Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac LCDs with new price

Formac LCDs with new price
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 09:56 PM

Looking at older threads people seemed impressed with the 2010 but it was more expensive than the Apple display. With the price cut does this become the better of the two displays?

How about the 17 inch compared to Apple's display?

Thanks,
Josh

Zoom
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:02 PM

I'm looking for general advice on an LCD flat panel display. I love Apple's 20" Cinema, but can't quite swallow the $1300 price tag. I'd want at least a 17" but would prefer a 19". I've heard that ViewSonic X Series is good and I was looking at the VX900 model, which I've seen for around $750. I want the high contrast technology and I also want digital input.

What other screens are in this category?

Why are Apple displays still so expensive? I know they dropped a lot, but aren't they still at a premium? Someone please explain why they're worth the extra money. I suppose the wide aspect ratio probably explains some of it since the production levels on these aren't as high. Does anyone else make a wide angle display? I would assume that whoever makes these panels for Apple must sell them to someone else, too, right?

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 05:14 PM

get a samsung 171T or 191T.. they will run you less than $700... and they are absolutely awesome screens. Much better than viewsonics.

if you go to dell.com (yea yea..) they sell them on sale at times... they are rebadged dell E171FP and 1900FP...

Lizard7
Mar 30, 2003, 05:38 AM

The Samsung 172T rocks. Supposedly it fixes some color issues found in the previous generation of panels (171/191).

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 11:00 PM

I picked up a Viewsonic VX900 for $700 (after rebates) and so far, I'm happy. I will admit that the Samsung DVI models are slightly more impressive, but a 191T was $100 more, and the Viewsonic has audio in/out which is a nice bonus.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2003, 04:52 AM

I think the Formac 20" display that has the reduced price is a lesser version than the one they've been selling until now. I asked at a local retailer and they said that the Oxygen line were lower quality. In what way, however, they were unable to tell me.

Grains of salt required, possibly.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 06:49 AM

I've found out some more about the Formacs. Here in the UK at least the differences are:

- bezel colour: white on the Oxygen, silver on the Platinum
- 2 year warranty on the Oxygen line, 3 on the Platinum
- dead pixel limits are tighter on the Platinum, none in the first 3 months I think. This isn't the case with the Oxygen (which has a similar replacement policy to Apple's own panels).
- DVI option on the Plantinum, the Oxygen comes in ADC only.

The panels themselves (contrast, brightness, colour purity and so on) are identical according to Formac themselves.

I also compared a 2010 Platinum to an Apple 20" Cinema display (both running on the same PowerMac). The Apple one had whiter whites than the Formac (which looked more yellow), and was slightly sharper.

I want a DVI 20" instead of having to be lumped with the ADC adapter out of the back of my Powerbook. It's a pity that Apple don't offer this IMO.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:36 AM

I'm looking at these new ViewSonic LCDs. The 19" will reportedly sell for $850, which I assume is MSRP.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
I'm looking at these new ViewSonic LCDs. The 19" will reportedly sell for $850, which I assume is MSRP.
Those ThinEdge ViewSonic LCDs look really nice, don't they? I like the fact that they feature dual inputs: analog (VGA) and digital (DVI). This is ideal, e.g. for someone with a 12-inch PowerBook (VGA only) and a PowerMac (ADC/DVI). Some of them even have two VGA inputs for easy sharing. Personally, I'm looking at the "bottom line" 17-inch 1280x1024 model (VP171b). Has anybody seen the ThinEdge monitors listed in online stores yet?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
I've found out some more about the Formacs. . . .
The panels themselves (contrast, brightness, colour purity and so on) are identical according to Formac themselves.
all2ofme: Thank you for this info from the horse's mouth. The lack of information and comparison between the Platinum and Oxygen lines on the Formac website is almost misleading.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 11:57 AM

No problem

What I want to know now is how much of the difference I saw between the screens I could put down to calibration (or lack thereof).

It'd be great to save some money and get a few extra pixels, but the Apple display definitely impressed me more than the Formac did. Seemed much better built, too. There were cruddy bits on the Formac's case where the Apple was just schmoooooooth.

Originally posted by escher:
all2ofme: Thank you for this info from the horse's mouth. The lack of information and comparison between the Platinum and Oxygen lines on the Formac website is almost misleading.

Escher

Forum Links
Forum Rules