Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ACARD ATA-133 Hardware Raid (model AEC-6880M) Problem

ACARD ATA-133 Hardware Raid (model AEC-6880M) Problem
coitus
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 04:02 PM

I have been using this card for the past year in a G4 450 DP tower running the most current versions of OS X (10.3.4 at present) in a mirrored (type 1) set-up with two maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM drives.

Just recently the Master drive failed. I intended to move the slave to the master slot, drop a new drive in as a slave and keep on trucking but things haven't worked out. Can some offer some advice as to the proper procedure to achieve this goal or direct me to a tutorial explaining the process.

In particular, am I incorrect in thinking I can pull the master...move the slave to the master position (changing appropriate jumpers)...drop an empty drive (of equal size) into slave position and have the RAID do the rest?

I've been using Apple's Disk Utility but have been unable to rebuild the RAID and don't know if that is truly what I want to do. Anyway, I'm in the dark and hoping for a ray of light.

thanks,

coitus

Cincinnatus
Jun 23, 2004, 03:32 PM

I have the same card, but run in RAID 0 (fast but dangeresque), so I haven't tried these (somewhat confusing) directions, but that doc is straight from ACARD. Looks like you may have to boot off an OS 9.x disc, and run an ACARD utility to get your Mirror back. It also seems like each drive should be Master on its own bus (the 6880M has two independent IDE busses).

/Cincinnatus

Forum Links
Forum Rules