Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS Power Metal

SS Power Metal (Page 3)
fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
No mouse over ----- BLACK
Mouse over (or click) ----- GREEN/OR BLUE
i got that. im not an idiot people. the blue is just so, ugly. same with the green. they should be more subtle.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i got that. im not an idiot people. the blue is just so, ugly. same with the green. they should be more subtle.
I agree. As much as i really apreciate swiz's work on this theme, i would have liked it to be more like the original Cerbero's mock.

chezpaul
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 12:28 AM

I think at this point swiz, U should just do whatever U want to do and stop reading this thread...

I would just get married if I were U...

haha... ;-)
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 05:41 AM

I like the colors actually.

Swiz, congratulations on getting married.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 10:22 AM

hehe, thanks guys for the best wishes.

fireside
Below is a shot, the top is an acutal theme preview of Power Metal, the bottom is the Photoshop PSD from Cerbero.

More true to the original?
The horizontal gradient is not possible on the push buttons which is why there isnt one in the theme.
If your argument is all about the colors when elements are interacted with its pretty weak because there has to be visual feedback that the user gets from the objects; the elements that do get pressed or moused over are already near black so making them black for visual feedback would be useless. When I released the theme everyone would complain that the over and pressed states are almost invisible. The green and blue color variants are perfect compliments to this theme if for no other reason, they are the only two colors found in a G5. I could and may make a variant where all the pressed and over states are white but for now Im focusing on the two which I like the best and are most exciting to work with.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
I could and may make a variant where all the pressed and over states are white but for now Im focusing on the two which I like the best and are most exciting to work with. [/B]
Which is all the majority of us are waiting patiently for. The minority variations can be done in TP by the appropriate user. Press on young Jedi!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 11:52 AM

Well the only thing I was missing was the 'shine' on the buttons, and i can understand why that's impossible (it's sort of possible but it would look like crap. A shorter edge gradient in the button end cap parts and just vertical in the fill slice) other than that I think it's coming along great. I even understood the 'coloured hovers' previews.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 11:54 AM

Yep..don't bother about all the variants for now. Almost everybody here can make their own on ThemePark after you release the theme..
And BTW I love what you've done so far. Also, I just got married 2 weeks ago and I know how you feel right now
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 01:59 PM

whatever. its your theme.

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 02:55 PM

I think they widgets are two embossed, and pressed in. They are blurred a bit compared to the original. Is there a way they could be bit crisper and sharper, like the original. Also the titlebar is not cut as smooth as the original. I don't know if it is possible to make it just like the original, but other than that, i think it looks great.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I think they widgets are two embossed, and pressed in. They are blurred a bit compared to the original. Is there a way they could be bit crisper and sharper, like the original. Also the titlebar is not cut as smooth as the original. I don't know if it is possible to make it just like the original, but other than that, i think it looks great.
The titlebar issue is due to premultiplication. Premultiplication differences are extremely subtle but do exist such as in this case. I'll see if I can tweak the edges just a bit to get rid of all of the artifacts.

I initially tried the widgets as they are in the mock up but they didnt feel "tangible" enough. I'll see about coming up with a nice medium.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 04:12 PM

whatever. its your theme.
Im not trying to be rude, honestly, how old are you.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 04:16 PM

It's amazing that all of these people are throwing a fit about things that THEY think should be in the theme. Instead of saying you should do this, or why didn't you do that maybe you should all create your own themes and then you'll be happy. I think a lot of you are lucky that people like Swiz, Max, etc make themes anymore. Instead of "Whatever. It's your theme" people should be saying "though I don't like parts of the theme, It's nice of you to make another one". . .or something along those lines. It's like everyone just EXPECTS the theme make to do everything to please them. We're lucky we have people like Swiz and Max. Otherwise we'd be using aqua the way Apple intended. I'm not trying to start a war or anything, but I just think people should show a little more respect to those making the themes...

-cS
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 04:27 PM

Guys like "Swiz" spend a lot of time doing these works of art, and boneheads like you come back and bitch and moan...
DO IT YOURSELF, or give constructive criticism - WITHIN REASON.

Cripes, some of you are plain embarrassing...

SB

quandarry
Aug 29, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
blah...blah...blah...
-cS
when you start a thread and post a preview of your theme and state you have already made changes per suggestions and later ask for more suggestions you are leaving yourself wide open for slapdown after slapdown...
as i said before swiz has gotten off easy probably because of past groovy themes he has done...others have not been as lucky!

it's the way of things here...

realeyz
Aug 29, 2003, 04:35 PM

Nice job on the theme guys - I don't normally post in here, but wanted to take a look at this G5 inspired OSX Theme since like everyone else I am very excited to get my Dual 2Ghz G5 soon.

Im not one to mess with my system resources much since I have had too many nightmares with it in the past and I depend on my machine too much to make my living. The only OSX Theme resource editor I have seen is the ThemePARK 1.1. Is this what you all are using to edit and/or implement these themes? I only glanced at the demo briefly so forgive me for not knowing the ins and outs of OSX theme-culture. I would like to try some of the Themes out if they work cleanly with all the normal graphic applications like After Effects, Photoshop, etc etc.

In closing, if you Swiz or any of you hot Theme designers want to come and work for me doing DVD menu Themes for iDVD or DVD studio Pro, let me know.

regards
todd siechen
iDVDThemePAK.com
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
when you start a thread and post a preview of your theme and state you have already made changes per suggestions and later ask for more suggestions you are leaving yourself wide open for slapdown after slapdown...
as i said before swiz has gotten off easy probably because of past groovy themes he has done...others have not been as lucky!

it's the way of things here...
Sortof. Quandarry, asking for suggestions has nothing to do with slap down after slap down. Asking for suggestions is asking people if they have ideas for improvement to the design in front of them; and I do appreciate these and implement the ones I feel are worthy of applying. Those who post toally subjective opinions with no justification other than their own personal taste are useless to all of us.

But I will agree that others have been hit much harder than me ( although I am lead to beleive that people know that I try my hardest to produce a high level of quality, reality and aesthetic useability and this is the reason I am "getting of easy" )
Believe me, I can handle anything from a web forum. Im 26 and made it through 4 years of daily critiques at CCS ( in the beginning some of which were pretty brutal ). I have reasons for making the design decisions I do; So as long as the suggestions are helpful and not based totally off of personal taste... bring it on.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 05:26 PM

Just finish the theme already!!!

SB

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
Just finish the theme already!!!

SB
Tell me about it...

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 05:50 PM

Swiz. I believe you're doing a tremendous job on this. Don't ever stop! What is left to do on the theme ?

catsank
Aug 29, 2003, 06:24 PM

Sycophantic dudes and everyone else, please just chill!

- Take a look at the malboro girls for a second - and give yourself
a moment to get things into perspective...

Click for an engorged size image

Don't smoke'em 'cause that's bad for you
- just look and relax :)

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 07:38 PM

Im not trying to be rude, honestly, how old are you.
15. why?

ps i was giving constructive feedback, the green really does not go to well with the rest of the theme. in my eyes anyway. but, i mean, seriously, everything is going to be opinionated, its just that a bunch of people agree with me, and i think it should be taken into consideration. and instead of that, i get b�tched at and yelled at. im just trying to make this awesome theme look as awesome as possible. yes, i do admit the "this looks horrible" was a little harsh, but its my freaking opinion and i think it would look a lot better with a different shade of green, and maybe if it wasnt so, fuzzy.

pps: all you people b�tching about how i dont appreciate themes obviously have not looked at my first few posts of this thread. i absolutely adore this theme and i love what swiz does.

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 08:19 PM

*sigh*

Anyway, a bit of constructive criticism from me :
  • I dunno if you read my first post Kevin, but I still personally think that the elements need some more depth to them, whether it be that they're recessed more or "poke out" more... it's just that the widgets have such a huge amount of depth and feel to them that it makes the buttons and what not look very flat. Still, I'd be more'n happy if you left them as they are.
  • I dunno if you've decided to make the Apple menu black or colored, but if you make them colored, please make them the same color/texture as the scroll bars... it looks way too dark and flat as it is.
  • I think I have a good idea for the scroll arrows... instead of making them two separate buttons, why not make them into one large button, like the "View" button? I haven't actually tried it myself, but I'd appreciate it if you could give it a spin and see how it looks.

And as always, keep up the great work!

(FWIW, I'm 15 myself.)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
I dunno if you've decided to make the Apple menu black or colored, but if you make them colored, please make them the same color/texture as the scroll bars... it looks way too dark and flat as it is.
I think the apple menu should look exactly like the apple on the side of the G5 computer! That apple is HOT!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Aug 29, 2003, 11:47 PM

15. why?
Because your feedback usually is more helpful than that last post that said, "whatever, its your theme." That sounded more like a 15 year old and it surprised me.

Sage
Im gonna leave the buttons and stuff at the depth they are now, to remain true to Cerberos mock up.
Regarding the Apple menu, Im gonna go with Johns advice on using the Apple from the side of the G5 tower.

John
See above. (But keep in mind you've just told me to stray from the mock up, which you said was a mistake before... jk)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2003, 12:23 AM

See above. (But keep in mind you've just told me to stray from the mock up, which you said was a mistake before... jk)

I don't know.... I only see an apple menu in one of the original mockups and it's pretty close to the one on the side of the computer. Kinda. Sorta. Hurry and finish the theme by the way. The wedding must be any day now.

Click to zoom

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Modro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

Swiz, looking at the original widgets cerbero posted, I think it would help a bit after all if the widgets were made a bit sharper.

More machined, less molded, that is.

I'm thinking cerbero's buttons might work well minus the gradient, if the contrast is upped a little. Make the edges a little more pronounced, but avoiding softening or rounding them.

I realize that getting this kind of theme nailed is pretty difficult, especially considering that pretty much every other theme uses softer materials.

I'm thinking the whole trick to nailing the aluminum look, is going to be making the widgets and everything look both solid and substantial, along with a "high precision" sharp look.

As is, the window widgets for instance, have a sort of depressed look, almost as if when the hole punch came in, it deformed the metal around them and sunk it in.

While the holes should have some subtle highlighting and shadowing, it should be just that, subtle. Cerbero had them nailed.

To my eye, sharper edges and more definition tend to make the material you are replicating look more solid and substantial.

Keep up the good work.
-Don Modro

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2003, 01:51 PM

OK, SWIZ, I'm getting pissed. How much more theme foreplay will there be?

I think the last thoughts are good ones - don't stray too far trying to please everyone...it will never happen!

Good luck, and did I say this before?

Finish the theme already!

SB
( Last edited by slboett; Aug 30, 2003 at 03:24 PM. )

solidfox
Aug 30, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I don't know.... I only see an apple menu in one of the original mockups and it's pretty close to the one on the side of the computer. Kinda. Sorta. Hurry and finish the theme by the way. The wedding must be any day now.

Click to zoom
That's a mockup, right? Cause I don't see how that titlebar gradient would be possible...

anyone care to prove me wrong?

Anyways...really nice theme, ya!

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by solidfox:
That's a mockup, right? Cause I don't see how that titlebar gradient would be possible...

anyone care to prove me wrong?
Well, you asked for it. It indeed is possible, and has been done... just check out Max's Brushed 3.0 theme, which does exactly that. (It's hard to tell in the screenshots on the site, but the gradient is just as pronounced as Cocoa brushed apps).

solidfox
Aug 30, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Well, you asked for it. It indeed is possible, and has been done... just check out Max's Brushed 3.0 theme, which does exactly that. (It's hard to tell in the screenshots on the site, but the gradient is just as pronounced as Cocoa brushed apps).
Oh my...

I see...never thought of that one...

Edit:

From "Important about metallifizer!.rtfd" in Max's brushed theme folder:

"In this version I added a window titlebar highlight, unfortunately that only looks good in Carbon apps. This is because in Cocoa apps the Titlebar fill is tiled instead of stretched."

Guess not...?
( Last edited by solidfox; Aug 30, 2003 at 04:45 PM. )

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 30, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by solidfox:
Guess not...?
The solution is to use Metallifizer. It's not a perfect solution, but it works..

Although it's possible to use a Menubar highlight without any problems.

solidfox
Aug 30, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The solution is to use Metallifizer. It's not a perfect solution, but it works..

Although it's possible to use a Menubar highlight without any problems.
Yeah, but it wouldn't work for a theme that doesn't use the same gui for normal windows and brushed windows, right?

So this theme has to make the brushed appearence the same as the "aqua" appearence...

And I can't use it in Zana...

Even so, it's perfect for Brushed.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 04:06 PM

V1.0 is now available.
This first release is intended to be as true to Cerbero's concept as possible.
There are elements I know I will be altering for a Swiz variation. Im keeping a list so if you see something you think would look better done differently; let me know with explanations.

The download includes a metal scrollbar version theme and another theme which has two sets of plastic scrollbars; blue or green. Both themes use the blue and green accents throughout aside from the scrolls.
Also includes a very nice desktop created by Cerbero.

Obtain it from here:
http://swizcore.com

catsank
Sep 1, 2003, 04:15 PM

Very nice form ! - after seeing that - I bet we all dive in !

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2003, 04:33 PM

hmmm...getting termination error when i try to install with themepark..

made me see the dreaded apple default theme... *shiver*

forgot what that looked like!

back to studio pro, but will try again *sigh*
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
hmmm...getting termination error when i try to install with themepark..

made me see the dreaded apple default theme... *shiver*

forgot what that looked like!

back to studio pro, but will try again *sigh*
Do you mean when trying to install with ThemeChanger?
I havent had any problems with it. I'll download it now to double check.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 05:02 PM

Please note that unlike other SS themes, when the Power Metal disk image mounts, the two separate themes and desktop picture are inside the main "SS Power Metal Package" folder. So you need to move the two ".dlta" folders into your themes folder. NOT the whole SS Power Metal Package folder.

Sorry for any confusion.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 05:09 PM

Thanks Swiz. Gorgeous, as expected
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 05:10 PM

Thanks swiz. I'm using the PowerMetal theme w/ the blue and it's gorgeous! Thanks for the hard work. Congratualtions on getting married.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2003, 05:22 PM

not sure why...
dwnloaded it again, tried again...
got a termination error 4.
studio pro installs fine tho.

? oh well....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2003, 07:50 PM

This is the coolest theme I've ever used. You want proof? I just created this account so I could comment on it.

Some changes I'd like to see (after the wedding, of course; congrats):

- The Apple in the Apple menu could be a bit darker and more defined. I also don't like the accent color showing up when you click on it, I'd prefer it turn white or something (and without the bevel), but that's just me.

- Checkboxes look a bit odd when checked.

- Dividers in blank menu spaces, like those in Panther. Slightly lighter menus, to add a bit of contrast.

- .menu icons that match the menu bar (the white backgrounds really bug me).

Thanks again for the wonderful theme. You've managed to make my day, despite the fact that tomorrow I have to go to school and send my 12" Aluminum in for repair.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2003, 08:04 PM

odd...
all the other themes i use work.
this one gets stuck at the first item (aqua something); then i get a termination error.

why me??

any ideas??
should i *gasp* restart & try again??

running 10.2.6 on a powerbook pismo...

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 08:04 PM

aleluia

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 08:08 PM

Cool, just need a Safari skin now.
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Cool, just need a Safari skin now.
You are correct . Soon.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 09:44 PM

I'm getting the same errors, but I'm on panther. I unchecked a bunch of stuff, but it hung on extras, so I had to force quit, and restore aqua. Oh well.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I'm getting the same errors, but I'm on panther
that was pretty ballsy

Modro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2003, 10:38 PM

Swiz, great job on the theme. I am noticing that the contrast is a bit lacking though, so usability seems a little off, I'm just gonna tweak the theme a bit for my own use, but overall, fantastic work.

These were the changes I was gonna do to it (after having seen a G5 just the other day, actually)

Just a contrast bump, and I adding a bit of noise, since I noticed when looking at a G5, that they have a sort of bead blasted finish on them that looks really nice in person.
-Don Modro

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Sep 1, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Modro:
Swiz, great job on the theme. I am noticing that the contrast is a bit lacking though, so usability seems a little off, I'm just gonna tweak the theme a bit for my own use, but overall, fantastic work.

These were the changes I was gonna do to it (after having seen a G5 just the other day, actually)

Just a contrast bump, and I adding a bit of noise, since I noticed when looking at a G5, that they have a sort of bead blasted finish on them that looks really nice in person.
Good suggestion. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules