Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Doctor Who! [Spoilers] The New Doctor's Angry Eyebrows

Doctor Who! [Spoilers] The New Doctor's Angry Eyebrows (Page 3)
Thorzdad
Apr 25, 2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Is BBC America available in HD anywhere? It's one of the channels that isn't HD in my package, and that saddens me...

On the other hand, at least I get it. I wish I had had the time yesterday to watch, or today to find online, the first episode of the new season. I will catch it somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
I saw that Comcast On Demand has some BBCA shows available in HD, including Dr.Who. I have no idea if Comcast has BBCA in HD as a regular channel, though.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 01:19 PM

So has Day of the Moon been in in Americaland yet? It was another great one, don't want to say too much if people haven't seen it .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 02:17 PM

Was totally gripped by Day of the Moon from start to finish. The Silence finally became properly creepy. River rocked, Rory was fantastic and even Amy was not terrible. And the ending. WTF! 10/10
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Salty
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 02:31 PM

The ending had me like... WHAAAUH?

SPOILER: Who's the little girl though? It seems like they're heavily suggesting that she was Amy's daughter, but how is she Amy's daughter? Did the silence imprison a pregger Amy while the Doctor was out bopping around through time?And if she is Amy's daughter, how the hell is she a Time Lord? I'm also wondering if the whole, how did the Doctor Die thing is going to be the running question for the season? Also with all the time hopping over their own timelines (which this Doctor seems MUCH more willing to do.) Could the little girl actually be the Doctor?

Also. Does this mean that the Silence were behind the events of the last season? If so... HOW?! And why!?

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 02:52 PM

ABOUT SALTY'S SPOILER!!! : Or... The girl is River Song? (no I don't know, just a thought) their timelines are in opposite directions, River kills a 'good man'. So what's going on with the on/off pregnancy and the woman with the eyepatch through the hatch in the door? :? I've just watched both back to back and I still don't know what's going on

Thorzdad
May 1, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Also with all the time hopping over their own timelines (which this Doctor seems MUCH more willing to do.) Could the little girl actually be the Doctor?
Well, that would certainly cover the huge implication of the Doctor being killed at the lake before he could regenerate, if we assume the little girl was in the spacesuit and shot the Doctor.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 2, 2011, 06:55 AM

Oh the little girl won't be in the space suit. My guess is it's either a future or past version of River Song. Either that or it's the Doctor himself. It's not gonna be the little girl herself. Time Lords can't travel through time without a TARDIS or some other form of time travel. The little girl has none as of right now. The silence don't seem to be time travellers.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2011, 08:45 AM

If the little girl is River Song, why doesn't River Song know what's going on?

Trivia: The little girl, Sydney Wade plays Alex Kingston's daughter in another show.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 10:53 PM

I'm guessing the little girl is Amy's daughter, whoever she is given the fact that the Tardis can't make head's or tails of it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 09:53 PM

"Biting - like kissing but with a winner!"

Great episode this week. Makes up for last week's space pirates.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 02:21 AM

Yes, written by Neil Gaiman who amongst other things wrote Coraline.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 02:57 AM

I killed myself over the biting line.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 03:53 AM

"She's a woman and she's the TARDIS"
"Have you been wishing really hard?"

Brilliant episode from start to finish. Obviously crafted word by word, not a single duff line or wasted minute anywhere.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 02:20 PM

Agreed, the episode was bloody awesome. Wish he was one of the regular writers. Arguably better than most Moffat episodes. (Well OK the Time of the Angels was bloody awesome but the Christmas special was terrible this year.)

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Agreed, the episode was bloody awesome. Wish he was one of the regular writers. Arguably better than most Moffat episodes. (Well OK the Time of the Angels was bloody awesome but the Christmas special was terrible this year.)
What was wrong with the Christmas special? I was a fan.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2011, 09:01 PM

The little girl that regenerated, was that The Doctor's clone?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Salty
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 10:44 PM

I think if it was Jenny she'd be both an adult, and they'd have alluded to it more. To be honest I really wonder when/if they'll bring her back. It looks like that episode was written by a writer who's not normally a Doctor Who writer (least based on what I glean from Wikipedia) thus I don't know if Moffat has any real plans to use the character. They may leave it for a good long while.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2011, 01:34 PM

I am not reading this thread, but just wanted to post that Comcast is evil. You'll not I mentioned having Doctor Who on Demand a few posts back? And was looking forward to watching Who without using illegal means? Well Comcast decided On Demand was no longer part of my cable package and shut it off. Entirely. ************ ***** ***** ****** ****!

Back to your enjoyment of who, I will catch up eventually...

Thorzdad
May 16, 2011, 01:57 PM

Andi...Which Comcast package do you have? We're on, I think, the Digital Starter package and OnDemand is still there. No new Dr. Who ep, though.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2011, 02:26 PM

Digital Economy. On demand used to be included. I'm now shopping for internets and cables.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 22, 2011, 05:59 AM

This week was pretty so so. Well made but not that engaging. Struggling to come up with a reason why they are doing anything. Who by the numbers I feel.

This years run is split into two parts with a gap over the summer, so hopefully they'll be building to the mother of all cliff hangers next week and the week after.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2011, 05:15 PM

I thought this episode felt more like a Russel T Davis episode than a Moffat one. Or at least, it was Moffat trying to be Davis. It was like the end of S5, where everyone of the villains were working together. (Which makes no sense, the Daleks and the Cybermen already proved they can't work together.) The bits with River didn't make much sense. The Lesbian Lizard Lady was cool but there was no set up for her. Would have been much better if they'd previously run into her. The space pirates were a fun nod, but oddly out of place. They had several old character brought back in piddly ways, while others were, "brought back" but we'd never seen them before.

The reason the S4 finale with Davis was awesome was that we cared about Micky, and Jackie, and Rose and Martha, Donna, Martha's parents, Harriet Jones, etc. I thought the nurse Sontaran was clever but unexplained, the Lesbian Lizard chick was cool, but she knows far too much about the Doctor without having ever been a companion, and the blue guy was just weird.

All in all, I imagine the episode was much cooler if you were Steve Moffat.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2011, 06:55 PM

The lesbian lizard was a Silurian, same actress as the Hungry Earth and Cold Blood episodes from last series. Whether she was the same Silurian as those episodes, I'm not sure. Maybe all lesbian lizards look the same .

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2011, 11:59 PM

Well she can't be the same character unless the Doctor changed got to know her and then took her well back in time and dropped her off for some random reason. That whole thing didn't make sense.

andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2012, 11:32 PM

^Evidently, she was...

Anyone seen the Christmas Special? I know it's a bit late but I have just got it and am itching to watch... the preview was interesting.

Exclusive DOCTOR WHO 2011 Xmas Special Trailer - YouTube

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2012, 11:54 PM

It was... alright. Light and fluffy, as is befitting of a Christmas Day TV show, I s'pose.

Seen the start of the second Sherlock series yet? Terrific (if a bit silly in a Moffaty kinda way).

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2012, 12:14 AM

I have to go fetch it, as I I think the it's not coming to BBCAmerica til spring. Sadness.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2012, 12:57 AM

I pirated it. This year's Doctor Who Christmas Special was phenomenal. Though it is kinda too bad that the UK has had a few years of not getting attacked on Christmas. They're gonna grow complacent.

Actually it makes me wonder. Does UNIT even know about this Doctor at all? In many ways it kind of feels like the whole David Tennant run never happened. Aside from a few references to them, and the Tardis showing him Rose, Martha and Donna in the Hitler episode. It's kind of like the Doctor just got really bored with the present.

Thorzdad
Jan 7, 2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
^Evidently, she was...

Anyone seen the Christmas Special? I know it's a bit late but I have just got it and am itching to watch... the preview was interesting.
Watched it last week (thank you Comcast OnDemand!) It was entertaining enough, though I far preferred last year's Christmas special. Still, it's a companion-free episode which give a slight feel for what I think the next season is going to be like.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2012, 01:38 PM

I understand that Amy and Rory will be phased out during the next season.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2012, 08:44 PM

I just watched the Xmas special. Hated it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 04:48 AM

Really? I actually loved this year's.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2012, 06:57 AM

Anyone catch the little Doctor Who tribute in this weeks' Leverage?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
May 30, 2013, 04:56 PM

Leverage was full of the Who love... lots of little bits and bobs.

Soooo... what did people think of this season? I just finished binging on all the episodes. I went back and forth on Clara. I liked her in the snowmen, but then didn't for a few... almost too perky. Center of the Tardis and Crimson Horror improved some. Very much liked the Cybermen ep except there's just too much kissy flirty going on. Glad River showed up to put a damper on that. Multiple personality Doctor was well done.

The end game with the story arc, why she keeps showing up everywhere, I quite liked. Then, it went over the top... and John Hurt? What?

That was an opportunity to have Dr. 8 make a cameo, I think, to seguay into his role in the Time War.

Also, "I once spent several years trying to get an gobby Australian back to Heathrow." "Whatever for?" "Search me." <scream> "Brave heart, Clara."

hee!

Ω
Mac Elite
May 31, 2013, 05:20 AM

I thought this season was quite weak. When the final was shown I was like nothing had happened. No one episode stood out for me, so much so that I even questioned if I had watched every episode and checked the wiki for the listings.

Maybe it was because I had no connection with these characters. Or maybe I thought that the story arcs were muted and that the story of the Dr was not furthered to keep me engaged.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 31, 2013, 06:35 AM

needs Vastra & Co spin off.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 31, 2013, 06:43 AM

tbh I think people expect too much from these seasons. Moffat enjoys playing with us but basically

We will never find out the name of the Doctor
He'll never actually die
All the mysteries about his parents, wife, children etc will never be revealed

So any hype around episodes/arcs resolving these issues are always going to be baloney when the actual episode arrives and delivers something entirely different. It's an episodic TV show and as such it's a pretty good one.

This season had some good strong outings, The Crimson Horror was excellent, I also liked Dinosaurs on... (but i seem to be alone in this), Cold War was effective and The Name of The Doctor was a good finale. The Christmas offering "The Snowmen" I really loved, Clara's best episode of the season and anything with Vastra and Co in it I enjoy.

The cyberman offering was a goodish episode, but a poor for a Neil Gaiman script and signally failed to deliver on the promised upgrade to the cybermen as a threat. They could be so, so much more than they currently are.

That said I never found Clara as engaging as Amy or Rory and I still miss Donna.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2013, 08:51 AM

Jenna-Louise Coleman is a smirking plank. As a result Matt Smith had no-one to bounce off, and his performance suffered. Then they took children for a joyride in the Tardis and Moffat gave the Cybermen smiley faces.

Either a stupid season best forgotten or the beginning of the end.

andi*pandi
May 31, 2013, 09:04 AM

If the Doctor is the last surviving time lord (aside from a few in a time bubble somewhere) then who wrote the big thick tome "History of the Time War?"

This, and more questions, will not be answered next season... by John Hurt!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2013, 07:09 PM

I rather like Clara, she's lovely.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2013, 09:57 PM

If the Doctor is the last surviving time lord (aside from a few in a time bubble somewhere) then who wrote the big thick tome "History of the Time War?"
My guess is his grandaughter from the very first episode, which he mentions briefly. Don't forget there's also a female clone of him somewhere in space. It could also have been River Song or Captain Jack, both of which can time travel and know his name.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andi*pandi
May 31, 2013, 10:57 PM

With the exception of the granddaughter, who I believe has died in one of the books... They all met him after the time war. Even if he's gotten drunk one night and spilled the beans to his friends, that wouldn't make them a candidate to write an official history.

The only candidate is the doctor himself, and not sure how impartial he can be.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 1, 2013, 05:58 PM

Smith's out.

Who's up for 12,13, or 14, depending on how you count Hurt or Tennant's faux-regeneration with Handy?

andi*pandi
Jun 1, 2013, 09:20 PM

I'd be up for the next doctor being older and less manic...

Is Hurt the Valeyard?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 1, 2013, 09:31 PM

Is Hurt the Valeyard?
I guarantee, other than namedrops, the Valeyard thing will NEVER be resolved.

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2013, 08:57 AM

Well, 13 is the Valeyard. They're going to have to do something with that eventually. Hopefully the next actor commits to a few years.

It's annoying that some of the stories they are doing are retreads, but they are avoiding some big topics we are all curious about.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2013, 09:40 AM

Next Doctor Who | Next Doctor Who | TV And Film Specials | Sky Bet

There are some interesting ideas on that list.

Zac Effron? Hmmm.

I think Emma Watson could be a great female doctor. Can't see her agreeing to do it though.

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2013, 08:48 PM

It's funny, but even as a feminist, I see no reason why the doctor should-would-could regenerate into a woman. I like having other strong female roles, like River, and good companions.

Emma Watson would make a great Romana. Did the Doctor ever go back to E-space dimension and see how she was getting on?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2013, 10:44 PM

Domhnall Gleeson isn't on that list.

Is it because he's a ginger?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2013, 06:35 AM

It's funny, but even as a feminist, I see no reason why the doctor should-would-could regenerate into a woman. I like having other strong female roles, like River, and good companions.

Emma Watson would make a great Romana. Did the Doctor ever go back to E-space dimension and see how she was getting on?
I think if they do a gender swap for the doctor, it might be a fun one or two episode temporary deal.

Its only a matter of time before we get a whole season with a different (high-profile guest star) doctor every week. It would have to happen in between 'proper' regenerations. Some kind of [hilarious] glitch.

13 episode run:

1: Brad Pitt
2: Danny Pudi
3: Anthony Hopkins
4: Christopher Lee
5: Sean Connery
6: Wil Wheaton
7: Adam Buxton
8: James Earl Jones
9: David Duchovny
10: Stephen Fry
11: Daniel Radcliffe
12-13: Emma Watson
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Jun 3, 2013 at 06:47 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules