Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Taking Powerbook to the US

Taking Powerbook to the US
siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'm travelling to the USA at the end of January '04 and was hoping to take my Ti800 along for the ride. On my last trip out there I saw this other guy [also with a Ti] having to take it out of his laptop bag for screening...

My question is, would I be able to put my PB inside a clear polythene so it has some kind of protection from scratches when it's placed in those dumb plastic bin trays before going through the x-ray chamber?

I realise a portable computer is subject to abuse on occasions, I was just kinda hoping I could do something about it before it happened...

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by siflippant:
I'm travelling to the USA at the end of January '04 and was hoping to take my Ti800 along for the ride. On my last trip out there I saw this other guy [also with a Ti] having to take it out of his laptop bag for screening...

My question is, would I be able to put my PB inside a clear polythene so it has some kind of protection from scratches when it's placed in those dumb plastic bin trays before going through the x-ray chamber?

I realise a portable computer is subject to abuse on occasions, I was just kinda hoping I could do something about it before it happened...

Yes, you will have to take your laptop out of the bag for screening, both travelling to and from (and within) the US.

You could try putting it into a plastic bag. But they security people are already over-burdened and will probably ask you to take it out anyways. More trouble for you, more trouble for them.

Here is some advice. Don't wear anything apt to set off the metal detector. Clean out anything that could possibly be considered suspicious in your carry-on luggage - place these things in your checked luggage. Better yet, check as much as you can and carry on just a single bag (I do not understand why people still insist on carrying on so much crap into the cabin).

When you get to security, take off any jewelry that might set off the metal detector and anything that might be in your pockets and put it in your carry on luggage for screening. It also helps to wear slip off shoes - since they ask you to take off your shoes sometimes.

Take out your powerbook and place it in the bin. When the metal detector is open, let go of your powerbook and go ahead and walk through. (I wait to let go of it so that I can be at the end of the x-ray when it comes out). I'm not so much afraid of it getting damaged as I am of someone inadvertently picking up my PB (and my data!).

The less you have to be screened for, the faster you and everyone else gets through security, the less likely that your PB will get damaged or indvertently taken by someone else.

I travel ALL the time. You can make the security a hassle to yourself - I choose to make it as easy as possible.

Good luck! Safe travels!

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 04:04 PM

I agree with riverfreak 100%.

Just some added tips from someone who travels too much of late .....

1. Wear tennis shoes (sneakers) on the plane, they rarely ask you to take them off. Any type of dress shoe will have to be put on the belt.

2. Take the laptop out of the case while you are still in the security line.

3. Do not walk through the scanner with your hands in your pockets!!! You will get pulled aside ....leaving your laptop in the chute.

4. Most importantly, since the laptop has to go through the machine in its own tray, put all of your other stuff (carry-on luggage, coat, etc.) through first. Make sure that the laptop tray is the last thing you put through. You want to avoid having the laptop come through and sit at the bottom of the chute (tempting thieves) while you are still negotiating the scanner.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

siflippant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 04:39 PM

Whether you'll have to take the laptop out of the bag or not really depends on the screener and the airport. I've been to places where they let me send it through while it was in a neoprene sleeve no problem. But, Denver International makes me take it out every time. However, I wouldn't count on anyone letting you leave it in the bag while the terror alert is at orange. However, since it is a clear bag, you may be able to convince the screener to allow you to set the laptop on top of the bag. I only say this because the screener will be able to see that there is nothing else in the bag. Again, I wouldn't count on it.

As for shoes, I take mine off every time whether they ask me to or not. I learned that my particular shoes have a steel spine in them. That sets off the metal detector every single time I walk through. Maybe you can ask the screener in the UK to check yours for you when you go through the first time, that way you'll know if you need to worry about it or not.

Finally, if you do set off the detector you will be pulled aside and have a metal detecting wand waved over you. You will not be allowed to touch your belongings until this search has been completed. However, you can ask the screener to collect your belongings for you and move them to a spot where you can keep an eye on them while they search you with the wand. As you can see, it's much easier to just do whatever you can to avoid setting off the detector in the first place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules