ssh and Remote Desktop (Apple's own Timbuktu-like app).
( Last edited by Spliff; Mar 8, 2004 at 10:41 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Where is this "Allow Remote Access" option?

All I see is "Remote Login" is is for ssh...
Same thing.

Enabling SSH automatically allows SFTP (secure FTP), or at least it does on OS X Client.
SFTP is very much like plain old FTP, except the passwords are NOT transmitted in clear text; they are encrypted bidirectionally. Much more secure since its more difficult to snoop out a password (what's that called? "Man in the middle" hack or something like that).

If you want to give friends/coworkers access to files on your machine, the best thing to do is set up a separate, restricted (non-administer) account. Call it "remote" or something similar if you want. Activate Remote Access in the Sharing pref pane and give your trusted contacts the password to this limited remote account. Put the files you want to share in the remote account's Public folder.
This way, you can keep your personal files private and allow other secure access to files you specify. Otherwise, without a separate account, you'd be giving out your personal account's password. Not a good idea.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
If you want to give friends/coworkers access to files on your machine, the best thing to do is set up a separate, restricted (non-administer) account. Call it "remote" or something similar if you want. Activate Remote Access in the Sharing pref pane and give your trusted contacts the password to this limited remote account. Put the files you want to share in the remote account's Public folder.
This way, you can keep your personal files private and allow other secure access to files you specify. Otherwise, without a separate account, you'd be giving out your personal account's password. Not a good idea.
Hmm. I enabled Remote Login for a non-admin standard account. When I logged in with Transmit, I had access to my entire hard drive. I was not restricted to the public folder or to the home folder of the guest account. That's not secure at all.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:04 PM

Hmm. I enabled Remote Login for a non-admin standard account. When I logged in with Transmit, I had access to my entire hard drive. I was not restricted to the public folder or to the home folder of the guest account. That's not secure at all.
The accounts have the same read/write permissions locally and remotely (and that makes sense).

-

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 11:31 PM

Not quite. Non-remote admin users will not be able to go into the other home folders of other users. While your remote account may not be restricted to its own home folder, it will not be able to modify other files to which it was not given write permissions to.

This is the give and take situation between SFTP and regular FTP. FTP servers can "jail" a user to his/her own folder (technical term being "chroot"). I'm not certain if SFTP allows that just yet.

EDIT: Whoops. I guess it is possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules