Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spanning hack and 100hz on Sony 19' G400 ?

Spanning hack and 100hz on Sony 19' G400 ?
urzsite
Feb 21, 2004, 07:45 AM

Hi!

I got a new G4 iBook 12". And I have used this spanning hack once, which seems to work fine.

My problem is that I want to use my monitors full potential by having the refresh rate of 100hz (to ease my eyes aswell) on my Sony G400 19'.

Anyone out there with the knowlegde of how make this happen ?

Thanks in advance.

Martin Ursin
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 02:28 PM

Which frequencies are available in the Screen System Preferences ?

urzsite  (op)
Feb 23, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Which frequencies are available in the Screen System Preferences ?
Im pretty sure that I can choose 85hz as maximum. Im also sure that the graphic card can handle the 100hz at 1024*768 or 1280*1024.

If you can help me then it would be a great help! Otherwise I would have to invest in a stationary mac - which I can't afford ;o)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by urzsite:
Im pretty sure that I can choose 85hz as maximum. Im also sure that the graphic card can handle the 100hz at 1024*768 or 1280*1024.

If you can help me then it would be a great help! Otherwise I would have to invest in a stationary mac - which I can't afford ;o)
It is highly unlikely that you can tell a difference between 85Hz and 100Hz (but possible). The VAST majority of the population can't tell the difference between 75Hz and 100Hz. Is there a specific reason for why 85Hz isn't good enough and therefore you require 100Hz (vs. 90Hz).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 08:27 PM

Unfortunately, some people can distinguish that. Although the difference between 85Hz and 100Hz is subtle at best, I can still notice that difference. 75Hz is just too darned low for me.

I've not tried plugging in my iBook to an external display bigger than 17", but the AOC 7KLRa 17" CRT I have worked fine at 1024x768 at 85Hz (although the monitor could go as high as 100Hz). Have you checked the option to display all available refresh rates? Oh what am I saying, that's for the internal display.

urzsite  (op)
Feb 24, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
It is highly unlikely that you can tell a difference between 85Hz and 100Hz (but possible). The VAST majority of the population can't tell the difference between 75Hz and 100Hz. Is there a specific reason for why 85Hz isn't good enough and therefore you require 100Hz (vs. 90Hz).
I can tell the difference by far. You can notice it mostly by going from 100hz down to 85hz - notice the flicker. At 100hz my eyes never get tired. At work I had 85hz (now TFT thank god!), and my eyes got dried out.

So thats why im aiming at 100hz ;o)

Maybe there is a hack that can do something.,

kayam1977
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 02:04 AM

i have the same monitor and i can only get 1280x1024 at 90mhz, which is more or less fine.

urzsite  (op)
Feb 26, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by kayam1977:
i have the same monitor and i can only get 1280x1024 at 90mhz, which is more or less fine.
I had a different spanning hack, that was the problem. Now it works as you mention and that I can easy settle with!

Thanks again!

Btw - How come when you drag a window where you have colored something yellow etc. in Photoshop (spanning mode), the color seems to be different on the monitor when I then start to paint over there. More brownish, and when I take the window back to the ibook, it is BROWNISH not yellow! and then when I paint with the very same brush+color which is yellow still. It paints YELLOW over BROWNISH!- that is so wierd. Seems like I can only use Palette on my monitor and have to paint or work on the ibook.

Have any of you tried this out ? If you did understand my bad english hehe.

hayesk
Feb 26, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by urzsite:
I had a different spanning hack, that was the problem. Now it works as you mention and that I can easy settle with!

Thanks again!

Btw - How come when you drag a window where you have colored something yellow etc. in Photoshop (spanning mode), the color seems to be different on the monitor when I then start to paint over there. More brownish, and when I take the window back to the ibook, it is BROWNISH not yellow! and then when I paint with the very same brush+color which is yellow still. It paints YELLOW over BROWNISH!- that is so wierd. Seems like I can only use Palette on my monitor and have to paint or work on the ibook.

Have any of you tried this out ? If you did understand my bad english hehe.
So it's brown on one screen and yellow on another? Sounds like you need to color-calibrate them. Look in the Monitors Settings.

cryon
Feb 26, 2004, 03:49 PM

were did you get the "good" spanning hack from?
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules