Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GryBlu X theme...

GryBlu X theme...
George Lampman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 07:04 PM

A little theme I'm playing with. Someone mentioned a less distracting theme so I made the static stae buttons almost non-existent. let me know what y'all think.

G-diddy

realeyz
Apr 26, 2002, 07:14 PM

Looks great but the corner of the window needs work. Maybe make it less rounded and clean up that dark area.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: realeyz ]
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2002, 07:32 PM

Yeah, window corner really need works. But other than that, it's looking good

BTW, Where the hell did you get that Fight Club's soap icon?! I want it!

Patrick_Bateman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>Yeah, window corner really need works. But other than that, it's looking good

BTW, Where the hell did you get that Fight Club's soap icon?! I want it!</STRONG>
I love that Fight Club icon...Please tell where.

George Lampman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 07:37 PM

Adam, check your email...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2002, 08:20 PM

I kinda like the way the apple menu is a thing growing out of the bar. Maybe the three widgets could be more like that. And when they become active just glow from behind instead of being replaced by those bright colored square things. I don't think those are going to appeal to the 'subtle' theme crowd.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 08:22 PM

i like the way the widgets fade into the background, are you working on other parts of the theme like scrollbars, buttons, tabs etc?

oh, and that fight club icon's cool, where can i get that please?

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 08:26 PM

hey george, your theme is almost as popular as that fightclub icon...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 08:32 PM

Hey, that's not bad! It's the first theme that doesn't look like absolute **** .

Waterman
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 08:45 PM

Hmmm. It looks a little to XP-ish to me, but by all means keep going, since I probably won't be changing my theme for a while. I have Chosen my theme, and I think I'll be sticking to it:

http://<a href="http://www-scf.usc.e...jpg</a> <br />

For me, this is the new benchmark against which all other themes will be judged.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 10:57 PM

Hey dark, are you saying that Alumitex, my QNX theme, CosenOS etc, all look like ****?

I seriously doubt that this theme surpases quite a lot of other themes at this point but it has real potential to be a kewl theme...

My suggestion is kind of along John's, make the Theme look EXACTLY the same in the disabled state as it does in the active state except void of color. In the active state it should look like there is color embedded deep in the widget that is shining through... not like a completely different widget.

NICE job though. I love your Apple menu.

Mac Guru

mattstoton
Senior User
Apr 27, 2002, 06:51 AM

I like it... when its ready we'll add it to the X Themination theme archive.
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

HAL9000
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2002, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
<STRONG>Hey, that's not bad! It's the first theme that doesn't look like absolute **** .</STRONG>
Surely a "slight" exaggeration, that?
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

George Lampman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone! Thanks for all the comments and advise. I may even use some of it! The previous screenshot represent the "blue stae of the theme. Here is a screenshot I have planned fot the "graphite" state.

And here's another shot of what I have so far:

and here's a shot of a problem I'm having:

I have built this theme off of the Silver Xp extras.rsrc. Max has this nice gradient that shows up in the finder toolbar and i had hoped to do the same here. Doesn't seem to work in the finder, yet it works in some other programs (like Unrar shown here)

As I'm sure you can tell I have no idea how most of this stuff works and I'm just flying by the seat of my pants here!!! Any help would be great!

Is anyone working on a tutorial for themeing? God I sure could use it!

George Lampman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 10:11 AM

here is another shot of the gradient. Looks great here! Help! Why wont this work.

George Lampman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 10:36 AM

Oh, here's the ever popular fight club icon for everyone to dl. I can not remember where I got it from.

Sorry.

G-Diddy

Fight club soap icon

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2002, 01:38 PM

Um.. Where did you got those background of grass?

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 02:14 PM

from what little i have done in can tell you that the Finder contains a lot of its own resources within the app itself. items such as the view buttons , path eject and back button.... as well as the app shelf icons.

Not that that should actually affect the background but it may be a place to start.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder/ "Show package contents" --&gt; resources folder

Zaz

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

<phil>
Apr 28, 2002, 04:32 AM

wow, this looks damn nice, i even like the look of the window-borders. but pleeease make the scroll-bars matching to the theme (xp-style at the moment, right?) and of course it would be absolutely great to have some matching icons ;-)

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 28, 2002, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by George Lampman:
<STRONG>
I have built this theme off of the Silver Xp extras.rsrc. Max has this nice gradient that shows up in the finder toolbar and i had hoped to do the same here. Doesn't seem to work in the finder, yet it works in some other programs (like Unrar shown here)

As I'm sure you can tell I have no idea how most of this stuff works and I'm just flying by the seat of my pants here!!! Any help would be great!

Is anyone working on a tutorial for themeing? God I sure could use it!</STRONG>
I'm just glad I can help other ppl start theming. The problem with the gradient is that it's not working well in thousands of colors and I think it's because it's only 1 pixel high.. If you expand it to 5 pixels it will probably work better.

I think a tutorial would be great, it would help bringing more themes to OS X. The problem is that it's rather complicated to explain everything and the person who would write such a tutorial must be willing to spend quite much time writing it.. A solution might be if someone started writing a tutorial, posted about it on this forum and other ppl could contribute more tips and tricks to it. Is anyone feeling up to the challenge..?

Mafoo
Apr 28, 2002, 09:04 AM

What is this new found craze for making XP styled themes? I really dont get it. There is a lack of originality with OS X themes, not helped much by the crappy support for them from apple (cocoal not reading layouts etc)

I can see that a lot of work wet into the theme. Romm for improvement: round the window title bars off less, and reduce the highlight.

just my 2 �

-mafoo[

Forum Links
Forum Rules