Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ChosenOS

ChosenOS
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2003, 07:46 AM

Just wanted to let the people who were losing faith in th future of this theme on OSX know that it is finally my main project now that NeXT is complete. And I also wanted you to know that I am the King of run-on sentences.

Here is a shot of the progress:

Im looking for suggestions for what to use where the Apple Menu usually is because Im certainly not gonna use the word start there.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

natan
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 08:35 AM

I'm not sure about what to use instead of start.. maybe "OSX" or "Chosen" or something like that.

Personally, I don't like the gradient in the menus at all. For me, it cheapens an otherwise excellent theme. I think the menus should be a solid color (gray), or that a variant should be offered without gradients.

Otherwise, the theme is looking great!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 09:57 AM

I like it it looks very clean and sharp, there is one small thing that I don't like about it, I don't like the gradient in the dropdown menu, I would prefer a solid color...

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 10:35 AM

if it makes your decesion any easier, I LIKE the gradiated menus.

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
if it makes your decesion any easier, I LIKE the gradiated menus.
Me too.

Instead of the the word "Start" for the Apple Menu...How about just "Apple?" I did like the old one where it just had "***" or was it "...?" You know what I mean though.

How about making the background of the widgets a darker gray like the screenshot of Dazzla's ChosenOS theme for XP? I think it looks great with the darker gray background where the widgets are at, IMO.

Everything looks great though.

24...Tuesdays

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2003, 12:32 PM

I will offer two variations of the theme, one will be an exact replica of the ChosenOS theme for windows, the other will attempt to satisfy most of the suggestions for other solutions. SO the gradients will be in the replica theme but not the variant.

J, Dazzla recently released a sort of ChosenOS 2003 update and that is what I am working from so your suggestion regarding the titlebar will have to go in the variant.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by swiz:

J, Dazzla recently released a sort of ChosenOS 2003 update and that is what I am working from [/B]
he has? i cant find it. its not on neowin and its not on his site.

as for the start button i wouldnt mind seeing something like what was in the first port, i thought it looked good.

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 02:03 PM

I will offer two variations of the theme, one will be an exact replica of the ChosenOS theme for windows, the other will attempt to satisfy most of the suggestions for other solutions. SO the gradients will be in the replica theme but not the variant.

J, Dazzla recently released a sort of ChosenOS 2003 update and that is what I am working from so your suggestion regarding the titlebar will have to go in the variant.
Sounds great Swiz.

24...Tuesdays

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
he has? i cant find it. its not on neowin and its not on his site.

as for the start button i wouldnt mind seeing something like what was in the first port, i thought it looked good.
Did that say Apple?

Dazzla's sites have been removed or something. I have his source files though.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2003, 02:36 PM

Updated Apple menu and scroll bars in the shot

Hopefully the new Silk from Unsanity will get to final soon so I can bundle the ChosenOS font with the theme as an option.

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 02:44 PM

Swizz, that Chosen OS theme looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for porting it to the Mac!!

I also like the idea of having the word 'apple' instead of a logo!

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 03:26 PM

Hail, King Run-On!

I dig on the gradients hard. To me, it's what distinguishes Chosen - it's a gray theme with lots of gradients pointing in different directions. At least, that's what I got from the Winblows screenshots I've seen.

No clue about the apple menu...

The preview's looking schupah-schweet!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

milhouse
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 04:13 PM

Looks awesome. I've been hoping for this one..
"-Dodge This"

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 05:34 PM

Im looking for suggestions for what to use where the Apple Menu usually is because Im certainly not gonna use the word start there.

I think "Mac OS X" is too long. Menubar space is precious.

I vote for just " MAC " (with a small space before and after, so the box isn't so tight).

Looking good...

-mpm

allap
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 05:51 PM

I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like with a lighter border around the windows/ scroll buttons etc.. maybe one that would match the line under the toolbar. But i'm sure it's turn out great no matter what Swiz, your themes always do

As for the Apple Menu, why not a symbol similar to the "Hide Toolbar" icon (top right in finder window) but upside down?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2003, 06:07 PM

The variant which will come with the theme will use a lighter stroked than the black which is used everywhere in the official ChosenOS.

The official ChosenOS menu bar will remain the width in the screenie above since it will be completely resembling the real ChosenOS but if you chose "Graphite" in system prefs you can use an option of a "not-so-wide" variation.

The variants Apple menu will be what is used from your suggestions.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2003, 06:54 PM

The variant which will come with the theme will use a lighter stroked than the black which is used everywhere in the official ChosenOS.

The official ChosenOS menu bar will remain the width in the screenie above since it will be completely resembling the real ChosenOS but if you chose "Graphite" in system prefs you can use an option of a "not-so-wide" variation.

The variants Apple menu will be what is used from your suggestions.
I'm glad you are providing variations, but I'm not sure if I understand your descriptions. Perhaps you can provide some screenies of the variants?
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

wreks
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 09:12 PM

one suggstion from your screen shot.

It's kinda a dull metal look going, the black outlines everywhere look out of place, I think it would look much better if you change them to something like 60-80% black.

edit: oh, just read a couple posts up, anyway I concur.

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 11:30 PM

no swiz, he didnt release the update yet, he release only a screenshot

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 10:17 AM

how about....Apple or Think or just OS X

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 5, 2003, 11:31 AM

Swiz this theme gives me a chubby. Good job.

:-)

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by headbirth:
Think
I was thinking the same thing.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 06:55 PM

Updated Apple menu and scroll bars in the shot

[snip]

Hopefully the new Silk from Unsanity will get to final soon so I can bundle the ChosenOS font with the theme as an option.
Just include the font anyways, and when Silk gets released we can just go ahead and use it. Thanks for the awesome theme.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 6, 2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by headbirth:
how about....Apple or Think or just OS X
Think is nice.

dazzla
Senior User
Jan 6, 2003, 10:47 AM

I've finished chosenOS but everthing's a bit hectic at the moment. My PC is in for repair (go figure, 6 months with an Mac and it's flawless, 3 months with a brand new PC and it needs fixing...) but once I get it back, I'll finish my new site, and upload chosenOS and concept.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by dazzla:
I've finished chosenOS but everthing's a bit hectic at the moment. My PC is in for repair (go figure, 6 months with an Mac and it's flawless, 3 months with a brand new PC and it needs fixing...) but once I get it back, I'll finish my new site, and upload chosenOS and concept.
Don't forget to add some good desktop options
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2003, 08:21 PM

swiz, maybe you can do a more mac-like widgets in a graphite option

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 6, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
swiz, maybe you can do a more mac-like widgets in a graphite option
Ive been thinking that too.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 7, 2003, 01:17 AM

False Alarm... Sorry
( Last edited by swiz; Jan 7, 2003 at 01:25 AM. )

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 7, 2003, 06:19 AM

Ok, this is not a flase alarm now. The theme is done. The current release contains the main ChosenOS theme as well as an Aqua Restore but no ChosenOS variant yet. I will alter it and provide the variant according to user suggestions and feedback for improvement. A dock skin is also available now too.
Here is the theme:

Here is the dock skin:

Both can be had here:
http://swizcore.com/SS/macOSX.php

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2003, 01:48 AM

Swiz-

Lookin great. However, I went from your SimpleX theme (with the blue menus), and am having a problem with my ichat, volume, clock, etc, staying white rather then black. I installed the Aqua restore theme first, then rebooted to no avail. Any ideas??

-Mark

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2003, 04:55 AM

Great! Look forward to it! I dig this theme but not the strong black line (which isn't your fault though ...)

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2003, 10:14 AM

Great Swiz. Great once again.

It really looks great in Safari without the Brush Metal look. It looks so smooth and sleek...Just brilliant work.

24...Tuesdays

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2003, 11:22 AM

Thanks guys. Remember, its your feedback which will build the variant so dont hesitate to offer it up.(Check your email Mark .)
Thought you might like to see this though, its a screenshot of Safari with some ChosenOS mods I did real fast.

Click this for a full size shot.
http://swizcore.com/images/SSChosenSafari.jpg

(Is it me or do the linked images not work as a click through anymore on macnn?)

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 06:02 PM

Hi, I don't really care for the heavy outlining done in this theme. If you do a variant can you remove that and make it a softer gradient?

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 06:13 PM

Am I missing out on something? I can' install the ChosenOS theme using Duality on 10.2.3. I keep getting a "This theme is not compatible with your version of OS" ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does anyone know why I get this error?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2003, 09:34 PM

headbirth, yeah thats going to be the first basic priority for the variant, no black strokes.

MrFrost, the Duality error stems from the main.themescript inside the .dlta file. There are two lines in their that specify "10.2.3" for the OS, Duality does not play well with it. Duality only likes "10.2". So you can either just rename those lines to "10.2" or use ThemeChanger from Cliche' Software. Also, there are three desktop pics in the theme file which need to be unchecked in ThemeChanger or you'll get an error. I am restoring my system on my Cube right now so I can't post a new file for download yet, but that will get you correct until I can post the update tomorrow.

Thanks.

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2003, 11:21 AM

Hey great job Swiz!
It looks really nice but it wont work for me. Whenever i try to apply the theme in ThemeChanger, it gets to "Installing component SS_ChosenOS_800.jpg..." and then it just sits there and never makes any progress. i am using themechanger v.5 and mac os x.2.3. any help would be appreciated.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by tiffer17:
Hey great job Swiz!
It looks really nice but it wont work for me. Whenever i try to apply the theme in ThemeChanger, it gets to "Installing component SS_ChosenOS_800.jpg..." and then it just sits there and never makes any progress. i am using themechanger v.5 and mac os x.2.3. any help would be appreciated.
Tiffer-

Uncheck the SS_ChosenOS_800.jpg, as well as the 1024, and whatever the last one is. For some reason, they dont play well with Themechanger.

-Mark

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 9, 2003, 11:36 AM

headbirth, yeah thats going to be the first basic priority for the variant, no black strokes.

MrFrost, the Duality error stems from the main.themescript inside the .dlta file. There are two lines in their that specify "10.2.3" for the OS, Duality does not play well with it. Duality only likes "10.2". So you can either just rename those lines to "10.2" or use ThemeChanger from Cliche' Software. Also, there are three desktop pics in the theme file which need to be unchecked in ThemeChanger or you'll get an error. I am restoring my system on my Cube right now so I can't post a new file for download yet, but that will get you correct until I can post the update tomorrow.

Thanks.
The latest version of ThemeChanger works well with the 10.2 tag, so I suggest you start using that instead and your themes will play with Duality too.
And just like MarkLT1 said. You have to remove the three desktop pictures in the dlta. I don't think you can specify a path to a new files, i think that you can only switch files. Perhaps switch Aqua Blue to the 1024x768 version of the dp (msot common resolution I guess) and offer the other two as options outside of the themepackage. Or replace the Aqua Graphite and perhaps the Aqua Blue Classic desktops.
I tried the theme but I did not like the black strokes. I'm confident that you altered version will kick ass though
And nice work on the Safari mod! I heard that there is a Safaricon app comming out soon, then you have your skin ready already.

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2003, 01:28 PM

I would be nice to have transparent menus as an option.
Also, the black lines framing the scrollbars are too dark. A gray would be nice.
All in all my favorite theme.

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The latest version of ThemeChanger works well with the 10.2 tag, so I suggest you start using that instead and your themes will play with Duality too.
And just like MarkLT1 said. You have to remove the three desktop pictures in the dlta. I don't think you can specify a path to a new files, i think that you can only switch files. Perhaps switch Aqua Blue to the 1024x768 version of the dp (msot common resolution I guess) and offer the other two as options outside of the themepackage. Or replace the Aqua Graphite and perhaps the Aqua Blue Classic desktops.
I tried the theme but I did not like the black strokes. I'm confident that you altered version will kick ass though
And nice work on the Safari mod! I heard that there is a Safaricon app comming out soon, then you have your skin ready already.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 9, 2003, 01:34 PM

Hay thanks for the headsup on the new version of ThemeChanger liking the 10.2 tag Max. The only bad thing is now tonight I will need to go through and update all my themes again . Thats cool though.

Thanks also for the suggestion for the desktop pic install. I think that since I include three different resolutions I will just include them in their own folder on the .dmg to make it the users choice.

Safaricon will be awesome!

It seems so far that the biggest suggestion is for a better solution to the black stroked in ChosenOS, as I expected. Any others?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 9, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hay thanks for the headsup on the new version of ThemeChanger liking the 10.2 tag Max. The only bad thing is now tonight I will need to go through and update all my themes again . Thats cool though.

Thanks also for the suggestion for the desktop pic install. I think that since I include three different resolutions I will just include them in their own folder on the .dmg to make it the users choice.

Safaricon will be awesome!

It seems so far that the biggest suggestion is for a better solution to the black stroked in ChosenOS, as I expected. Any others?
Yeah, that is what is so annoying with having made many themes... You have to maintain them..!

Seperate desktops will work better and I too think Safaricon will be a hit.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Yeah, that is what is so annoying with having made many themes... You have to maintain them..!
man...where do you guys find the time to do this? i wish i have that much time

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 10, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by iRebound:
man...where do you guys find the time to do this? i wish i have that much time
For me, I make the time by subtracting from sleep. But I read somewhere that people who sleep 6 hours per night live longer than those who sleep more or less than that. I guess...

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 10, 2003, 10:25 AM

I'm still in school and right now I'm out on a working experience and I get much freetime. But this period is over in a week and then I'm back to regular school again.. But I take my time as often as I can because I like theming.

But I sleep 9 hours, so I don't take any time from sleep. If I sleep less than that I'm like a zombie..

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 07:02 PM

Thanks. [/B]
Thanks Swiz, I finally got some time to mess around with my computer today and changing the 2 lines didn't do the trick. Duality froze up.

Guess I'd better download ThemeChanger.

EDIT : Well, I installed Themechanger and it has been applying ChosenOS for about 8 minutes now I think. Does it always take this long?

EDIT 2 : It seems that the desktop pictures are a no-go. I deselected them and am now enjoying one of the coolest OSX themes I have ever seen. (I got the Desktop picture out of the .dtla file afterwords)
( Last edited by mrfrost; Jan 10, 2003 at 07:20 PM. )

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 11, 2003, 10:38 AM

Yeah, sorry about all those issues Mr_Frost, I am finally home today after a week of house sitting so I can finally post and update to the Chosen theme which rectifies all of these issues.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2003, 03:17 PM

Yuck! A theme released with aqua icons.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 03:43 PM

Yeah, sorry about all those issues Mr_Frost, I am finally home today after a week of house sitting so I can finally post and update to the Chosen theme which rectifies all of these issues.
No problem at all swiz, I'm glad I got it working now. I really love the dark outlines in the theme. When I showed it to a friend of mine today he just said : "damn that looks sharp !! "

Are the Safari navigation buttons available for download somewhere?

Forum Links
Forum Rules