Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 5200 800MB hard drive jumper settings

5200 800MB hard drive jumper settings
coitus
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2000, 03:18 PM

Okay, I have used my unPerforma 5200 since 96 and am now wanting to lend it to a friend to let him test drive the Mac OS, and hopefully get him away from the evil empire. My problem is this...some years ago I replaced my original 800 MB ATA Conner hard drive with larger Maxtor drive. In the process I think I changed the jumper settings on the drive. Further, the drive won't mount now and I know it was working fine prior to my changing of the jumpers.

In short, I'm trying to figure out the proper settings for my original drive and if someone could please post those I would greatly appreciate it. Looking at the drive, there are 9 columns pins with 2 rows. Looking at the drive (from left to right) the first column only has a pin in the top row and the 6th column doesn't have any pins in either row. Further, I don't know the actual Jxx settings of the different columns, so I can't be technically accurate.

Many thanks,
Coitus

The Wolfe
Sep 19, 2000, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure a 5200 would impress anyone, but I applaude your intentions none the less.

How are you attempting to mount the drive? If you booting off a CD, what version of the System Software are you using?

I'd never heard of Apple using anything but Quantum drives in the Performa's. Conner drives are even cheaper (less expensive) than Quantum's, so I don't doubt it.

I doubt that you messed up the jumpers when you pulled the hard drive out of the computer. We shall see.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 12:35 AM

Just give each column a whirl - I don't think you can fry your drive by doing that. You only have 7 choices anyway.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules