Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Just switched to OS X full time. Now some questions.

Just switched to OS X full time. Now some questions.
tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2001, 09:36 AM

My wife and I just made the switch this weekend to OS X. I have been using it off and on since March. The only Classic app we are using is Photoshop. I am using Mail.app for email, Internet Explorer/OmniWeb, and Appleworks. I just have a few questions.

1. For the Mail.app to check for mail does it need to be running and in the dock or does it just automatically check every 5 minutes?

2. Can you put OS X to sleep at the login screen? This would be very cool.

3. Any other tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Zoro
Jul 9, 2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by tsheley:
1. For the Mail.app to check for mail does it need to be running and in the dock or does it just automatically check every 5 minutes?
I think it has to be running

2. Can you put OS X to sleep at the login screen? This would be very cool.
If you set it to sleep after a certain time, it will, even at the login screen. But it would indeed be cool to have a sleep button on the login window. PLease send feedback about this

davidmd
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2001, 10:52 AM

I have a Cube but haven't tried this: try just pressing the power button to put it to sleep. I think that should work.

davidmd

davidmd
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2001, 11:01 AM

I have a Cube but haven't tried this: try just pressing the power button to put it to sleep. I think that should work.

davidmd

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 9, 2001, 11:30 AM

Mail.app needs to be running to have the dock icon update when new mail is available. It can be hidden and still display the unmber of un-read messages.

Since OS X is a multi-user environment, you need to be logged in for your user prefs to establish the screen saver prefs.

tsheley  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2001, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the information. If there are any other things you can give me tips on please continue to post.

Thanks
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2001, 12:12 PM

I've found you can log out without terminating your internet connection. The Internet Connect app appears to quit but when the new user launches it, the connection will still be active from when you logged out. This is handy if, like me, you and your partner like to surf from your respective user profiles without the bother of reconnecting.

That's about the best random advice I can offer. Anything else you need help with?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

earlypinterplays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 12:15 PM

Maybe I shoulda posted this as a "trick" months ago (I assumed everyone knew): davidmd's speculation is spot-on, you need only press your Mac's power button from the login screen to be given the option to sleep. Handy.
The antipathy we feel towards Windows is roughly commensurate with how the rest of the planet views America.

<Synotic2>
Jul 10, 2001, 12:45 PM

Well if you just want general tips.. I suppose you might want to know about Mac OS X Themes. I would write a long thing about them but I figure it would be easier just to direct you to the OS X Customization Thread.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=006527

Take a look at the reference to the thread Scott H gave. Some handy theme info. If you want my Platinum theme e-mail me at:

[email protected]

If you need any help with themes or anything else just ask.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 02:52 PM

Also, I believe a Control&gt;Eject key combination will work for the sleep. It does at the desktop user level.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

capone
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 03:44 PM

Heres a cool thin to show your friends if you know unix.

When you log in type &gt;console as user and use an admin password you will get the command line unix interface.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules