Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where is AIM? Over 2 months w/out update.

Where is AIM? Over 2 months w/out update.
De Luca
Dec 3, 2001, 03:47 PM

"These additional features, available on the previous AIM software, will soon be added to AIM for
Mac OS X:

IM images

File Transfer

Smileys"

Last update was 25 September. I wonder what their idea of "soon" is. Anyone have any inside info?

whirk
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2001, 04:33 PM

Adium is great AIM client for Mac OS X...although it is lacking some of those extra features like im image and file transfer.

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 04:52 PM

If you want to connect to other AIM users, there are other clients that support the AIM protocol, such as Fire. For even more, see Versiontracker.

I know there are some features lacking, but depending upon what you want to do, there are options until they complete it.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

De Luca  (op)
Dec 3, 2001, 05:07 PM

I have no issues with the way the current AIM works. My only complaint is the crippled feature-set. ICQ is the only client (for X) with a file transfer option (what I'm most interested in) but it's shoddy at best and takes FOREVER. All the mac chat clients are extremely basic and get about as advanced as "smilies." Their Windows counterparts have NET2phone and videoconferencing built in (among other things).

I think Fire is the best alternative to the individual clients, it's just a little rough around the edges. I would PAY for the fire client if it did what the OS 9 counterparts do.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 05:18 PM

File Transfer seems to always be the toughest thing to impliment with all IMs. But don't forget to keep you eyes on the newest IM All-in-one app to enter the arena..Proteus. http://www.indigofield.com/ Although it doesn't have file transfer support, it shows promise.

davidmd
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2001, 05:54 PM

Does anyone know if there's a hack to shut that damn bouncing off of the AIM icon?! This is THE clincher for me, as it makes my computer basically useless until I attend to the new message, and since IM's come in about every 5 seconds sometimes... you can see that there is a major problem. I really like how Adium and Proteus don't bounce, but give you the option. I happen to HATE the bouncing of an application i DO NOT need to be alerted to. I got an another IM??!! ya think! The thing that keeps me with the AOL AIM is that I can read away messages, and my idle time works. These are very important to me, and if I can't read them, the AIM client is unusable to me... such a shame. My prayers would be answered if AOL would let 3rd party clients on their damn network!! sorry for ranting but...

davidmd

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 06:18 PM

I'm not sure but maybe it's hard to implant file-transfer in AIM cuz of lousy API in carbon for networking. Maybe I'm wrong but just a thought.

I still don't understand why it took them long time to add smilies. I thought it was the easiest task of all? That puzzled me.

And also, icon bouncing got to be the most annoying feature of 21th century! It put my computer to crawl, espically photoshop!

I would highly recommend Adium. I love the tabbed windows, so useful! The icon is kinda ugly but kept getting better in every version.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Dec 3, 2001, 06:31 PM

I don't ever use file transfer in IM clients, but AIM is also available via Netscape 6. Does it allow file sharing?

Archangel
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 06:55 PM

[reflexive response]Get Adium![/reflexive response]

FAerrorTAL
Dec 3, 2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by jblakeh1:
<STRONG>I don't ever use file transfer in IM clients, but AIM is also available via Netscape 6. Does it allow file sharing?</STRONG>
nope, and buddy lists are a hassle to import last i checked.
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 4, 2001, 05:52 AM

Hmmm...AIM for Classic is a subpar version of the Windows client. AIM for OS X is a subpar version of Classic. AIM for Linux is a subpar version of all of them. Get the picture? If you don't do Windows, you're screwed...

Just get Fire or Proteus. Both are cocoa. Proteus is promising, and Fire simply rocks.

(Edit: typos)

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Subzero Diesel949 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules