Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Login Hang...

Login Hang...
coitus
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 07:45 PM

Specs: OS X 10.1.1 running on a G4 450 DP with 384 MB of RAM.

Upon start my system will run through the usual process until it comes time for the startup screen to disappear and the login window to appear. My system hangs in between these two screens and only rarely can I get the damn login window to appear.

I've run disk utility which shows everything to be peachy. I've booted off other partitions, which work fine. I've booted while holding the option key and then selecting the X partition...nothing seems to work and I am going insane at not being able to get into my system. If I can get in I intend on turning auto-login "on" to see if this solves my problem, but doing so is impossible until I get the OS up and running.

Please...someone help me figure this damn thing out.

Many thanks,

coitus

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 09:23 PM

Well, I have a minor update to my situation. I've found that if I leave the machine alone and allow it to continue to boot. It will after somewhere between 15-30 minutes get to the login screen. I don't have a more accurate time-frame other than "the time to consume two double jack & cokes."

In an additional wrinkle, if I attempt to enter the Login pane and edit the settings so it will auto-login it only gives me the damn spinning rainbow. I guess I am looking for the right preferences file to delete or something along those lines. I REFUSE (at this point anyway) to do a clean-install...that is for the birds!!!

coitus

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2001, 12:04 AM

doing a clean install wont work anyways. i had this same problem, and it turned out the my aDSL isp was down. try unplugging any internet wires and rebooting. it should work.

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
<STRONG> i had this same problem, and it turned out the my aDSL isp was down. try unplugging any internet wires and rebooting. </STRONG>
Ah, this could be the source of the problem...though it doesn't make sense to me. I am back visiting the folks and not hooked up to my DSL. I'll change all the network settings to have the computer not look for the internet. Perhaps that will cure my problem...though I have no idea why it would be looking for the internet prior to logging in. I have File Sharing, Web Sharing, and everything else internet related turned off...

Thanks,

Curtis

Forum Links
Forum Rules