Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > scroll on trackpad!

scroll on trackpad!
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2003, 06:18 PM

if youre like me, and you spend a decent amount of time on the road with no mouse available, but are fed up with having no scroll wheel, check out sidetrack! ive been running this for about a month now effortlessly.

just sharing what ive found. this has sped me and my ibook up immensly.

Dan.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 06:39 PM

It's a nice program and works well. There are still some bugs that need to be sorted through. When I use it I don't feel that my trackpad is as responsive. It is still in beta form and when the final is released I think that it will be a great to have.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 11:58 AM

I use this on my mini-powerbook and really like it. After weeks of frustration, though, I have given up on the tap-as-option-click feature. Seems that each time I set my finger on the pad -- no matter how lightly -- it option+clicks. Very annoying.

What would be perfect IMHO is if you could set this option for double-tap instead. That would more than make up for the lack of a two-button trackpad.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 07:43 PM

I have it working nicely on my PB12. It's not perfect. On occasion, the scrolling function gets "stuck," but overall this is something Apple should have built into the OS.

I fired up my old Toshiba laptop and wow. It already has the scrolling functionality just like the author of SideTrack said.

Kelvin
Nov 18, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I use this on my mini-powerbook and really like it. After weeks of frustration, though, I have given up on the tap-as-option-click feature. Seems that each time I set my finger on the pad -- no matter how lightly -- it option+clicks. Very annoying.

What would be perfect IMHO is if you could set this option for double-tap instead. That would more than make up for the lack of a two-button trackpad.
I can't understand why this feature is like this on Macs. I've been researching notebooks and I would really like to get a Mac but all the Mac laptops do this. I end up accidently opening or selecting unwanted stuff. Why don't they have a sensitivity option? I know you can turn it off but I like this feature. Its sad to say but PC laptops don't seem to experience this issue. I really don't want to get a mouse and be confined to working on a desk or table.

kayam1977
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 02:26 AM

they need a new version with corner taps for expose... =/

that would be hot.

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 08:23 PM

Anyone else having troubles installing this? I install it, and then once I reboot and go into preferences it says the driver isn't loaded. After many reboots, nothing seems to help...

EDIT: Well odd enough I just tried again and it works perfectly fine! Figures...
( Last edited by StuartB; Dec 2, 2003 at 08:34 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules