Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Things That Are Bugging Me About 10.7 . . .

Things That Are Bugging Me About 10.7 . . . (Page 3)
P
Aug 9, 2011, 01:03 PM

Somewhere on the mousepointer there is the single pixel where the click actually registers. That active pixel can be moved to any point on the display, and no further. In the case of the arrow, that active pixel is in the top left black pixel, which means that the white line ends up just off the screen. IIRC, the only change to that arrow is that it gained a shadow at some point - the active pixel is where it always was, so the arrow has always behaved that way.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2011, 01:10 PM

Lion Tweaks will let you turn off certain features of Lion that you don't like.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 01:21 PM

Mouse pointers going off screen - of all the things to pick nit.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 10:11 PM

I'm taking back this thread. Why? Because Address Book is such a disaster of an app! Is like they took all the worst parts of the old Address Book, and emphasized them. And took all of the good parts of the old Address Book, and removed them. I honestly can't imagine Address Book possibly being much worse if they tried.

And iCal... that stupid pop-up menu/window thing that shows your different calendar. If you actually use multiple calendar, that's a real shitty interface. I'm annoyed at how much Apple has stepped back the OS to make it easier for newbs. Some of us know how to use a computer, and so many of these new features are giant boat anchors slowing us down.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
And iCal... that stupid pop-up menu/window thing that shows your different calendar. If you actually use multiple calendar, that's a real shitty interface. I'm annoyed at how much Apple has stepped back the OS to make it easier for newbs. Some of us know how to use a computer, and so many of these new features are giant boat anchors slowing us down.
Agreed. iCal is wonky at best. The drop-down calendar menu is awful. This brings me back to my biggest complaint with Apple software. Give me options! I understand software can become bloated, but this habit of just yanking out functionality is getting old. Let me decide whether I want a sidebar. You left that option in Mail. Why not iCal?

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
...but this habit of just yanking out functionality is getting old...
Wish they'd yank out "functionality" in iTunes which has become the MTV of OSX (e.g. it claims to be music but it does/plays everything but music).

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2011, 04:53 PM

I'd like "pro" versions of iTunes, iCal, Addressbook, like FinalCut vs iMovie. Give me all the options on the "pro" version. They can keep their ilife newb versions.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 04:57 PM

I don't get people's complaints about iTunes being bloated. iTunes does many things, but there's a difference between doing many things, and being bloated. iTunes doesn't have a bouncing paper clip asking you if you want to check out XYZ new music. That said, it could use some better performance, better multithreading, and for christ's sake, let it rip multiple CDs at the same time if you have multiple optical drives connected to one Mac!

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2011, 05:11 PM

Trackpad control options for multi-touch are way too variable and not obvious at all.
For the life of me I can't figure out how to get this to select between desktop screens or full-screen applications. Four finger up and down work as expected as does 4 finger squeeze and expand (Expose, mission control, dashboard, show desktop). 4 finger left and right don't do anything in normal operation, but they do if I'm in mission control (select between desktop screens).
--edit-- The 4-finger left-right motion started working after I rebooted a few times and then turned off the 4/3 finger left/right motion and then turned it on again. /edit

3-finger will move a window but only if I select the frame first, otherwise it selects text starting with the cursor position. Why?
( Last edited by tadd; Aug 21, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: figure out the bug)

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2011, 07:41 PM

I don't get people's complaints about iTunes being bloated. iTunes does many things, but there's a difference between doing many things, and being bloated. iTunes doesn't have a bouncing paper clip asking you if you want to check out XYZ new music. That said, it could use some better performance, better multithreading, and for christ's sake, let it rip multiple CDs at the same time if you have multiple optical drives connected to one Mac!
iTunes plays music well but why does it need a store, video library, book library, etc. I'd put some of that in iSync, QuickTime Player, and the Mac AppStore and let iTunes be a lean music player. THis is what happens when there's no competition...I'd love an Audion or SoundJam program to come out (SongBird doesn't count)...or even a MusicMonkey clone would be welcome. No competition means no compelling reason to change iTunes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
iTunes plays music well but why does it need a store, video library, book library, etc. I'd put some of that in iSync, QuickTime Player, and the Mac AppStore and let iTunes be a lean music player.
Why cross-platform software sucks, exhibit 428a.

freudling
Banned
Aug 15, 2011, 05:43 AM

So after several months with Lion, I have to say, I like it, but it also feels half baked. Launchpad for example. Total waste. Then there's address book: fugly. Mail and Spotlight? I've either got an indexing problem or it's Lion's problem. I've already re-indexed.

And versions... what a train wreck it's been for me so far. I think Save As didn't need fixing, because it wasn't broken.

freudling
Banned
Aug 15, 2011, 05:46 AM

Guys is it just me or is Apple really doubling down on mobile? The iPad is great. iOS is great. Software like Pages and iMovie on the iPad blows away what's on OS X in terms of overall experience. I realize they can't do as much... but, it seems like Apple and the traditional PC is sort of dying off. I feel a bit lost with Lion here... Anybody else?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 05:48 AM

Desktop computers are still computers. And Lion can't change that. I find Lion to be pleasant on my MacBook Pro. But those same features are annoying and in the way on my Desktop. Again, if Apple would just have some options in the prefs, rather than setting things up one way and one day only, many of these complaints would be gone. "Discrete Expose & Spaces -or- Mission Control" for example.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 12:35 PM

On Lion Photo Booth:

Like:
* full screen mode

Dislike:

* the replacement of the transparent Photo Both folder with yet another obscure and illogical "Photo Booth Library".
* the QuickTime 4 -ish interface element to switch modes (between photo/movie) is a rolling switch, which is just as dumb today as it was in the 90s.
* performance and stability (it's slow and crashy)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The arrow cursor has a white outline. I assume its hot spot is not on the outline, but at the top left of its black part (other cursors have their hot spot even more in the middle, like at a finger).

Now let's assume the cursor could only be moved until the outline touches the left of the screen, but the hot spot is one pixel to the right, then you couldn't click the leftmost row of pixels on your screen. Wouldn't that bother you even more?

Who gives a crap about something like this anyway?
Who gives a crap about your opinion anyway?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
AFAIK, this has been the case since at least 1989, when I got started on Macintosh.

I suggest you learn to deal with it.
Nah it wasn't like that, you're just making it up and again, full of it (i.e. it being Apple apologism and immensely patronizing attitude with a highly inflated opinion on self-worth)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why cross-platform software sucks, exhibit 428a.
Apologize for Apple's stupid design decisions much?

All this is an exhibit for is that Apple has long lost focus on making apps focused, simple and easy to use and doesn't feel like making the effort of making the Mac experience any different than whatever Apple is offering on the Windows side.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Nah it wasn't like that, you're just making it up and again, full of it (i.e. it being Apple apologism and immensely patronizing attitude with a highly inflated opinion on self-worth)
No, he's right on this one.

As has been pointed out, if it weren't that way, there'd be a whole row of pixels on the left side of the screen that would be unclickable.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 07:02 PM

WTF, dude?

Cold Warrior
Aug 18, 2011, 08:21 PM

Let's focus on the topic not the person.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2011, 04:11 PM

Don't complain now. Most of you have been defending Apple and helping to justify their idiotic changes to the Mac UI since OS X 10.0 beta. As the Macintosh has been being killed slowly over time, and Apple has kept drinking more and more of its own Kool-Aid, seems that most Mac people just lapped it up.

I mean, where were you all when they killed WindowShade and the Apple Menu? Did you raise a protest when the ControlStrip went bye-bye, or when they stopped using plain English names for everything in the OS? Did you complain when they buried your documents folder two layers deep into the structure?

Did you write an angry letter when they failed to have a hierarchical folder structure in iPhoto and iTunes and Aperture, instead going with a single level of organization (albums/playlists)?

Were you mad when they made the iPad without any way to access its files from the Finder, and without any way to organize your documents on the device how you want to organize them? Did you complain that you want to be able to sort your photos into folders nested within folders as many layers deep as you feel like?

Or did you smile and nod, accepting that burning Blu Rays and opening AVCHD movie files from your camera and hooking things up via standard cables was all stuff only PC people would ever want to do? Even though -- at least for awhile -- Apple seemed to realize that the Mac should at least conform to industry standards like DVD, VGA, and USB, did you not bat an eye when they began to shift back to proprietary cables and ports and cease to support video from consumer video cameras and stop being able to play standard video discs, obviously by Apple's choice and not due to technical limitations?

When Apple shoves all this down your throats do you swallow or spit it back?

There was a time for circling the wagons to save Apple from doom. But that time is over. Now it's time to stand up to Apple, before it's too late and the Mac is dead and gone forever and we're stuck on a proprietary platform that ignores backwards compatibility and sideways compatibility alike. Enough is enough!!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2011, 04:37 PM

This is the dumbest post I've read on the MacNN forum in quite a while.

P
Aug 21, 2011, 05:11 PM

OK, wow.

To answer your question: Yes, I was there for 10.0. I was in the public beta and I sent about a million feature requests then and actual bug reports later. Things were rough for a while, but they improved, and that is a big part of the reason why I'm sort of giving them the benefit of the doubt this time - although I haven't upgraded to Lion yet, waiting for some patches and considering how I will handle the loss of Rosetta.

The rest of your complaints are rather unfocused. They don't support Bluray, OK. You know the reason for that, I assume (the licensing and protected media path bull). What proprietary ports have they introduced? By my count, they have reduced them as mini DisplayPort is at least a standard, which the previous "mini" video ports weren't. Thunderbolt is not really Apple's idea, it's Intel's, but it doesn't really replace anything else, because there is nothing that is comparable. No, USB 3.0 is not it: way higher latency and lower bandwidth, which means that they can't be used for the same things. BTW USB 3.0 will show up when Intel puts it in the chipset, which should happen for Ivy Bridge in the beginning of next year.

So...what should we object to? That Apple didn't freeze the OS in time like XP?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2011, 08:30 PM

Actually the biggest thing they broke for me wasn't on that list.

I liked having icons stay where I left them. Once upon a time I would organize the icons in my folders by position and color. For instance, I would have tonight's version of my newsletter in the lower right of the folder, including MSWord, PageMaker, FreeHand, TextEdit documents. The previous version, which was my starting point, would be in the upper left corner of the folder. Backup copies of the PageMaker files would be in the upper right. Now if I want to open the appropriate file I don't need to paw through some sorted list by date or name or something. i can go right to where I left the thing. Closing and opening folders didn't used to lose the organization. At most I'd use the Finder to lock the icons on grid lines. I'd never the icons by date or name unless I was totally lost.

Now Apple only plays lip service to location being meaningful.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2011, 11:37 PM

Has anyone heard about any top secret preferences that let you run Expose and Spaces as separate items again, like pre-Lion? Mission Control is kind of nice on my small screen macbook pro, but on my dual screen desktop, Mission Control is significantly less useful than separate Spaces and Expose.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2011, 08:25 AM

Has anyone heard about any top secret preferences that let you run Expose and Spaces as separate items again, like pre-Lion? Mission Control is kind of nice on my small screen macbook pro, but on my dual screen desktop, Mission Control is significantly less useful than separate Spaces and Expose.
No, do you of such a feature/prefpane or are you hoping someone has already figured this out and you're trying to coax them to post the big secret?

Forum Links
Forum Rules