Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Burner Apple OEM only?

Disk Burner Apple OEM only?
dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 08:59 AM

According to Apple's TIL:

Hardware Required
iMac or later computers that have an internal Apple CD recording drive.
I hope this isn't all it's ever going to work with. I have a brand new QPS Que!Fire 12x burner and would love to use it with Disk Burner.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2001, 09:10 AM

SJ indicated that plug-in drivers would be available in the next "30-90 days" for other CDRWs...

I would guess that practically every USB or FW CDRW will be covered within a few months (hope so, as I have a cheap & cheerful ZipCD)

umm, not sure what this has to do with OSX though? iTunes doesn't even seem to be Carbonized yet...

..wulf..

[This message has been edited by wulf (edited 01-10-2001).]

vasu
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 10:34 AM

iTunes it the combination of 3 things. 1) Soundjam + 2) CD Master from Radialogic 3) Apple's UI

Apple bought sondjam from casedy and green, and radialogic so they wouldn't have to start from scratch. so they just need to carbonize the drivers probably and do some remaining tweaking into the new product that is the marriage of two others. I haven't tried yet, but I think iTunes runs in OSX, which CD Master didn't, so they need to carbonize all the drivers for 3rd party drives.

-vasu

Lord Kenja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 11:21 AM

....I haven't tried yet, but I think iTunes runs in OSX, which CD Master didn't, so they need to carbonize all the drivers for 3rd party drives.

-vasu[/B]
No. It won't. iTools don't have the 'carb' resource that indentifies a carbon app to Mac OS X (well I think it can be done with a 'plst' resource too acturlly). So Mac OS X will start it in Classic.

Anyway. SoundJam WAS released in a Mac OS X specific version.

Also drivers might not be much of an issue in Mac OS X since it relies more on standard drivers. Mac OS X have a much more robust and intelegent driver structure. And will most likely need specific drivers to support most drives. Just a generic CD-R one.

HardWare access is one of the things in Mac OS X that can't just be carbonized. Instead most apps will need to use the new system called IOKit to access whatever devices it needs to talk to - although there might be some higher level access API's created for specific things. Basically that a good thing. Since an application will need to do much less device specific stuff (and can easierly support new ways to talk to a device type). But it does take some time to implement

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2001, 11:35 AM

I'm sending this one to Multimedia DV forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules