Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Convert Sony's MPEG VX format to standard mpeg4?

Convert Sony's MPEG VX format to standard mpeg4?
bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:12 PM

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. So far i've tried Quicktime7.03 pro's "export to ipod" option. Video looks great, audio is history. Audio is also missing if i convert to .avi. I'm guessing this is some sony proprietary standards issue, but i'm wondering if you can get around it somehow...

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2005, 09:14 PM

What uses this format?

bwatson009  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
What uses this format?
Certain Sony "consumer level" digital cameras that can also record video up to 640x480 at 30fps. I have all these short videos of my kids that i've taken over the last couple of years, just want to see if i can get them onto the ipod!

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

gwschreyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:02 PM

Try a program called MPEG StreamClip (Versiontracker). It will require support from a QT plug in that you have to buy from Apple, but it works. This allows me to get the MPEG files from my Sony camera with the audio intact.

It MAY work with the other Sony format.

- gws

bwatson009  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by gwschreyer
Try a program called MPEG StreamClip (Versiontracker). It will require support from a QT plug in that you have to buy from Apple, but it works. This allows me to get the MPEG files from my Sony camera with the audio intact.

It MAY work with the other Sony format.

- gws

awesome, which plugin? I'll give it a try!

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

bwatson009  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bwatson009
awesome, which plugin? I'll give it a try!

b
nevermind, it tells you what is missing!
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

gwschreyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:32 PM

it's called the MPEG-2 Playback Component

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

note that MPEG Streamclip can do things with this component that QT cannot do.

- gws

bwatson009  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by gwschreyer
it's called the MPEG-2 Playback Component

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

note that MPEG Streamclip can do things with this component that QT cannot do.

- gws

Very true! Success! I will continue to try to streamline the process but i do have it working as a two-step process. Convert to mpeg 4 with no audio compression using Streamclip (great app!!!) at 320X240. ( i tried compressing audio using the AAC option, but lose audio halfway thru the resulting file)

Without compression, the resulting file will not move to the ipod via itunes sync,(errors out, file compatibility issues) but if i then export it via QT using the "movie to ipod" option, it plays the video and audio crystal clear on the ipod. I may be creating steps by not properly using Streamclip, but this works and is relatively simple. Sounds like i don't quite have the right settings for the audio compression in Streamclip, but i'm happy none-the-less! When i have the final easiest procedure i will document with screen shots so if anyone else has a camera using this format, they too can put their movies with audio on their new ipod.

THANK YOU! Advice like this is priceless.

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

gwschreyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by bwatson009
Very true! Success! I will continue to try to streamline the process but i do have it working as a two-step process. Convert to mpeg 4 with no audio compression using Streamclip (great app!!!) at 320X240. ( i tried compressing audio using the AAC option, but lose audio halfway thru the resulting file)

Without compression, the resulting file will not move to the ipod via itunes sync,(errors out, file compatibility issues) but if i then export it via QT using the "movie to ipod" option, it plays the video and audio crystal clear on the ipod. I may be creating steps by not properly using Streamclip, but this works and is relatively simple. Sounds like i don't quite have the right settings for the audio compression in Streamclip, but i'm happy none-the-less! When i have the final easiest procedure i will document with screen shots so if anyone else has a camera using this format, they too can put their movies with audio on their new ipod.

THANK YOU! Advice like this is priceless.

b
you are most welcome. I had the same problems with some video and somebody on some forum turned me onto this solution.

just returing the favor in kind

- gws

Forum Links
Forum Rules