Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV SE connection to TV?

iMac DV SE connection to TV?
jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 1999, 12:47 PM

Is there a way to connect the new iMac DV SE to the TV to watch DVD movies?

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 1999, 05:10 PM

There is...you have to buy a TV tuner.
EsKape labs offers one that you can buy from either Club Mac or Outpost.com...I believe. However I think they are only taking pre-orders at the moment.
http://www.eskapelabs.com/ProductsMyTV.htm

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 05:54 PM

You'll get much better resolution if you avoid using the USB devices and stick with a scan convertor for the VGA out port. Here's one place to get them:
http://www.FOCUSinfo.com/products/b_tview.htm

There are many more on the market too. The price varies depending on how high of resolution the dvice supports.

gwalrath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 11:41 PM

That looks more like a TV input device - cool, but now what jlemons (and I) are looking for.

What I want to do is take the output of the DVD player in my iMac and pipe it directly to my TV.

Any ideas? I thought I saw a while ago a device that captured the vide from a DVD-ROM in a PC and sent it out to a radio transmitter, with the receiver on your TV.
000000----------0000000
Greg Walrath
000000----------0000000

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 1999, 05:50 AM

The TView Micro should work for your needs... if you need a wireless solution, I haven't seen one.

FYI the TView Micro is inexpensive too (no, I don't work for them). I just realized that their entire product lineup can be intimidating. The micro is $69.
http://www.FOCUSinfo.com/products/tv...view_micro.htm

davi
Oct 19, 1999, 09:28 AM

I've heard that you lose a lot of quality with cheap VGA-video converters like the TView Micro. Is this true? Will it let you watch DVDs from your iMac on your TV with perfect DVD quality?

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 12:50 AM

You loose quality by displaying on a conventional TV anyway. The average TV (older and lower cost sets) only displays at 320x240 (hence the limit for most video capture devices)... higher quality sets are capable of 640x480. Beta was actually higher than the 320x240 (I can't remember exactly what though, it was similar to SVHS which came out years later) that standard VHS uses.

*That is if I remember correctly... I volunteered at a public access TV station for a year a couple years ago.

valentinedwv
Oct 20, 1999, 12:59 PM

Best bet:
Get a TV capable of displaying vga at 800 by 600.
Most Expensive:
buy an HDTV, capable of displaying vga
Most Economical:
Get a VGA to NTSC converted.

marlond
Nov 5, 1999, 05:09 PM

Well I can't wait for my new iMac DV to arrive. That is why I am reading up on all the news.

I can tell you that I have a Focus scan converter($99, 640x480)for my PowerBook 5300.

I have used it for presentations on all varieties of TV's. The output of my PB at 640x480 is probably the best picture any of these sets has ever had.

I have rented a DVD player from the local video store and the picture quality was better, but almost undiscernably so.

Either way you'll be dusting, wiping and fine tuning your humble TV trying to do the DVD justice. The resolution of TV is just too humble.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 1999, 06:36 PM

I'd like to see what the picture looks like with the new Focus iTview product that's selling for $199. It supports up to 1024 x 768. I'm considering getting one but I'd like to know if its significantly better than the $69 version.

uochris
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 1999, 10:43 PM

I don't think the TView will work with an iMac because the iMac refresh rates are too high. The following is frim the TView web page.

Monitor and Resolution Support
Supports up to 16,777,216 colors
24-bit). 640 x 480 60Hz (NTSC),
640 x 480 50HzPAL,
800 x 600 50Hz PAL

I'm not sure if they are talking about the refresh rate of the output source or what the refresh rate would be on the TV. Any ideas? Has anyone actually used this on an iMac?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 1999, 11:58 PM

Check today's (or what will soon be yesteday's) news on iMac2Day for information on FOCUS Enhancements new iTView-DV, designed specifically for the new iMacs.
http://www.imac2day.com/

disectamac
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 1999, 11:49 AM

anyone have any more info on "iTView DV"??!?
Release Date???? any info??

crannell
Nov 22, 1999, 01:49 PM

I e-mailed Focus this morning. According to the very prompt reply, Apple will begin selling it December 1st and full rollout will happen by the end of the year.

So what this means in the world according to the Apple Store is that they will begin taking pre-orders on December 1st. They will ship to resellers (if they plan to allow resellers to sell it) by January 1st and anyone who placed an order on December 1st with the AS will receive theirs sometime around February 15th.

I wonder what wil be different from the iTview and the DV version?

Forum Links
Forum Rules