Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Dual Ghz Power Supply Fan Noise Question?

New Dual Ghz Power Supply Fan Noise Question?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2002, 12:15 AM

First of all, this is not a complaint thread. Secondly, I apologize for starting another thread but the previous thread got hijacked.

I've heard things about Apple possibly having a fix for excess fan noise, I've also heard somethings about the fans in the power supply being out of alignment and causing extra noise. Now, I know noise level is subjective but people have stated that the power supply is not that much louder, if any, that the quicksilvers. My machine has a hum that sounds like the typical computer power supply hum but a lot louder. At least 2 to 3 times louder than my friends original G4 tower. It is loud enough that I can hear it from about 20 feet away at the top of the my stairs on the next floor up.

If this is norm for the new machines I will live with this, or explore third party fans but if this is abnormal it would be nice to quiet it down a bit.

Thanks,
Josh

twocoasttb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 08:01 AM

I think I have the same issue. I have a stock dual G5 (with the 9600); I added 2G of memory from crucial. I thought these things were supposed to be whisper quiet, but I can hear mine from 20 feet away. Can someone give a definitive answer as to how loud the G5 is supposed to be when system activity is low?

Tariq-1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 09:32 AM

I can just give a few observations concerning the noise of my new-refurbished FW 800 G4, a friends older Dual 867 windtunnel, G5's which I have listened to in stores, oldder G4 Towers a newer 12" PB and my old G3 Lombard. I think that's a pretty good sample. First off, my friends 867 Dual Windtunnel was loud. He had the fan replacement kit and I still think it is louder than it should be. I expected my new=refurb to be as loud as his 867 with the fan kit BUT mine is much quiter. Sitting right beside it(its on the floor), I can hear a soft purr which is quite enough that the house AC covers up completely when on. At 20 feet(which is not very far), I can still hear it. If I'm playing music at normal listening levels - not loud and sitting next to my G4, I don't hear it at all. Believe it or not, the 20GB IBM hard drive I installed a few years back in my older Powebook G3 Lombard is much louder than the FW800 G4 - and I was very surprised about that. The new 12" PB is very quite but audible when the fan runs. THe G5 towers I have listened to are slightly quiter(maybee 50%) than my FW800 but I have not heard them while being worked all day. I think you would still slightly hear them in a very quite environment 20 feet away. Not loud but audible. Now, any of the older G4 towers from the past 3 years are much louder than the G5 or my FW800 G4. I have heard every version of them in school and studio environments over the years. Hope this helps.
Tariq

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
First of all, this is not a complaint thread. Secondly, I apologize for starting another thread but the previous thread got hijacked.

I've heard things about Apple possibly having a fix for excess fan noise, I've also heard somethings about the fans in the power supply being out of alignment and causing extra noise. Now, I know noise level is subjective but people have stated that the power supply is not that much louder, if any, that the quicksilvers. My machine has a hum that sounds like the typical computer power supply hum but a lot louder. At least 2 to 3 times louder than my friends original G4 tower. It is loud enough that I can hear it from about 20 feet away at the top of the my stairs on the next floor up.

If this is norm for the new machines I will live with this, or explore third party fans but if this is abnormal it would be nice to quiet it down a bit.

Thanks,
Josh

Tariq-1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 09:37 AM

Rereading your post, just wanted to add that it should definately not be louder than your friends G4 anything and I doubt you should be able to hear it upstairs if there is a wall or some physical obstruction within the 20 feet.

Tariq

Originally posted by Tariq:
I can just give a few observations concerning the noise of my new-refurbished FW 800 G4, a friends older Dual 867 windtunnel, G5's which I have listened to in stores, oldder G4 Towers a newer 12" PB and my old G3 Lombard. I think that's a pretty good sample. First off, my friends 867 Dual Windtunnel was loud. He had the fan replacement kit and I still think it is louder than it should be. I expected my new=refurb to be as loud as his 867 with the fan kit BUT mine is much quiter. Sitting right beside it(its on the floor), I can hear a soft purr which is quite enough that the house AC covers up completely when on. At 20 feet(which is not very far), I can still hear it. If I'm playing music at normal listening levels - not loud and sitting next to my G4, I don't hear it at all. Believe it or not, the 20GB IBM hard drive I installed a few years back in my older Powebook G3 Lombard is much louder than the FW800 G4 - and I was very surprised about that. The new 12" PB is very quite but audible when the fan runs. THe G5 towers I have listened to are slightly quiter(maybee 50%) than my FW800 but I have not heard them while being worked all day. I think you would still slightly hear them in a very quite environment 20 feet away. Not loud but audible. Now, any of the older G4 towers from the past 3 years are much louder than the G5 or my FW800 G4. I have heard every version of them in school and studio environments over the years. Hope this helps.
Tariq

turk.o
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 01:28 PM

hey guys you are not alone. there are many with this problem. to keep it all together, please try to post in the main topic for this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...&highlight=OBN

also there is a huge thread on the apple forums, the biggest by far for the G5 (apple still is lying and saying it is not a know issue, and no one knows anything about it). call and let apple know, and post on bothe the threads, here and there, we need to put the heat on them. here is the apple thread:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

my machine has been in the shop for two weeks, i get it back tomorrow, and we'll see. i'll post a huge update about how i have been getting jerked off by apple and the shop and how unhappy i am that my brand new $3K pro machine has been unavailable to me for two weeks just to get a single fan replaced and how there was not a single thing i could do about it.

t.o

vboccio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 01:31 PM

I have a G5 DP and it is very quiet except when the cd -rom runs and it gets very hot. It is still much quieter then any win based PC. I can hear mine from 20 feet away but, barely and if I go upstairs I wouldn't hear a thing. As a matter of fact I left my computer on the other day and my wife was working next to it and she didn't even realize it was on. She said what a difference between this G5 and our windows based PC.

osxisfun
Nov 7, 2003, 01:34 PM

if you added ram its possible you did not put the plastic shield back in correctly?

don't know. add 1.5 to mine and its still quiet. only fans up when i am doing processor type stuff.

much quieter then my new fan type dual 867

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 03:00 PM

One thing I have noticed is that my dual G5 puts out a lot of heat. Make sure you have the G5 in a place with good cooling and air flow, especially around the front and back of the machine.

If the machine has poor air flow, the temperature will rise and the fans will spin faster.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules