Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FTP Question

FTP Question
Duality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 08:14 PM

I wanted to make a user solely for FTP use. So I made a user called FTP and then changed its home directory to a folder I named FTP Files. However, when I FTP into my machine everything was good except this user can have access to the root of my drive. I was wondering if there was anyway to remove this capability from this user? I am relatively new to the UNIX and any information would be appreciated.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Duality:
I wanted to make a user solely for FTP use. So I made a user called FTP and then changed its home directory to a folder I named FTP Files. However, when I FTP into my machine everything was good except this user can have access to the root of my drive. I was wondering if there was anyway to remove this capability from this user? I am relatively new to the UNIX and any information would be appreciated.
did you give this ftp only account admin rights? (Allow user to administer this machine)

Duality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 09:12 PM

no.. I didn't select that option

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 11:58 PM

I believe any created user can see the entire computer. However, logging in as anonymous would restrict you to just the default ftp directory. Also, note that the user "ftp" would count as anonymous. (not "FTP")

Best I can tell, to set up the ftp server, you would modify the file: /etc/xinetd.d/ftp

you may want to read the manpage on ftpd as well as create an /etc/ftpd.conf file that's pointed to by the server arguments in Apple's setup file.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

tpitts1
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 08:24 PM

Skip all of that FTP stuff....go to Google, or read these newsgroups about the command:

scp

it is secure and powerful, but the syntax will be a little more difficult than FTP

tpitts1
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 08:31 PM

The reason I said Google or here is because it may be easier to understand than your

man

command. You can most certainly read about it from your Terminal by typing:

man scp

Later

Forum Links
Forum Rules