Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Good graphics card for AGP 2x?

Good graphics card for AGP 2x?
napthali
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 03:48 PM

I've got an older 450 MHz G4 and recently found a great deal on a second display. Unfortunately, this means I need to upgrade my graphics card if I want to use both.

I would also like to (finally) be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme, so I'm looking to replace my current ATI Rage 128 rather than get a PCI card to throw in there. I've been looking around and found a few good deals on Radeon 7000s, but I hear there are a lot of problems with the drivers for these cards. Would a GeForce2 MX be better for what I'm looking for? I want to spend as little money as possible, be able to use Quartz Extreme and dual-display.

(Also... I remember reading a while back about flashing a PC video card to work in the Mac... any good web resources ont he best way to do this?)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 04:05 PM

if you can find them the Nvidia Gforce 2MX

i got a Nvidia Gf 2MX twinview in mine with 64mb, its not speedy but was a great buy at the time, and i can run dual screens if i had the cash for an extra monitor.

even though these cards ar suposed to be in 4X agp they are slow enough that you won't lose to much speed in the 2x agp bus.

for drivers in OSX is all about plug and play

i have no clue on flashing there a great/really long thread over in the powermac tread about flashing an 8500

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 10:35 PM

The ATI Radeon 7500 with 32 MB DDR video RAM is better than the GeForce2 MX, and its about the same price.

The Radeon 8500 with 64 MB DDR video RAM will also work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules