Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama and McCain forum. Your thoughts

Obama and McCain forum. Your thoughts (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's like this: The "religious" do generally tend to believe in charity to help the weak. But not government handouts.
That's what Calvinists believe in, not `religious folks' per se. Countries which are predominantly Catholic don't subscribe to this point of view.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's what Calvinists believe in, not `religious folks' per se. Countries which are predominantly Catholic don't subscribe to this point of view.
Really? What's the viewpoint of the Catholic countries then? Are they into state handouts or don't they bother at all?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2008, 06:09 AM

Really? What's the viewpoint of the Catholic countries then? Are they into state handouts or don't they bother at all?
It's due to a difference in Christian philosophy that has permeated society beyond Church.

Just have a look at them, Spain, Poland, etc.: their social security system is based on a very broad consensus of society that this is desirable and good. Yes, they are also `into government handouts' and for them, this doesn't leave a bad aftertaste (not that they don't have charities of their own that contribute as well).
Also in Germany (which is roughly half Protestant and half Catholic), all of the social institutions have been spearheaded by Catholic politicians and conservative governments (the Christian Democrats). (The last one, the Pflegeversicherung, by Kohl.)

They don't subscribe to `God lifts those who lift themselves' which is predominant in the US and shapes their social security system.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It's due to a difference in Christian philosophy that has permeated society beyond Church.

Just have a look at them, Spain, Poland, etc.: their social security system is based on a very broad consensus of society that this is desirable and good. Yes, they are also `into government handouts' and for them, this doesn't leave a bad aftertaste (not that they don't have charities of their own that contribute as well).
Also in Germany (which is roughly half Protestant and half Catholic), all of the social institutions have been spearheaded by Catholic politicians and conservative governments (the Christian Democrats). (The last one, the Pflegeversicherung, by Kohl.)

They don't subscribe to `God lifts those who lift themselves' which is predominant in the US and shapes their social security system.
Philippines / Mexico ?
( Last edited by driven; Aug 19, 2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Added Mexico)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2008, 07:26 AM

I'm not familiar enough with either country to say something one way or the other.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Not the point...The Pastor said McCain was 'backstage in a cone of silence' where he was actually in a car with TV's, radios and Internet.
I think it's exactly the point. The questions were pretty generic with regards to the topics given. If you knew the topics and knew your own position with regards to those topics, then you could answer the questions with relative ease.

It sounds like the Obama camp is simply trying to spin why John McCain did so well in this forum. It also underscores why Barrack Obama wants to avoid town-hall type settings. If he's not on a pulpit reading his pre-written speech then he's not nearly as impressive. (To be fair, town-hall type settings are John McCain's strength, he's not as as strong with the "big-room" speeches.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I think it's exactly the point. The questions were pretty generic with regards to the topics given. If you knew the topics and knew your own position with regards to those topics, then you could answer the questions with relative ease.

It sounds like the Obama camp is simply trying to spin why John McCain did so well in this forum. It also underscores why Barrack Obama wants to avoid town-hall type settings. If he's not on a pulpit reading his pre-written speech then he's not nearly as impressive. (To be fair, town-hall type settings are John McCain's strength, he's not as as strong with the "big-room" speeches.)
I don't think Obama did poorly, I just think that for whatever misguided reason the people attending and most affected by that forum are McCain's base, and were going into that event.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 09:45 AM

That's always been a big difference between the two branches of Christianity. Catholicism tends to be a top-down organization, with everything coming through a chain of command at the top of the Church. Contrast this with the sola scriptura Protestants, who believe God has given you access to everything you need and you have to go seize it. The US was founded on this "Protestant work ethic."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The US was founded on this "Protestant work ethic."
Exactly.
Work hard and you will prosper. And I agree with Chuckit, that's the key to the US' success in many areas.
(Although, to be more precise, not all branches of Protestants share this idea.)

It is my impression that Catholicism stresses benevolence more (in all sorts of situations), help those who are in need. Social systems in European countries are based on this philosophy. I guess the top-down mentality has also played a role, but IMO the more important point is that philosophical difference.

This difference has diffused from being a religious principle of Catholicism to a fundamental conviction, much like many things that originate (in one way or another) from Christianity, but have since become independent of religion (the Western view of human rights, for instance, or science). I don't think it is bound to Catholicism anymore, but it originates from Catholicism.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 10:13 AM

Hmmm.
I'l have to go do some reading about that before I can decide on whether it's a religious difference or an environmental one (it seems to me that this could also be related to the Americas creating, through necessity, a pioneer spirit which Europe has long since lost).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2008, 11:26 AM

Hmmm.
I'l have to go do some reading about that before I can decide on whether it's a religious difference or an environmental one (it seems to me that this could also be related to the Americas creating, through necessity, a pioneer spirit which Europe has long since lost).
It's definitely connected to the way the US was created: by Puritans and pilgrims and not dominated by the Catholic Church.

Forum Links
Forum Rules