Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Booting Debian with BootX

Booting Debian with BootX
Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 01:08 PM

I'm almost ready to install Debian (or try to anyways...) but have one important question that needs to be answered before I proceed.

How will I make BootX boot the kernel installed by Debian?

According to the documentation, to install Debian (network) I put the ramdisk image and linux.bin file in the Linux Kernel's folder and that'll get me going but the only way BootX will boot Linux is if the kernel is in Linux Kernels on the HFS partition.

Now, how the heck will I get the Linux kernel from the Linux partition (which Mac OS can't see) to the Linux Kernel folder?

Is linux.bin the only kernel I need? Does it just stop Mac OS from booting and then pass things on to /dev/hda for the Deb kernel to take over?

Perhaps I'll have to copy the kernel from within Linux to the folder or download a pre-compiled Kernel from someplace before I begin?

Debian's install manual says it'll use Quik for booting but I read Quik is no good so can I skip the Quik install during the Debian install?

Thank you,

HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 11:18 AM

i also woudl like any instight on getting a debain install going....YD kernel panics when it gets ot installing packages, and mandrake wont do anythgin and I cant get Debain to do anythgin either...WHAT AM I doign Wrong
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

Mike S.  (op)
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 11:39 AM

The BootX program came with a ReadMe that explained it.

Doesn't do me any good since BootX is out of date and can't read Ext2.

HashPipe: I still haven't got Linux installed (close, but the Deb net install has no drivers for my ethernet card so I have to go CD) so I can't give you any advice.

Are you sure your system is on the supported list, kernel panics during the install can't be good...

Good luck to you, it seems to be needed in getting Linux going but I'm confident that it'll be nice once it's running.

HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 02:38 PM

Well i have a powermac 5500/225 and it says that its supported hardware. I did the whole bootX thing, but It wont load the ram disk files to memory or anything. Is it because my Mac drive is an HFS+ partition?
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

Mike S.  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by HashPipeK:
Well i have a powermac 5500/225 and it says that its supported hardware. I did the whole bootX thing, but It wont load the ram disk files to memory or anything. Is it because my Mac drive is an HFS+ partition?
Based on what I know, Linux is incapable of reading data off of HFS+ formatted drives/partitions and when you do an install from the HD using BootX, it loads up a Linux kernel that scans the HD looking for a RAM disk.

Since the Linux kernel can't read HFS+ it'll never find it and kernel panic.

I erased my drive, partitioned it into two (Drive Set-up can't make Linux partitions) with one being HFS and the rest being unallocated free space.

Once Linux is installed, you can download something called HFSplus tools that will let it read data off of HFS+ but I don't think it'll help you get installed.

BootX is practically useless as a boot loader since Linux (or at least Debian) now formats Ext2 and BootX can't boot a Linux kernel on an Ext2 partition.

That'll be the next problem I'll have to deal with if I ever get installed.

I'm hoping I can just create a boot floppy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules