Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Use new PB Superdrive firmware to unlock Mac mini 8x speeds?

Use new PB Superdrive firmware to unlock Mac mini 8x speeds?
fraeone
Jan 31, 2005, 05:38 PM

So far all the BTO superdrives in Mac minis have shown up to be firmware limited 8x drives (Matsushita UJ-835F or Pioneer DVR-K04L)

Well, the new Powerbooks hit the street today, and they come with 8x drives! What do you want to bet that they are firmware-unlimited versions of the same drives showing up in Mac minis.

One: we need someone to run system profiler on a new Superdrive Powerbook to confirm the hardware is the same.

Two: we need to somehow get the firmware off the PB drive

Three: we need to flash the mini drive w/ the new firmware

I know this is the sort of thing usually covered by xlr8, but their forum registration is closed, so here I am.

MOD: if you think this is better suited to the PB forum, please move it and accept my apologies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules