Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Best Way to Stop Syncing Apps?

Best Way to Stop Syncing Apps?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2015, 04:06 PM

I have something like 80GB of apps in my Mobile Applications folder on my Mac. I have previously had my apps sync on my MBP, but if I uncheck syncing the apps, how can I avoid losing the apps on the phone? Since all apps can (and generally are) updated on the iPhone/iPad directly, it no longer seems necessary for such sync.

Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

ibook_steve
Aug 17, 2015, 04:15 PM

The iOS apps stored on your Mac have nothing to do with the apps on your phone. I used to constantly update all my apps in iTunes but that's not necessary any more since there is no longer a need to sync a phone with iTunes with a cable. You can just download and update apps wirelessly.

The only way you'd lose apps on your phone is if you either delete them from the phone or, if you do attach your phone to iTunes with a cable, go into the iPhone screen management and delete an app from there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2015, 04:19 PM

Steve, thanks. I am aware syncing with a cable is no longer needed, but I thought that when you change from previously sync'd to computer to "don't sync" it would delete all the apps on the device that it previously sync'd. Occasionally I do like to plug in to do a backup separate from iCloud to have a secondary backup I can control. Are you telling me I can just uncheck the sync setting and it won't delete the apps after syncing?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

ibook_steve
Aug 17, 2015, 08:25 PM

Just go to the app management section when the device is connected to iTunes. Whatever is there is what will be on your device. I think the sync setting is just if you only want to put apps on the phone that you've purchased through iTunes during an iTunes sync, which would be faster than over wifi.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules