Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is with this sign in the new apple store?

What is with this sign in the new apple store?
Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 02:39 PM

Why dose this have the AIM icon on it and the omni web icon? Dose any one know what this says?? It seems strang that they have AIM's icon on there. I did not think apple had close ties to AOL. ANy one know? Thanks

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 03:02 PM

I think at this stage of the game, Apple has "close ties" with anybody who has bothered to author a working OS X app. There really aren't many icons to choose from right now
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

Michaelm8000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by rw:
<STRONG>I think at this stage of the game, Apple has "close ties" with anybody who has bothered to author a working OS X app. There really aren't many icons to choose from right now </STRONG>
But AIm for OS X is not even done. Right now is sucks!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 05:00 PM

Yeah, but it's a Big Name that people who are not computer-literate will recognize.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 3, 2001, 05:54 PM

uhh... i think you'll find that's the iTools globe, not the OmniWeb globe

and mike? it's does. not dose.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

undotwa
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
<STRONG>uhh... i think you'll find that's the iTools globe, not the OmniWeb globe

and mike? it's does. not dose. </STRONG>
Actually, it's the OmniWeb icon.
In vino veritas.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>

Actually, it's the OmniWeb icon.</STRONG>
No, the big blue globe in the top right is the iTools globe. OmniWeb is a green and blue globe (much like earth really! ) and has shapes above it to make the letters OMNI
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

jblakeh1
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 08:28 PM

Are any of you guys on Macs? Running OS X? That's not the iTools icon, check your System Prefs. I believe it is the *new* Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?

In regards to the AIM icon, don't forget AOL is the biggest ISP there is... it's probably there to help reassure potential Windows/AOL converts that they can still use their favorite software... same with Office- they're making it really obvious most popular Windows software also runs on the Mac.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2001, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by jblakeh1:
<STRONG>Are any of you guys on Macs? Running OS X? That's not the iTools icon, check your System Prefs. I believe it is the *new* Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?</STRONG>
Well, the new OW icon isn't available to people who don't know where to look for these things. It's only in the 4.1 sneakypeek series of builds. Anyway, it does look remarkably similar to the iTools icon. I just wonder why they are using icons from unreleased software in their store

StooGe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 08:41 PM

<STRONG>Are any of you guys on Macs? Running OS X? That's not the iTools icon, check your System Prefs. I believe it is the *new* Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?

</STRONG>
Are you on a Mac? Are you running OS X? That is the iTools icon. It's not the Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?

fitter
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 08:56 PM

Let's settle this, shall we?

Old OmniWeb icon:

[EDIT: issue resolved ]

iTools icon:

New OmniWeb icon:

It's not the iTools icon, but it may be the Network icon from System Preferences. Very similar to the new OW icon.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: fitter ]

davidmd
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by StooGe:
<STRONG>

Are you on a Mac? Are you running OS X? That is the iTools icon. It's not the Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?</STRONG>
Actually guys... it isn't either. OmniWeb SneakyPeek 4.1sp7 has the globe for it's icon, which is almost what is in the picture (see the north and south america and the little Cuba sticking off?), but there are the iTools lines on the globe that are NOT on the OmniWeb icon. Strange... looks like Apple melded the iTools and OmniWeb 4.1 globes.

davidmd

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 09:06 PM

...come on fellas, is it really worth it?

jblakeh1
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 09:07 PM

I can settle this.

I checked all my OS X paraphenalia, for what it is worth, the blue globe does not exist in the OS X GUI anywhere. It is not the iTools icon. It is, however, in the original 10.0 box on the inside flap with the caption 'Designed for the internet age. It looks like a photorealistic version of the Network icon.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by davidmd:
<STRONG>

Actually guys... it isn't either. OmniWeb SneakyPeek 4.1sp7 has the globe for it's icon, which is almost what is in the picture (see the north and south america and the little Cuba sticking off?), but there are the iTools lines on the globe that are NOT on the OmniWeb icon. Strange... looks like Apple melded the iTools and OmniWeb 4.1 globes.

davidmd</STRONG>
Wasn't one of the OmniWeb icons an aquaesque pumpkin with the states, cuba etc.. on it? Anyways.. while it does look like there may be lines and the omniweb icon.. When you sharpen and englargen the image in photoshop, it appears that there aren't really any lines, rather it is a compression/photo problem. I may be wrong though.

I was going to post this, but fitter beat me to it :shrug: ...

EDIT: Good catch jblakeh! I guess that makes my post irrelevant

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Synotic ]

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2001, 09:18 PM

it's definetly omniweb
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by StooGe:
<STRONG>

Are you on a Mac? Are you running OS X? That is the iTools icon. It's not the Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?</STRONG>
Well...

I am on a Mac. I am running OS X.1, with the good ol' reliable shift-command-4 willing and able to take a picture of my iTools icon (from the iTools tab of the Internet pane in System Prefs).

Open with Preview, export to JPEG, post to web...

<STRONG>Is it really that hard to look before posting?</STRONG>

Well, IS it?

I don't know about the OmniWeb globe, but this is definitely NOT the globe from the Apple Store photo at the beginning of the thread.

EDIT: Damn, you guys are QUICK

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: FormerLurker ]

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2001, 09:37 PM

LOL

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: IceEnclosure ]
ice

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<STRONG>EDIT: Damn, you guys are QUICK
</STRONG>
Exactly.. lol.. I hope I get this out first for once..

It is a dirty scan from the box.. My scanner is like 5 years old...

It seems that OmniWeb stole that icon but just took away the lines...

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 09:57 PM

why didn't they just put the familiar "e" on the poster?

and as for why the AIM icon is on the poster.. there is no AOL for OSX icon, so the AIM will have to do for now

one
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>

Actually, it's the OmniWeb icon.</STRONG>
...uh, actually, it's not. It's definitely in the style that Apple's been using lately (I've noticed several variations on the theme since MWSF '00), and nothing like the graphic style used for the OmniWeb icon/logo.

Lacking the 3 geometric shapes in RGB is a big tipoff, in case you need one.
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by one:
<STRONG>

...uh, actually, it's not. It's definitely in the style that Apple's been using lately (I've noticed several variations on the theme since MWSF '00), and nothing like the graphic style used for the OmniWeb icon/logo.

Lacking the 3 geometric shapes in RGB is a big tipoff, in case you need one.</STRONG>
You seem to be thinking of the old OmniWeb icon. The new icon no longer has the 3 geometric shapes. Take a look at the new one and you'll see why he thought that. Then look at my scan and see how familiar they are.

one
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 10:16 PM

Good sleuthing, guys!
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 12:31 AM

The picture in the Apple Store photo is indeed the same pic used on the inside flap of the Mac OS X 10.0 box.

It's also quite similar to the OmniWeb 4.1 icon. We know we're sort of treading on thin ice with our new design, but thus far all our Apple contacts like it. It is (intentionally) subtly different: Apple's "Mac OS X is the Internet OS" globe has silver-white continents and iTools-esque "networky" lines encircling it, and OmniWeb's continents are a glowing icy blue, with no "networky" lines. But we decided it was worth it to press forward with this design, as nothing else looks quite as cool or communicates as effectively our message that OmniWeb is THE web browser designed for OS X.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 08:25 AM

As far as ties between AOL and Apple, I was surprised to find an installer for AOL 5 on my new iBook. It doesn't come preinstalled like it did a couple years ago but its now there again.

And there is an AOL for Mac OS X icon, however it's pretty ugly. I like Rick's icon a lot better.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 11:02 AM

and as for why the AIM icon is on the poster.. there is no AOL for OSX icon, so the AIM will have to do for now
au contraire. AOL for OS X does indeed have an icon...

oranjdisc
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 01:20 PM

Also, think about this logically. Those banners in the store were most likely printed weeks (if not months) ago, so it's theoretically impossible for the Apple design department to include a logo from a browser that hasn't even come out yet! Come on...it just doesn't make sense.

Then again, I am surprised they don't put the IE "E" icon on that banner, for EVERYONE knows that. More than that AIM thing.

I sure wish Apple would come out with their own instant messenger that ties in with AOL and MSN. Perhaps they're waiting to see what happens between the two, as in, making services available between clients.

We need it. Gerry ICQ be damned.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2001, 01:27 PM

<STRONG>Are any of you guys on Macs? Running OS X? That's not the iTools icon, check your System Prefs. I believe it is the *new* Omniweb icon. Is it really that hard to look before posting?

In regards to the AIM icon, don't forget AOL is the biggest ISP there is... it's probably there to help reassure potential Windows/AOL converts that they can still use their favorite software... same with Office- they're making it really obvious most popular Windows software also runs on the Mac.</STRONG>
For me, that's the iDisk icon. If I mount my disk, that is part of the icon that shows up on the desktop. It's hovering over a little harddrive. It IS similar to omni but I don't think it is it.

OK, never mind. It's not iTools. But who cares. It is both kinda. I actually would rather that Apple supported Omni and not IE. Or both, who cares. As long as the store is standing. I'm goin' down to central Jersey today. Wish I was there for the opening yesterday. Time to check out the iPod and see how much faster the new Ti's actually feel.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: mrchin ]
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Camelot
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 03:57 PM

The REAL reason why the AOL/AIM icon is on there is because Apple HAD to include some kind of 'Instant Messaging' product and since they don't have one of their own, and they're not going to promote MSN Messenger, they had to use AIM.

Don't forget, half the purpose (if not more) of the Apple Stores is to educate the PC user. A PC user looking at a Windows XP box is going to see 'built-in instant messaging, allowing you to communicate real-time with millions of other users across the internet'. Without AIM on the board, it doesn't look like Macs support 'instant messaging' and the uneducated PC user might walk away.

Why do you think MS Office is on the board, too?

Marketing is all about looking better (or, at least, no worse) than your competitors.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2001, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>Then again, I am surprised they don't put the IE "E" icon on that banner, for EVERYONE knows that. More than that AIM thing.</STRONG>
Then Joe Clueless will look at the poster and say "Hey, that runs Microsoft, right? Then how come this machine costs more than my Dell?" and walk away in stupor with drool dripping off his chin.

Hey, anything that gives MS less advertising space is OK by me.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

losgatos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 02:34 AM

I don't know what icon that is, but I'd be surprised if it was intended to represent OmniWeb. I think Apple's 1997 deal with Microsoft restricts them from promoting any browser other than IE.
::: losgatos :::
12" PB 1.33GHz

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 06:17 AM

undotwa:

don't post a grafix about twice the width of the browser window. it f**ks up the formatting for the whole topic.

Subzero Diesel949
Nov 5, 2001, 10:13 PM

Pass the popcorn...this is going to be entertaining...

Biggus Nickus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 12:48 AM

It appears to be the same as the Network Preferences icon, at least to me.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by losgatos:
<STRONG>I don't know what icon that is, but I'd be surprised if it was intended to represent OmniWeb. I think Apple's 1997 deal with Microsoft restricts them from promoting any browser other than IE.</STRONG>
I thought that was only a three year deal...

Plus, they've gotta keep M$ on their toes - OS X is cleaning up in the press, whilst XP's getting a serious walloping. Apple don't wanna see M$ products fail on the Mac, but why not add a little healthy competition. I'm surprised Apple ain't bought OmniGroup already - even though it sometimes looks suspicially like an Apple sponsored company...
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 08:30 PM

Wll that looks like the Tice's Corner store and I was there earlier today and I saw that sign, it might be the OmniWeb logo, but it looks like the Network preference in OS X.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 12:24 AM

Is it just me or does it seem that people aren't reading through the entire thread before posting

Let me provide a quick overview..

1. It is not the iTools icon because the icon in the picture has the United States on there while the iTools icon does not.
2. It is not the OmniWeb icon because the icon in the picture has network lines all over it, while OmniWeb does not.
3. It is not the Network icon because it is too dark. Also.. is it just me or are there really no bullets/dots where the lines connect? Maybe tiny sparks...
4. We found out that it is the icon found on the box of Mac OS X.
5. Rickster (works for OmniGroup who makes OmniWeb) confirmed that it is not the OmniWeb icon in the picture, but OmniWeb's icon was influenced by the image in the box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules