Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to save a video clip from the internet?

How to save a video clip from the internet?
Ron K
Nov 18, 2012, 12:17 AM

I am in the area of the Philippines that has very weak internet signal, so it is very time consuming to watch a video clip from the news or elsewhere on the internet because it stops and starts and take just too long to load. So, I sometimes have to wait however long it takes the clip to play through before I can actually watch without interruption.

Recently, I was watching a video clip on the internet using Iron web browser. It was nearly complete, with the progress bar nearing the end, when I had to leave and disengage from the internet. But, I did not quit Iron; I just closed the lid on my laptop. When I opened my laptop again, the video clip remained on screen even while the wifi signal was no longer active. The video clip was at the end of the reel, so I just started it again by clicking on the progress bar near the beginning and it started up. In fact the entire clip was saved on one of my tabs in Iron. I think this is interesting and I played it several times. As long as I do not close out of Iron, I can watch the video clip.

What I do not understand is exactly where in my computer is this video clip being saved for viewing? And can I save it permanently, independent of IRON? Can anyone help me with this? I would love to be able to save video clips since I am in an area of the Philippines where the internet signal is weak or sporadic so it would enable me to copy and watch these after the signal is down, which, unfortunately is a regular occurrence here. Thanks ahead.
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2012, 02:07 AM

I use the Click to Plugin extension in Safari. It will try to replace Flash video with h.264 video whenever it is available, and will give you a "download video" link in the context menu whenever it can.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2012, 05:50 AM

That sounds like a good idea. I have a similar one in Firefox.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ron K  (op)
Nov 18, 2012, 01:34 PM

Where can I find the Click to Plugin extension Iron? I have looked through the preferences and it is not there.
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2012, 03:18 PM

https://www.google.de/search?q=click+to+plugin+safari+extension&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=de&client=safari

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2012, 02:07 AM

DownThemAll is a great Firefox plugin to get videos and other content from a site.

Ron K  (op)
Nov 19, 2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the response. My preferable browser is Iron, but none of the respondents here have noted a comparable extension for downloading internet videos from that browser, so it looks like I will go back to Firefox for video functions. I abandoned Safari long ago because it was so slow and unresponsive in comparison to Google Chrome and Firefox. And I then abandoned Chrome because it belongs to the Google network that is trying to force users to link all of their user information and browsing data, which I find invasive. I chose Iron over Chrome because it uses the same platform as Chrome without (hopefully) the privacy concerns. I will now download DownThemAll and see how it works. Thanks again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2012, 12:38 AM

I find Safari much faster than Firefox. I also appreciate that it plays with iCloud, but that may of course be irrelevant to you

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2012, 02:23 AM

Firefox is a little sluggish but it has the best plugin library out there.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 20, 2012, 09:18 PM

It's possible no one here had heard of the Iron browser. It's an independent build of the Chromium source code, using more default privacy settings than Google ships Chrome with.

Since it appears to be the same code as Chrome, only with changed defaults, any download plugin for Chrome will probably work.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 25, 2012, 09:31 AM

I use DownloadHelper for Firefox. It'll even let you copy the direct URL of some sources (useful in case some servers limit you to one connection per IP).

Forum Links
Forum Rules