Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2013 MBA Internet connectivity issue

2013 MBA Internet connectivity issue
Ron K
Aug 22, 2013, 01:17 PM

I just got the new 2013 MBA 13.3" last month. It is almost identical to my late 2011 MBA, so there is apparently no learning curve and nothing new to expect. However, the very first thing I noticed was that the wifi kept dropping the signal, like every 5 minutes. This is a right-out-of-the-box issue. I did an online search, and it turns out to be a known flaw that was SUPPOSED to have been fixed by OS upgrade 1.0 which I downloaded and installed. The Apple patch did nothing, so I took it in for servicing and Apple Tech replaced the wifi card. Problem solved? NO.

There is some improvement, in that I do not have to restart my computer each time the wifi loses signal, as was required before. Now when the wifi loses signaI, I only have to turn wifi off and on again before it reconnects. But that is not enough improvement for me. It seems like Apple has a more fundamental flaw in the architecture that continues to make this issue recur, even after a new wifi card is installed. Does anyone have insight into this issue as of this current date? The purported "fix" happend over a month ago.

Thanks for any and all information that may help to correct this problem
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2013, 10:27 PM

Maybe is not related but VAIO Duo 's 13 (with Haswell) wifi has the exact same problem. It drops the signal. Sony is aware of the problem will send over a patch to fix it. Looks like the issue is definetly sofware wise.

Ron K  (op)
Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 AM

It would be a relief to find out that a software fix would correct the problem. So far nothing from the Apple side to address the issue. Things are eerily quiet on all fronts, since you are the only person to reply to an issue that I believe to be a problem with many of the 2013 MBA models. Thanks for taking the time to reply
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Forum Links
Forum Rules