Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WHAT are those 4 things on the PM!?

WHAT are those 4 things on the PM!?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 10:23 AM

you know those 4 things at the bottom? It doesnt say anywhere on apple.com

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:29 AM

Front headphone jack, audio line-in, audio line-out, and Apple speaker mini-jack, for connecting to to Apple Pro speakers.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

thuhFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Front headphone jack, audio line-in, audio line-out, and Apple speaker mini-jack, for connecting to to Apple Pro speakers.
how do u know?
dont phear if ya hear a fourin soun' to ur ear. iss al'ight mah.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by thuhFreak:

how do u know?
I'm reading it from the Apple Authorized Products list I have in my hand. I'm an Apple Solutions Consultant.

thuhFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 10:42 AM

I'm reading it from the Apple Authorized Products list I have in my hand. I'm an Apple Solutions Consultant.
ok, then. do u know why the holes are all over the back of it?
dont phear if ya hear a fourin soun' to ur ear. iss al'ight mah.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:47 AM

That would be the New Legacy Phone Sytem Quarter-inch Patchbay�

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 10:53 AM

The 'patchbay' is part of the 'Digital Hub' concept. It allows you to stream Quicktime multimedia via analog phone jacks throughout your home or small office.
*empty space*

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:53 AM

No I don't. I can see what appears to me as USB ports, FireWire ports, ethernet port, and modem port, but there is no explanation the holes.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:01 AM

A holy computer !

Praise the lord!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 11:19 AM

What ever you do, don't put your hand near those holes or you might get sucked into the computer. That is one holy computer.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 13, 2002, 11:24 AM

no, no, no...

the answer is quite simple, let me demonstrate:

scenario: a Super MonkeyBall bash-up at Chez Juan/Cheerios. our two hosts have me & mudzilla over for the evening, so we can show them how to game properly. inbetween rounds of SMB, we all need a fresh beer opening. we all down pads, grab a bottle, and... use the new quad bottle openers on the front of juan's spanky new G4. simple.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 11:29 AM

They're RDF generators

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
no, no, no...

the answer is quite simple, let me demonstrate:

scenario: a Super MonkeyBall bash-up at Chez Juan/Cheerios. our two hosts have me & mudzilla over for the evening, so we can show them how to game properly. inbetween rounds of SMB, we all need a fresh beer opening. we all down pads, grab a bottle, and... use the new quad bottle openers on the front of juan's spanky new G4. simple.
How silly of me not to realize that! I bow my head in deference to your under rated fountain of knowledge!

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 AM

are you sure? isn't timmerk talking about the 4 things at the bottom of the front of the new G4? all the jacks that you mention are on the back, on the lower left of the case (see picture in above post). just check out the jack labels in the downloadable PowerMac G4 technology overview pdf (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html).

apparently, according to specs, there is a front headphone jack, but i don't see it...

tr

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by tr:

are you sure? isn't timmerk talking about the 4 things at the bottom of the front of the new G4? all the jacks that you mention are on the back, on the lower left of the case (see picture in above post). just check out the jack labels in the downloadable PowerMac G4 technology overview pdf (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html).

apparently, according to specs, there is a front headphone jack, but i don't see it...

tr
It's in one of those four holes.

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 11:37 AM

I agree -- there's nothing on the apple site stating that the four holes are front ports. All those holes in the back are likely for cooling.

Oh yeah, to all those who doubted those pictures that turned up a few weeks ago of the new powermac -- HAAAAAA you were wrong.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by tr:

tr
I may have misinterpreted the sentence in the Apple products list I received. The PDF you refer to shows the ports on the back, but it does say the headphone jack is on the front. When I read the sentence from the products list, it read exactly as I typed it in my original reply, which indicated to me that all four ports were on the front. It looks like I misinterpreted that, and I am wrong. Besides, I like philzilla's explanation better!

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 11:51 AM

The 4 holes are simply vents.
The front headphone jack is in the upper right corner of the drive bezel. It's clear in the pictures.

LudwigVan123
Aug 13, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by tr:
I haven't seen the specs for the just-released machines (still called "Quicksilver?"), but on the leaked photos of this model, the headphone jack was located right above the optical drive(s) and to one side on the front.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 11:57 AM

The headphone jack is beside the power button on the front. Look at the square cd cover and you'll see a small hole in the top right. I think the four holes in the front and the swiss cheese effect in the back are for cooling to address how loud the old quicksilvers were.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 11:58 AM

if you go to:

apple.com/pr

you can download really big images which should let you get a clearer view!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 12:07 PM

Anyone have any idea how the noise level will be in these compared to the Quicksilvers?

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 12:16 PM

Looks like those holes on the back are just air vents, don't expect this to be very quiet then....

ehh

http://a528.g.akamai.net/7/528/51/22...tc08092002.gif

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by CarpetFluff:
if you go to:

apple.com/pr

you can download really big images which should let you get a clearer view!
No kidding.. a 10meg tif file!
climber

ZnU
Aug 13, 2002, 12:23 PM

MacMinute says they got rid of the processor fan, so this machine should be quieter than previous models.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 01:18 PM

Look at the PR shot of the front and you can see the headphone icon over the hole next to the power button. Nice link to the PR shots...

I'm disappointed at the speeds and specs, my cousin(at the Moto fab in Austin) said they'd be faster. So is this a case of technology or finance keeping Macs so slow?

If these things actually do ship without processor fans, I'd lean towards a financial motive..

Zack - back from Sturgis

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 01:28 PM

The iHole will be missed.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

davidmd
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 01:30 PM

Hey, how in the world do you "eject" on one of these things? I don't see buttons, and with two separate optical drives wouldn't that be a little difficult with the one-eject-buttoned ProKeyboard?

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
The 4 holes are simply vents.
The front headphone jack is in the upper right corner of the drive bezel. It's clear in the pictures.

huh...i didn't realize that black dot was a headphone jack, i thought that was some sort of reset button or something. so basically, this G4 has both an audio line out (on the back) AND a headphone jack (on the front)? that's pretty cool, not to mention an audio in...and a whole bunch of other holes!

tr

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 13, 2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by davidmd:
Hey, how in the world do you "eject" on one of these things? I don't see buttons, and with two separate optical drives wouldn't that be a little difficult with the one-eject-buttoned ProKeyboard?
damn fine point. i always thought a lack of "paperclip eject hole" was a bit of a dumb move anyway...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 03:31 PM

If you open the PR tiffs in Photoshop, the clipping paths are still there and labeled. It clearly states that the holes in the front are vents and the hole above the optical drives is the headphone jack (or "ear jack" as the clipping path is labeled). And they removed the massively huge heatsink for the PR photo of the open case. Good thing too. Wish they had a PR shot of the back.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
If you open the PR tiffs in Photoshop, the clipping paths are still there and labeled. It clearly states that the holes in the front are vents and the hole above the optical drives is the headphone jack (or "ear jack" as the clipping path is labeled). And they removed the massively huge heatsink for the PR photo of the open case. Good thing too. Wish they had a PR shot of the back.

any explanation on the numbers in the pr photo? What do these numbers correspond with I can't find anythign on their site

(I know what the components are obviously, but wondered what their descriptions are)
( Last edited by lngtones; Aug 13, 2002 at 04:31 PM. )

DJG3
Aug 13, 2002, 04:50 PM

If they had enough sense to put a headphone jack on the front, why not add at least 1 firewire and usb port as well...now im still gonna hafta crawl underneath my desk or buy a firewire hub too for the dv camera, external burner and hardrive, this sucks

Maybe we should call this the spaceship revision of the quicksilver tower since apple decided to install thrusters on the front end (i'm sure they've gotta be ventilation of some sort, because they sure as hell are aesthetically retarted). Why dont they just ship the new towers with a TypeR logo across the side...I'm sure that'll make people think they're fast enough

Anyways, I second that comment from "davidmd"... I'm also curious as to how you'll be able to eject the second drive tray if some of us opt for the second optical drive...maybe the eject key opens both at the same time or you have to hold down command-eject...how wack is that!

just my 2-cents
~DJG3

What's got Billy so spooked?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 04:53 PM

What are those holes for? That's easy - they're speed holes. They make the computer run faster!

- gotta love those Simpsons lines!

hayesk
Aug 13, 2002, 05:11 PM

A firewire jack on the front would be handy, especially for syncing your iPod. But there already is a front USB port - on your keyboard.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:

any explanation on the numbers in the pr photo? What do these numbers correspond with I can't find anythign on their site

(I know what the components are obviously, but wondered what their descriptions are)
Those numbers have to do with color correction. It has nothing to do with the components. They are used to designate areas of color that one can then use to adjust color in a more thorough way.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 05:16 PM

Maybe the holes are there to purposely make it ugly so that Apple can see if their evil plot to control everyones minds and make them think Apple is Always Right worked.

DJG3
Aug 13, 2002, 05:30 PM

hayesk - "A firewire jack on the front would be handy, especially for syncing your iPod. But there already is a front USB port - on your keyboard."

whoops....sorry, its already taken with my logitech wireless mouse (hafta plug in the receiver in more or less line of sight to get the best reception in the other room (the radio in it is fairly weak which sux) when I run a projector in the living room for movies and games. I've also had problems with borrowing my roommates nikon negative scanner. When I'm moving my mouse during the scanning process the response is extremely slow. I want USB 2.0
~DJG3

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by DJG3:
hayesk - "A firewire jack on the front would be handy, especially for syncing your iPod. But there already is a front USB port - on your keyboard."

whoops....sorry, its already taken with my logitech wireless mouse (hafta plug in the receiver in more or less line of sight to get the best reception in the other room (the radio in it is fairly weak which sux) when I run a projector in the living room for movies and games. I've also had problems with borrowing my roommates nikon negative scanner. When I'm moving my mouse during the scanning process the response is extremely slow. I want USB 2.0
But don't you have 2 USB ports on your keyboard?

motoyen
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 08:03 PM

Where is the reset button? On my 867 it is right below the power switch. Has it been moved to the back? Maybe Apple removed it to prove that OSX never crashes.

DJG3
Aug 13, 2002, 08:37 PM

haha a mac that never crashes, now that id be willing to pay for.

I have a
powermate
that I need the other usb for as well as my mp3 player, everything else has a permanent home in the hub
~DJG3

judd
Aug 13, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Maybe the holes are there to purposely make it ugly so that Apple can see if their evil plot to control everyones minds and make them think Apple is Always Right worked.
I think they purposely made it ugly so that PC switchers will feel more at home

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 08:52 PM

The manual reset button was removed.
Am I still here?

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by ZnU:
MacMinute says they got rid of the processor fan, so this machine should be quieter than previous models.
The people at MacMinute are fools....There is a HUUUUUGE fan blowing on the heat sink, one fan for the optical drive, and 2 {TWO] fans for the power supply.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 09:37 PM

So what happened to the white speaker? ;-)

motoyen
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 11:04 PM

Why was the reset button removed? What are you supposed to do instead? Unplug the computer?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 12:19 AM

"Why was the reset button removed? What are you supposed to do instead? Unplug the computer?"

In over a year of using OS X, I have never needed the reset button on my iMac or my iBook. You could always hold down the power button if things really go awry, but this has not happened to me.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
"Why was the reset button removed? What are you supposed to do instead? Unplug the computer?"

In over a year of using OS X, I have never needed the reset button on my iMac or my iBook. You could always hold down the power button if things really go awry, but this has not happened to me.
You are EXTREMELY lucky, ever try doing anythign demanding to your computer?

OS X does a great job at holding things together, but sometiems it just breaks on my Quicksilver 867 and requieres a reset

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2002, 07:45 AM

I've been using OS X since the PB on an iMac and this iBook. I have never had to use the reset button either. And yes I push this thing to the absolute limit all the time.

Wesley

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 12:36 PM

I too would like to know if there is a reset button on the back. I've had to reset my machine using the button on the front a few times since using X. The only times I can think of though are when playing high-end games that lock up my machine, and I'm unable to force quit or use the keyboard to reset. A reset button is a must. Lack of one is a little arrogant IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules