Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How tough and rugged are my iPhone and iPad?

How tough and rugged are my iPhone and iPad?
dzp111
Senior User
Feb 13, 2011, 11:24 AM

Hi.

The following numbers are real and accurate. I wanted to share with you the things I've put my mentioned devices through in the last few weeks.

I moved, about a month ago, in what you would call 'the bush'. I'm an outdoors person and I had been waiting for a place like this for a long time.

The place: Northern Ontario (near Sudbury). Waterfront. Ice hut about 100 yards from house, sauna about 15 yards away and fire pit about 30 yards.

In a nutshell: both my iPhone and iPad have been used for a considerate amount of time outdoors with minimum protection fairing up to a half hour in -35˚Celsius (-31 F.) immediately followed by 85˚C. (185˚F) in sauna (listening to music), just to go back out side again. Was burned on chest by earbuds wire while in sauna.

Length of time varied approx. 30 minutes at a time. The only protection used was a sturdy plastic bag when in sauna, a plastic that even allowed me to use finger swiping. I was Skyping, using MSN and other various tasks in those elements without ever a glitch.

Question: are other non-Apple devices as rugged?

Why I did this: why not? I wanted to hear my tunes and Skype.

: )

videos of where and how I used the iPhone outdoor at youtube.com/thednch
( Last edited by dzp111; Feb 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM. )
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2011, 04:32 PM

Well, I have found Apple products to be exceptionally well made. I don't use my gear in the physically extreme situations as you do, being of quite different temperament, but eg, keyboards. I have had many makes, all crapped out on me in less than a year. Finally paid double for the Apple one, it seems to survive my hamfisted battering with no breakdowns at all. Of the 15+ Macs I've had, only one motherboard failed. I've never had to take them in for service, and all I did was to replace the occasional HD. One optical drive needed to be disassembled and cleaned, that about all in 23 years, I'd say that is pretty good. I know so many people who have PC stuff, and it constantly breaks down, so yes Apple makes good stuff. Why? Because Steve Jobs has a fanatical attention to detail, reflected in the esthetic perfection of Apple products as well as the quality of build. The cover of the MacBook Pro shuts with the elegance of a Mercedes.

OK, I admit to being crazy about Apple, but then, why not?

Forum Links
Forum Rules