Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vista doesn't support EFI = no dual booting Windows for Intel Macs

Vista doesn't support EFI = no dual booting Windows for Intel Macs
mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:14 AM

"Microsoft revealed today that it will not support EFI booting for Windows Vista on its launch. The news will be a shock for owners of Intel Macs who had hoped they would be able to dual-boot between Windows Vista and OS X. Intel Macs only support booting via EFI."

http://apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/E666E...25712C008166C4

It's a huge issue...and/or a huge opportunity for some *incredibly* talented bootloader programmer. But it means no Vista/OS X dual booting for the forseeable future.

ryanbrown345
Mar 10, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrmister
"Microsoft revealed today that it will not support EFI booting for Windows Vista on its launch. The news will be a shock for owners of Intel Macs who had hoped they would be able to dual-boot between Windows Vista and OS X. Intel Macs only support booting via EFI."

http://apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/E666E...25712C008166C4

It's a huge issue...and/or a huge opportunity for some *incredibly* talented bootloader programmer. But it means no Vista/OS X dual booting for the forseeable future.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 01:41 AM

Nice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 01:42 AM

This will lend a whole new meaning to the "MacBook Pro whine" once the accusations start flying.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 01:44 AM

Andrew Ritz also revealed that there will never be any support for booting Windows via EFI on systems with 32-bit processors.

After all those times I asked "Why do you want 64-bit in a laptop", now I have my answer.

851 days until I order my 64-bit MacBook Pro.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 02:07 AM

I sure hope some talented programmer will eventually get it to work, but I don't think I will miss Windows much. The Wndows OS is far inferior imo given I've used PCs since the infancy days of the DOS Shell.

By not supporting EFI, it gives ppl another excuse not to go Apple and that's perhaps what they're doing to protect their PC market where the profit margins are bigger.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 02:15 AM

This being done to protect what's left of their music market by locking people into WMP 11. MSFT is afraid that some people would relegate their OS to a games OS and run most of their productivity apps in OS X.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 02:24 AM

Argh, you'll need a very clever boot loader that will use a certain level of virtualization to deal with the boot up bios commands and the UGA video bios apple is using. It may take the resources of a commercial company to do this in any decent time frame.

Must be that darn Jim Allchin's doing, he was against the idea of windows running on intel macs and has a history of being against the mac business unit. Good he's retiring soon.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 03:05 AM

I guess I wont be getting a Mac notebook anytime soon now. Although I love OSX there are a few mission critical apps for me that arent avaiable on OSX and I NEED to have Windows to work with them.

-a

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 03:45 AM

Well QEMU will certainly run it much faster than virtual pc on a powerbook...... If the apps don't require speed it'll be fine.

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 05:29 AM

Duh, who friggin cares? If you wanna screw yourself with Windows, just buy a generic cheap PC.

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 05:33 AM

They've already managed to get Vista to boot. They just need VGA support (I think) otherwise the screen remains blank. Just because Vista doesn't support it, doesn't mean it can't be hacked.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yawn
Duh, who friggin cares? If you wanna screw yourself with Windows, just buy a generic cheap PC.
Why should you have to buy 2 seperate things when one device could do both.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 05:45 AM

I really dont mind having two desktops but you cant carry two notebooks every time you travel!

-a

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 05:57 AM

Trust me, it's just a matter of time until some hacker will figure out a way to boot Windows on Intel Macs. After all, they figured out how to boot OS X on non-Apple hardware. Give it some time and relax
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by D'Espice
Trust me, it's just a matter of time until some hacker will figure out a way to boot Windows on Intel Macs. After all, they figured out how to boot OS X on non-Apple hardware. Give it some time and relax
I concur.

Though I am quite disappointed MS didn't take the plunge to evolve the computer, freakin' @ssholes.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 07:23 AM

As I said in the Lounge thread, this may be the nicest thing M$ has ever done for Apple.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Morn
Why should you have to buy 2 seperate things when one device could do both.
Exactly. I resent having to buy a George Foreman Grill AND a lawnmower, there should be a device that does both!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 08:02 AM

Apple and microsoft must be colluding!

I guess this means that Virtual PC will probably be out before Vista can boot a Mac.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 08:12 AM

Should this surprise anyone - MS continues to over promise and under deliver on its products. They continaully shave off features more so as the deadlines are missed.

My question now is (and its sincere) what exactly is so new in vista. Its years behind schedule and they've dropped a lot of the sexy new features such as using a new file system, I forget the specifics but where n't they going to sql as the engine to drive their new file system which would greatly enhance searches?

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 08:26 AM

When have they ever, MS is a bunch of conservative thinkers.

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 10:45 AM

It doesn't sound like an afterthought to me. Was someone keeping quiet about this until Apple sold their new Intel Macs?

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 10:51 AM

The irony is that Microsoft is one of the architects of EFI. I find it funny that they're not supporting their own co-invention considering how they like to shove their other technologies down people's throats.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 10:59 AM

This truely stinks. Why was Apple saying up until now that they wouldn't do anything to stop Windows from running if they knew it wasn't going to work! Of course they don't announce this until they've already shipped my MacBook Pro and it's in transit. I have no interest in Windows by itself but I wanted it for compatibility with new devices that either are never supported on the Mac or take a year to get support after release.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bcaslis
Why was Apple saying up until now that they wouldn't do anything to stop Windows from running if they knew it wasn't going to work!
Steve Jobs said when they mentioned the platform shift that they would not stop another OS from running. That doesn't mean they would condone or provide tools to allow this. Since MS just announced this latest feature drop I don't think apple knew about it

Mike

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas
I guess I wont be getting a Mac notebook anytime soon now. Although I love OSX there are a few mission critical apps for me that arent avaiable on OSX and I NEED to have Windows to work with them.

-a
mission critical apps.... right...... you mean games don't you?

Applications will run fine in a virtual environment like QEMU or VMWare assuming it gets ported to OS X.

Alternatively, you could dual boot to linux and run VMWare there.
--
Aristotle

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 12:15 PM

This truely stinks. Why was Apple saying up until now that they wouldn't do anything to stop Windows from running if they knew it wasn't going to work! Of course they don't announce this until they've already shipped my MacBook Pro and it's in transit. I have no interest in Windows by itself but I wanted it for compatibility with new devices that either are never supported on the Mac or take a year to get support after release.
Show me where Apple said anything that they would officially support windows. All they said was that they would not prevent anyone from running windows.

I believe a week ago, someone from Apple said they would not prevent anyone from running windows in a virtual environment. Everyone knew XP would never work but even people inside MSFT were hinting that Vista would support EFI for all processor. I guess they lied on their blogs.

Yeah, Apple announced it now after your mbp shipped just to screw you over.

You do realize that you can run windows in a virtual environment don't you?
--
Aristotle

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
As I said in the Lounge thread, this may be the nicest thing M$ has ever done for Apple.
Your such a bloody zealot aren't you.
--
Aristotle

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 10, 2006, 12:18 PM

MS has already said that they will be producing a native-for-Mactel version of Virtual PC. Since it'll be a Classic-like virtual machine*, not an emulator, it'll run Windows at essentially native speed. This should be more than enough for most users, especially if MS is smart and patches through DirectX to the GPU somehow.

Another option for the average user will be DarWINE, which lets Windows apps run without having to run a copy of Windows.

tooki

*This is how the Windows version of Virtual PC works.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by TheBum
The irony is that Microsoft is one of the architects of EFI. I find it funny that they're not supporting their own co-invention considering how they like to shove their other technologies down people's throats.
There's a possibility Microsoft is doing this to spite Apple users.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 12:27 PM

Cutting off their nose, you mean?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
MS has already said that they will be producing a native-for-Mactel version of Virtual PC.
I think they said they're evaluating such a product not committing to such a release. I think the odds are more likely that vista will get EFI before we see VPC.

Linky

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Exactly. I resent having to buy a George Foreman Grill AND a lawnmower, there should be a device that does both!

A lawnmower that dices small rodents and other furry critters, then throws them on a self contained George Foreman Grill. It's brilliant!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Cutting off their nose, you mean?
I doubt it. Most people who would modify their mac to run windows would probably use a bootleg copy of XP.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 12:48 PM

True dual-booting may not be possible, but that's far from the only solution when you need two operating systems. A hardware virtualizer such as VMWare should do the trick nicely, and at full speed since there's no need for emulation. You'd need to emulate the BIOS, but this should be much easier to do inside an app as opposed to trying to emulate it in a bootloader.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

hemant
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 01:00 PM

I think they might release a version of Vista (priced at a premium) just for the MacTel machines. I dont see why they wont jump on the oppertunity to capture the MacTel market.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 01:28 PM

The are already software BIOS's being used to boot Linux on the Intel Macs. Its only a matter of time before one of these software BIOS's adds Windows support.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 02:14 PM

I never said Apple committed to running Windows. However, if someone at Apple already knew there were technical issues with running Windows then they should just say that and not this "well, we won't do anything to stop it" line.

Really, you know of an emulator that will run Windows on a MacBook Pro? If so you are the only one who knows this, please share the product with us. People are trying to get this running but haven't succeeded yet.

Originally Posted by aristotles
Show me where Apple said anything that they would officially support windows. All they said was that they would not prevent anyone from running windows.

I believe a week ago, someone from Apple said they would not prevent anyone from running windows in a virtual environment. Everyone knew XP would never work but even people inside MSFT were hinting that Vista would support EFI for all processor. I guess they lied on their blogs.

Yeah, Apple announced it now after your mbp shipped just to screw you over.

You do realize that you can run windows in a virtual environment don't you?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 02:45 PM

Really, you know of an emulator that will run Windows on a MacBook Pro? If so you are the only one who knows this, please share the product with us.
Have you tried Q?
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 02:56 PM

Here's another take: Given that Apple is the only one mandating EFI with 32-bit chips, is it really any surprise that MS isn't supporting it?
EFI is already supported in all MS's 64-bit OSs (XP x64, 2003 x64, 2003 IA64) and will be support in Vista x64; is enabling and testing EFI support for 32-bit machines worth the effort for such a small slice of the market (Mac owners who want to boot Windows)? Microsoft says no.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 02:57 PM

Here's another take: Given that Apple is the only one mandating EFI with 32-bit chips, is it really any surprise that MS isn't supporting it?
EFI is already supported in all MS's 64-bit OSs (XP x64, 2003 x64, 2003 IA64) and will be support in Vista x64; is enabling and testing EFI support for 32-bit machines worth the effort for such a small slice of the market (Mac owners who want to boot Windows)? Microsoft says no.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
The are already software BIOS's being used to boot Linux on the Intel Macs. Its only a matter of time before one of these software BIOS's adds Windows support.
That's not a BIOS emulator, though: it's a new bootloader.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 04:39 PM

EFI support is coming in the 64-bit version of Windows Vista in 2H 2007.

Beginning in August, all Macs should feature 64-bit chips.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 05:10 PM

You reckon the mini will feature a 64-bit chip?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 05:16 PM

Who the hell moved my thread to the LOUNGE, of all places? Maybe it wasn't MBP specific enough--but the LOUNGE? WTF?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 10, 2006, 05:48 PM

This isn't MBP-specific at all. At the moment, the Lounge is the most generic place for this kind of thing, and where such discussions have traditionally taken place.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 08:42 PM

Actually, I think this MS announcement is great. The nerds have failed so far regarding getting windows to boot on mactels. Initially, I thought that Windows would be booting on these suckers within a month, but this EFI thing has stumped them all.

Obviously, no other company is using EFI. Dell, Gateway, et. al are not wasting any money putting EFI on their machines and MS is not spending a penny on it either. Apple is ahead of the competition and no one is even trying to catch up.

I know don't expect windows to be running on a Mac for another 6+ months.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 10, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You reckon the mini will feature a 64-bit chip?
2007 maybe, but I'd be surprised if it went 64-bit in August 2006.

Then again, I was surprised it went dual-core...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 10:30 PM

Hackers have Windows XP almost booting on an iMac DC (so far they've got the installer completely working, which is based on the NT kernel).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32436196@N00
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 10, 2006, 10:36 PM

I wonder how much of a MacBook Pro or an iMac would require custom drivers, even if Vista did boot.

Anyways, I wouldn't hold my breath for Vista on a 32-bit Intel Mac. And even if it does somehow happen, If it takes any hacker-type fenagling, it just may not be worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules