Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1.3 breaks QuickTime 5.0.2?

10.1.3 breaks QuickTime 5.0.2?
dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 09:42 PM

This is weird, mpeg playback with the QuickTime player absolutely sucks, I cannot play a single movie without it stopping and studdering. But howerver, if I play it in another app that has QT playback the same movie will play just fine! Totally weird I say: MOV and DivX encoded movies play just fine without any hickups. Anyone else see this behavior?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 09:52 PM

In my experience, QuickTime was unresponsive prior to the update to bass and treble changes while the MPEG was playing. After the 10.1.3 update, it is a lot more responsive, but the movie jerks and stutters after the buttons are pressed. Also, the movies are more prone to skipping while I'm doing other tasks. One step forward, two steps back...?

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
<STRONG>Anyone else see this behavior?</STRONG>
i just tried this out, and yes it's true.

pre-10.1.3 i was able to move the quicktime player around the screen whilst playing an mpeg movie without any stuttering or loss of frames, however with 10.1.3 moving the player around the screen causes stuttering etc.

hmm...

superlarry
Senior User
Feb 20, 2002, 10:41 PM

ever have quicktime taking up 98.8% of your processor for a tiny window? or about 25% for a movie that's not even playing? YUCK!!!!!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2002, 11:04 PM

I can say with 100% certainty that 10.1.3 does not break QuickTime 5.0.2.

However, the only reason I can say this is that 10.1.3 installs 5.0.6. And you're right; playback of MPEG's does seem to be broken there. In windowed view, it's much worse than 10.1.2 was, and to be frank it's even worse than 10.0 was.

However, for some reason, fullscreen mode is not affected by this. Nor is any other format's playback, fullscreen or windowed. I have absolutely no clue as to why this might be, but I suspect we're going to be seeing another update within a week or so...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>I can say with 100% certainty that 10.1.3 does not break QuickTime 5.0.2.

However, the only reason I can say this is that 10.1.3 installs 5.0.6.

&lt;snip&gt;</STRONG>
My QuickTime version is still at 5.0.2, and the install of the 10.1.3 update didn't mess up or anything.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>

My QuickTime version is still at 5.0.2, and the install of the 10.1.3 update didn't mess up or anything. </STRONG>
Odd. When I select "About QuickTime..." in the QuickTime preference pane, it insists that it's at 5.0.6. Is that what you used to check your version?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:22 AM

Ah, it looks like QuickTime is being a little indecisive about what version it is...

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 12:22 AM

I just checked my "About Quicktime" box and I appear to be running 5.0.2 too. hmmm. Very strange indeed. Although my Quicktime playback doesn't seem to be adversely affected as others have reported with the 10.1.3 update.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
<STRONG>I just checked my "About Quicktime" box and I appear to be running 5.0.2 too. hmmm. Very strange indeed. Although my Quicktime playback doesn't seem to be adversely affected as others have reported with the 10.1.3 update.</STRONG>
Indeed; it looks like the QuickTime player is at version 5.0.2, but the QuickTime libraries are at version 5.0.6.

This shouldn't cause a problem, but something tells me the version number discrepancy is indicative of a mistake somewhere...

dark3lf  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>I can say with 100% certainty that 10.1.3 does not break QuickTime 5.0.2.</STRONG>
Ah yes, I see the discrepancy now. Weird.

<STRONG>
but I suspect we're going to be seeing another update within a week or so...</STRONG>
I sure hope so, a lot of people seem to be extremely unhappy with this version. Do you think Apple missed these many bug while testing?

Kate
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 07:27 AM

definitely....the player is 5.0.2 and the library is 5.0.6 and yes, the mpg movies perform worse than mov movies while moving the player window. Can anybody say Quicktime 6 ? Hm ? Can it be, that some technology of 6 already dripped into 5 but the mpg codec did not, so that the old codec is less effiecient?

Paso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 08:14 AM

same Problem here, hope we get another update (hinthint QT6?)

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:00 PM

Apple released some new components for QuickTime...I am not sure what they are for, but if you go to your System Preferences-&gt;QuickTime tab-&gt;Install new 3rd party QuickTime Software (radio-button)-&gt;Update Now-&gt;Custom...you will see some new components.

Cheers,

t

MACALEX
Feb 21, 2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
<STRONG>This is weird, mpeg playback with the QuickTime player absolutely sucks, I cannot play a single movie without it stopping and studdering. But howerver, if I play it in another app that has QT playback the same movie will play just fine! Totally weird I say: MOV and DivX encoded movies play just fine without any hickups. Anyone else see this behavior?</STRONG>
10.1.3 is out because QT 6.0 didn't come out, so just wait a bit.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 02:43 PM

Yep, my quicktime 5.0.2/5.0.6 also have started skipping and the window is extremely unresponsive while moved around the desktop. Running top, I see that quicktime running in a small window consumes about 94% of cpu (450mhz). No wonder why it skips and the whole system becomes unresponsive! Apple f*cked up.

Apple REALLY, REALLY NEED TO TEST THEIR UPDATES MORE THOROUGHLY BEFORE RELEASE!!!!

This is not very convincing when I add my three first Kernel Panics EVER to the list of problems introduced by this update (is downdate a word?? If so, it would fit this package)

Sophus

Forum Links
Forum Rules