Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD-RAM fried media?

DVD-RAM fried media?
coitus
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2000, 12:16 AM

I've had a G4 450 DP since late August and have tried to get some experience with DVD-RAM media. I bought one 5.2 GB disc and while one side initialized fine the other side did not and now it won't mount or show to be anywhere visible no matter what application or method I try.

Can someone tell me if there are any set rules on setting up DVD-RAM media. I was trying to do a UDF on one side and HFS+ on the other. Well, the MacOS Extended side will mount but the other side will not and I can't get it visible to reintialize or reformat. Advice anyone? What exactly did I do wrong?

Thanks,

coitus

marka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2000, 06:54 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have advice for your problem. If you insert the unrecognized media MacOS should ask you if you want to reinitialize it.

I have been using my DVD-RAM for some months now for backup. I initialized four sides using HFS+. While it works pretty much as expected (it's great to have that much backup space), I often get corrupted volumes. So far Disk First Aid has always fixed them but I've had a small number of lost files (which I had other backups for).

So in practice, I've had to run Disk First Aid before and after using DVD-RAM write sessions. This has solved my problems but it seems something isn't right. I'll try UDF and see if I have more reliable performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules