Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple critics should stop their pathetic whingeing

Apple critics should stop their pathetic whingeing
baliset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2001, 10:00 PM

I'm now sure that you just can't please some people. Sure, Apple has it's faults, but it has a lot to be proud of. Would you expect Microsoft to take in over 75000 comments on a Beta of Windows and then demonstrate just how they have listened?
No.
Would you expect a company like Compaq to bring have the creativity to introduce technology like DVD-R that has the potential to revolutionise the way we view and store our recorded memories?
No.
Would you expect someone like Gateway or Dell to care enough about the aesthetics of their laptops to make them out of titanium?
No.
Has any other company done more to bring technology like video editing, previously costing 5 and 6 figures, to consumer levels? (in fact,make the hardware standard and give away the software for free?)
No.

Stop your pathetic whinging. I myself had concerns about Apple's malaise, their arrogance, their G4 hassles, and their too-different approach to OS-X. But now, I'm converted. Apple deserves to wipe the floor with Microsoft, Intel, and many of the PC manufacturers who should hang their heads in shame for their lack of creativity.

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 10:06 PM

Oh stop your damn whingeing about us whingers and I'll stop whingeing about you whingeing about us whingers...

Cipher13

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2001, 10:07 PM

"Whingeing"? Is that an Aussie term for "whining"?

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 10:12 PM

Hm... must be.
We have whingers and whiners here, and I get sick of both of them personally.
Er... back to the word.
Yeah we have both words, but whingers seems to be prominent...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 01-09-2001).]

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Oh stop your damn whingeing about us whingers and I'll stop whingeing about you whingeing about us whingers...

Cipher13
American translation:

Oh stop your damn whining about us whiners and I'll stop whining about you whining about us whiners...

Doesn't quite sound right. Again a case of "lets get rid of some letters to make it our word...

Any UK'ers here, what do you say?

Cipher13

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2001, 10:16 PM

Hey, it's even in my dictionary...

whinge (hwinj, winj) [Brit. Informal] vi. 1 to whine 2 to complain

jholmes
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2001, 10:31 PM

Nathan you miss the point -

We expect more from Apple because they are the only company on the planet that can do what they do. It is the unique synergy of vision, creativity, OS, hardware design, component construction, and software that makes Apple special. And a great many of us have built educations, businesses and careers around the promise shown in Apple systems.

We want Apple to be better so we can be better. We push Apple and they respond. Often not as fast as we'd like, but sometimes they open whole new worlds to us. And then they let us shape that new world.

That's why we whine.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

helios
Jan 9, 2001, 10:41 PM

<helios puffs out chest>

I, sir, do not whinge! I debate; I remonstrate; I protest. But I do not whinge, wheedle, or whimper! No, sir! I stand proudly against the unfeeling monolith that is Apple Marketing! I rail nobly against the greedy tentacles of Apple Finance!

<pause>

Ok, so maybe I do whinge a bit. But only about matters of profound importance! The whole world may hinge on the flapping wings of a butterfly, the loose hinge on an embassy door, or the failure of Mercury to surpass the ppi of Pismo. All of history turns upon such modest imperfections! We must be vigilant! We must fight the good fight!

<pause>

Oh, alright - so I have a whingeing problem.

But it's not my fault! I was born whingeing... I whinged in the crib, I whinged in school, and I sit here today, still whingeing. Why me? Why have the gods spat on me so, while others were blessed with the ability not to whinge, not even a little bit? WHY ME? And given that I am a whinger, why can't society adjust to my affliction? Why are whingers so reviled from sea to sea in our great land? All we want is perfection - plain, simple, unadorned perfection. Why can't the world provide it? It's an atrocity against whingers! We must band together, unite, into one gigantic blob of whingeing, and claim our birthright: the right to a perfect world, and the right to whinge about it anyway!

Whingers of the World - Unite! And Whinge On!!!

<helios shakes fist>

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 10:53 PM

March on!!

Cipher13

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2001, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by helios:
<helios puffs out chest>

I, sir, do not whinge! I debate; I remonstrate; I protest. But I do not whinge, wheedle, or whimper! No, sir! I stand proudly against the unfeeling monolith that is Apple Marketing! I rail nobly against the greedy tentacles of Apple Finance!

<pause>

Ok, so maybe I do whinge a bit. But only about matters of profound importance! The whole world may hinge on the flapping wings of a butterfly, the loose hinge on an embassy door, or the failure of Mercury to surpass the ppi of Pismo. All of history turns upon such modest imperfections! We must be vigilant! We must fight the good fight!

<pause>

But it's not my fault! I was born whingeing... I whinged in the crib, I whinged in school, and I sit here today, still whingeing. Why me? Why have the gods spat on me so, while others were blessed with the ability not to whinge, not even a little bit? WHY ME? And given that I am a whinger, why can't society adjust to my affliction? Why are whingers so reviled from sea to sea in our great land? All we want is perfection - plain, simple, unadorned perfection. Why can't the world provide it? It's an atrocity against whingers! We must band together, unite, into one gigantic blob of whingeing, and claim our birthright: the right to a perfect world, and the right to whinge about it anyway!

<helios shakes fist>
yes you shoulld all be gathered together, so then we can drop a fusion bomb on you all

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2001, 12:45 AM

"<helios puffs out chest>

<pause>

<pause>

<helios shakes fist> "

<helios whinges>

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2001, 10:51 AM

Well in the UK we whinge and whine

Actually, we don't do either as much as these damn Americans, it seems. I've never read so much negative commentary as I've read today, after such a fantastic keynote.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
I've never read so much negative commentary as I've read today, after such a fantastic keynote.
It's the great Apple Paradox. To trot out the most threadbare analogy still in use in the modern world, Apple is like an automobile company that puts out nothing but concept cars. They're beautiful cars, to be sure, but they're pretty pricey, and most consumers will wait until Dell, Compaq, and the other second- and third-tier design houses copy the look and features of Apple's machines for less money.

What's Apple's option? Stop innovating and try to make ends meet by throwing cheap consumer boxes at the masses? Who, then, is left to drive the industry (pardon the pun)?

It's a hell of a game to be in. Sitting on the bleeding edge means every decision you make looks crazy until the market validates it. An example:

Sales of the top-end Power Mac G4 will be slow to take off, for a couple reasons (I believe):

1. 733MHz, no matter how much Steve spins it, is NOT 1.5GHz. Sure, it's just a number, but bigger is better as far as the average consumer is concerned (if Steve and Phil try that stupid PShop demo/race again, I'm going to puke).

2. $3,500 is still too much money, especially with no monitor. I wonder how much Apple is paying for those DVD-R drives? Which makes me wonder how much cheaper I could get a 733MHz G4 for if I could BTO away the DVD-R drive....

3. Before too long, Dell, Gateway, and Compaq are going to get the same sweet deal that Apple got on the DVD-R drives, and then the prices will really start to come down. DVD authoring software will become cheaper and cheaper, if not free, and Apple's consumer innovations will be overtaken by the Wintel/Winlon masses.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple does at MWT. I'd guess we'll get CD-RW across the iMac line, if not the iBook line, and maybe even a G4 iMac running at 667MHz? Don't know whether they can make a slot-loading SuperDrive....

I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 12:43 AM

I agree with Gee4orce. If you look around the market at the Wintel world and see what they have started including in there boxes like USB and firewire and they call it something new when it's been on the Mac before they even found it fashionable. Apple took a big risk be doing what they did with iMac. Also people talk about Monitors being included. That is the only way PC makers like Compaq and Gateway can get people to buy there Cheap (in both sense of the word) pieces of crap. Dell makes a good machine but like the other PC makers they also have started to skimp especially on one of the most important pieces for connecting to the internet. The modem. People spend 3,000 dollars for a nice Dell system but yet they put a crappy MDP modem in it. And when they have to replace it the put in an almost equally crappy connexant modem, you can get a Good USR modem from them now as an option, but it used to be the only modem you could get with it. So when I hear people talk about such good deals for a PC you have to look at what you get. For like 1200 dollars you can get a PC with a crappy Celeron Processor no one can convince me otherwise that the celeron is a good processor. How come PC makers can't sell you a nice PC with a PIII in it? Why do they continue to use the Celeron? At least Apple is using a Decent Processor in the iMac. One last thing, if you look at this thing that Gateway has on the Market I think it is called the Aero1 and compare it to the iMac the iMac blows it away. Okay maybe one more thing. Compaq's iPaq seems like a good deal but again they use a Celeron Processor and they give you colors (hmmm I wonder where they got that from). Thanks but no thanks I'll pay a little more for my Mac thanks.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules