Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Method to get Ratings from iPod to iTunes?

Method to get Ratings from iPod to iTunes?
swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 15, 2007, 03:11 PM

Read second post for my solution. Below is the problem I ran into.

Moved over my iTunes library to the shared folder so I can access and rate iTunes from my iBook, copied EVERYTHING, changed the Library location in iTunes- doesn't matter, lost all my ratings, and play counts still.

Is there a way to get this data back from my iPod into iTunes.

I cant just sync the iPod in iTunes because since I moved the Library, iTunes now thinks that the iPod is linked to a different Library and asks if I want to erase and relink the iPod with the newly located Library.
( Last edited by swiz; Nov 15, 2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: fixed)

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Nov 15, 2007, 03:40 PM

Well it looks like Im screwed this time other than looking at my iPod ratings in iTunes and manually rating them again.
But I did find this little app which will save me in the future.

Rating Writer 1.0 - MacUpdate
It will add your rating to the comments field of your songs, then you just create a Smart playlist like this:
"Comments" contains "1", "2", "3", "4" or "5" then you just have to select all in that playlist and right click "Set rating as *"
I cant get it to "Restore" the ratings (probably because the app was written for iTunes 4.5).

This method, will always leave your rating in your track and you will never lose your ratings again

Im looking into creating a script that will do this nightly on its own.

Anyone wanna help?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules