Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PowerBook promo

New PowerBook promo
rglenn
Jul 7, 2004, 01:01 PM

For those of you who were waiting on buying a PB to try and get a deal...

http://www.apple.com/education/promos/bts/index.html

Buy an iPod and a PowerBook and get $200USD back.

Hopefully they'll bring this deal north of the 49th real soon... my credit card is burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm way too close to sledgehammering my PC POS into a pile of plastic splinters and broken chips.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the headsup!
iamwhor3hay

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by rglenn:
Buy an iPod and a PowerBook and get $200USD back.
Shoot! I missed it by a hair. My new 12-inch PowerBook arrived yesterday. Amazon is giving $50 coupons with $250 iPod purchase too. IMO, this points towards iPod updates in the near future.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

daxdagr8t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 04:40 PM

o dang it i bought my pb two days ago, oh well i get me next time.

Tweak3D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 05:35 PM

Im new to the whole Mac ( <---got it right =P) scene and plan on buying a powerbook for school next year. I already signed up for the student ADC discount, but I was wondering if I can use this rebate aswell? it doesn't say anything about not being able to in the terms and conditions, just curious, thanks

-Justin

t4r1q
Jul 7, 2004, 07:18 PM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 7, 2004, 11:48 PM

I used that promo last year to get my AlBook. Glad to see it wasn't just a one-time thing!

tooki

rglenn  (op)
Jul 8, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Tweak3D:
Im new to the whole Mac ( <---got it right =P) scene and plan on buying a powerbook for school next year. I already signed up for the student ADC discount, but I was wondering if I can use this rebate aswell? it doesn't say anything about not being able to in the terms and conditions, just curious, thanks

-Justin
The US one indicates that only the Apple Store for Education Individuals, the Apple Retail Store, or a Campus Reseller to qualify. Not sure about in Canada... I'll probably phone them tomorrow.

My figurin' indicates that the ADC deal on the 15", with the ADC-priced iPod, is still a better deal by about $15-30CAD, despite the rebate.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 01:14 AM

Wow... I just got an ADC student membership also. I'm going to email them tonight and see what's going on. I'd love to get an iPod on top of my new 15" PB for only a few $$$ more. Are we talking iPod mini, regular sizes, or anything that is an iPod?

rglenn  (op)
Jul 8, 2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Wow... I just got an ADC student membership also. I'm going to email them tonight and see what's going on. I'd love to get an iPod on top of my new 15" PB for only a few $$$ more. Are we talking iPod mini, regular sizes, or anything that is an iPod?
Not the Mini - just the regular iPod (15 gig and up)

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 01:32 AM

Spiffy! I could do this along with the powerbook and my bro can get the ipod for $70
Aloha

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 02:44 AM

My figurin' indicates that the ADC deal on the 15", with the ADC-priced iPod, is still a better deal by about $15-30CAD, despite the rebate.
It is. I just purchased a fully-loaded 15" 1.5 with a 40G ipod under an ADC discount and saved over $550 canadian. It's a way, way better deal than the educational discount, which I also have access to.

The big difference is you get discounts on the ipod as well as any add-ons you add to the powerbook - for example, extra VRAM and the faster hard drive update are cheaper via an ADC discount.

Neil
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Tweak3D:

-Justin
I think you should be able to. I picked up a rebate form when I was strolling through the Apple Store yesterday and it looked like all you had to provide was some personal info and the UPC code from your Powerbook/iBook and iPod. It'd be one heck of a deal through ADC.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 09:02 AM

May i ask, what is ADC?

rglenn  (op)
Jul 8, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Jwylie:
May i ask, what is ADC?
Apple Developer Connection. Students get a one-time hardware discount for joining (i.e. you only get to use it once, ever)

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 09:13 AM

I agree... It is looking like a way to save us money, whoooo, and a way to unload inventories of iPods... perhaps an update in a few months!!
yep.

diskgolfking
Jul 8, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by neilio:
It is. I just purchased a fully-loaded 15" 1.5 with a 40G ipod under an ADC discount and saved over $550 canadian. It's a way, way better deal than the educational discount, which I also have access to.

The big difference is you get discounts on the ipod as well as any add-ons you add to the powerbook - for example, extra VRAM and the faster hard drive update are cheaper via an ADC discount.

Neil
Different from what? The education discount also applies to the BTO options. The ADC discount might be better than the educational one but that doesn't mean the educational one isn't there.

diskgolfking
Jul 8, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Tenacious Dyl:
I agree... It is looking like a way to save us money, whoooo, and a way to unload inventories of iPods... perhaps an update in a few months!!
Possibly, but there are other possibilities. They could be using the iPod's popularity to notch up the Mac marketshare. They could be hoping that these iPod owners will start buying more songs from the iTMS which is now (barely) profitable. They could just want to keep the solid laptop and iPod momentum going.

rglenn  (op)
Jul 8, 2004, 11:56 AM

Update on the deal in Canada, from an email I got form the Rebate People&trade;

Thank you for your inquiry. Please note that as per the terms and
conditions of this promotion, you are eligible to receive your student
discount from your reseller as well as participate in the rebate from Apple.
What I take from this:
-No ADC
-No online purchases

I'm gonna follow up and see what's what.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 03:30 PM

LOL I emailed the ADC dev guys and they got back to me saying that they hadn't heard of the deal yet. I sent them a link (as per their request) so they could check it out and get back to me. I must say they provide FAST service... less than 24hrs every time!

EDIT:

Almost forgot... I don't know what the rules in Canada are, but it says right on the rebate form (that you can download from the above link in the first or second post) that the Apple online store for education is one of the places you can buy. You can also buy at your campus store or at any apple store. We're still trying to find out if you can buy online through a student ADC account. I may just try it anyway

Also got a $30 off of $300+ in my email today... me happy
( Last edited by wuzup101; Jul 8, 2004 at 03:35 PM. )

apb15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 04:06 PM

hi
I am not an ADC member so I do not seem to be able to check hardware prices using the ADC discount.
Any idea what the following configuration costs with the educational discount and the ADC discount
15" Powerbook Superdrive
Keynote
Airport Extreme
Ipod 15 GB

Thanks
Al

rglenn  (op)
Jul 8, 2004, 06:03 PM

Update on the deal in Canada, from an email I got form the Rebate People&trade;

What I take from this:
-No ADC
-No online purchases

I'm gonna follow up and see what's what.
Further update: it seems that online shopping is OK.

The person at the rebate fullfilment centre hasn't heard of ADC, so I'm guessing that it's a no. The rebate Ts&Cs say only authorized education dealers, so...

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by apb15:
hi
I am not an ADC member so I do not seem to be able to check hardware prices using the ADC discount.
Any idea what the following configuration costs with the educational discount and the ADC discount
15" Powerbook Superdrive
Keynote
Airport Extreme
Ipod 15 GB

Thanks
Al
You don't have to be an ADC member to view the ordering page, you just won't get any discount if you order from there and don't have a valid ADC account. The student ADC membership is $99/year and you get one LIFETIME free purchase. You can price out your stuff here if you wish. Also if you go to www.apple.com/developer and then find the join ADC stuff and read about it if you want to join.

BTW a 15" superdrive runs $1999 stock off the site

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 10:55 PM

Has anybody gotten the rebate with any of the printers? The hp 5150, i think it is, would be free, i was wondering if it is worth my time to get it, i mean it's free so it can't hurt, right?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 12:05 AM

I haven't done the printer rebate but if it works out to be free and you have the cash to put up then go for it! If you don't like it you can always sell it locally, give it to family, or sell it on ebay...

apb15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 11:39 AM

Ok so if I get the student ADC membership ($99) I can use the ADC hardware discount + avail of the IPOD deal ($200 mail in rebate) + avail of the HP printer rebate. Am I correct on this
or are you only permitted to do one?

Also how long does it take to go through the process of getting a student ADC membership?

The way I see it if I plan to buy a powerbook now I should definitely get the ADC membership and avail of all the above discounts.

rglenn  (op)
Jul 9, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by apb15:
Ok so if I get the student ADC membership ($99) I can use the ADC hardware discount + avail of the IPOD deal ($200 mail in rebate) + avail of the HP printer rebate. Am I correct on this
or are you only permitted to do one?
From my understanding, you CANNOT do the iPod deal if you go with ADC pricing.

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 01:08 PM

The ADC discount is a one time 20% off of a hardware purchase.

But unless you are spending a total order over $3000, the 20% after your $99 fee doesn't make the ADC price any cheaper than the educational discount which DOES factor into BTO options such as ram and harddrive.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by TheDrew:
The ADC discount is a one time 20% off of a hardware purchase.

But unless you are spending a total order over $3000, the 20% after your $99 fee doesn't make the ADC price any cheaper than the educational discount which DOES factor into BTO options such as ram and harddrive.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here, are you talking about the purchase with an iPod or just a purchase in general. It would depend on your configuration I guess, but you wouldn't have to spend 3k to make the ADC a better deal. It's pretty much always a better deal. ADC also takes BTO hardware into account... for instance: a standard SD 15" is $300 cheaper with the ADC membership... after you figure in the cost of the ADC it's $200. Also, all upgrades for BTO options through the ADC are cheaper than they are for the Mac Education program. IE: (bump to 128mb vid ram is $80 for ADC and $90 for edu, bump to a single 512mb stick of ram is $80 for ADC and $90 for edu, bump up to the faster HDD is $40 for ADC and $45 for EDU). The iPods are the same price IIRC through both places.... so if you wen't ADC and went for that configuration you'd save $25... wouldn't have to worry about any rebates (savings would be instant)... and would get all the cool ADC student stuff to boot!

Personally if you're not really into programming I might just go the EDU rout and get your iPod w/ the rebate. That way you can always use your student ADC buy in the future if you decide to get another Mac and you need a better deal.

Also, I can confirm without a doubt that the ADC discount (even if you are a student) will now allow you to do this promo. I got official word from the DEV support guys after they looked over the deal w/ the link I sent them.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 08:45 PM

say, every time I try to download the pdf with the terms, acrobat says the file is broken. so maybe one of you can answer this: does the $200 off apply to refurbs or other computers bought through the special deals section of the apple store for education?

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 10:08 PM

brettcamp :

No it doesn't, only on new machines.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 12:47 AM

Here is the Terms and Conditions from the PDF for all of you

Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions govern this offer: � You must order and take possession of
qualifying products from July 7, 2004, through September 25, 2004. � You must be a qualified Apple
Education Individual end-user purchaser (employee, board member, or attendee of a home school or a
public or private education institution in the 50 United States or District of Columbia), and not a reseller,
to obtain this promotional offer. � Products must be purchased from the Apple Store for Education
Individuals, an Apple retail store, or an Apple Authorized Campus Reseller located in the 50 United
States or District of Columbia. � QUALIFYING PRODUCTS: Any Apple PowerBook or iBook computer
(except M9427LL/A iBook 1GHz/CD-ROM and Z0A8 iBook CD-ROM Configure-to-Order) and any Apple
iPod (except iPod mini M9434LL/A, M9435LL/A, M9436LL/A, M9437LL/A, and M9160LL/A). � This offer is
not valid with the purchase of Apple education promotional bundles, used equipment, or refurbished
equipment. � You must purchase all qualifying Apple products at the same time on the same sales
order to be eligible for the mail-in rebate. � This offer is valid only while supplies of qualifying products
last. � To receive a rebate, you must provide: (1) A completed request coupon. (Request coupons may
not be altered.) (2) Proof of purchase consisting of itemized, dated sales receipt(s) showing ALL Apple
products purchased, the reseller�s name and address, your name and address, the serial numbers of the
qualifying products, and the prices paid for the qualifying products. NOTE: Order acknowledgements,
packing slips, and purchase order copies do not qualify. (3) The UPC/bar code labels cut from all
qualifying product boxes. The UPC/bar code labels must be cut from the product packaging so that the
cardboard backing is completely removed from the packaging. The UPC/bar code labels must include
part numbers with bar codes, serial numbers with bar codes, and product descriptions. � Lost, late, or
misdirected mail is not the responsibility of Apple or its agents. � Allow eight (8) weeks from the date
your claim is processed to receive your rebate. � Checks must be mailed to an address within the 50
United States or District of Columbia. � This offer is void where prohibited or restricted by law. � Apple
education promotional bundle pricing, education institution pricing, and other education promotional
offers supersede this offer. � This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other Apple promotion
except as specifically permitted by the terms and conditions of such other offer or promotion. � Apple
is not responsible for printing errors. � You should keep copies of these Terms and Conditions, your
completed coupon, your proof of purchase, and the UPC/bar code labels for your records. � Submissions
will not be returned and become the property of Apple. � Apple reserves the right to change the Terms
and Conditions or end the offer at any time without notice. � The envelope enclosing your completed
original coupon, proof of purchase, and UPC/bar code labels must be postmarked within 30 days of
your purchase date and received no later than November 15, 2004. � For more information or to learn
the status of your rebate request, please call 888-828-9059 or go to www.apple.com/promo/inquiry.
*Mail-in rebate. The Terms and Conditions above apply. The iPod mini and 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM
are not included in this offer. **Discount will vary depending on notebook model selected.
www.apple.com
� 2004 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Store, iBook, iPod, and
PowerBook are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. L303988A

VertigoBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 01:19 PM

DAMN! I purchased my 15" PB on July 3rd, it came in the mail on the 6th - would there be any way for me to use this rebate?

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 01:59 PM

I just called apple, and it sounds like if you were close to the date then you can get the promo, but only if you bought the ipod and the powerbook at the same time. .

no luck for me
lazydesert

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 05:16 PM

do you guys think this powerbook promo would work with the new 4G ipods?
iamwhor3hay

t4r1q
Jul 19, 2004, 06:54 PM

yes im sure it does. if you go to the apple store now, you'll find that the 3g ipods have been completely replaced with the 4g version.

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 09:08 PM

well crap, i just got mine last week, a 15gb, with the rebate i could of gotten the 20 gb 4g with the dock, remote, and case. I guess i can dwell on that for the next couple days. I am however extremely pleased with the ipod. It's a lot better then my old Archos jukebox (p.o.s.)

Tim Kosch
Jul 19, 2004, 09:17 PM

well crap, i just got mine last week, a 15gb, with the rebate i could of gotten the 20 gb 4g with the dock, remote, and case. I guess i can dwell on that for the next couple days. I am however extremely pleased with the ipod. It's a lot better then my old Archos jukebox (p.o.s.)
I really haven't paid attention to the new iPods (I have a 3rd generation that I am happy with) but when I ordered my AirPort Extreme and 23" Cinema Display I think I read in the "fine print" that you had 10 days if the price dropped/changed for an adjustment. Did the 3rd generation iPods drop in price?

Tim

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 09:33 PM

no, they are not even on the website anymore.

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 10:40 PM

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...lesrefund.html

I may be in luck, i ordered 9 days ago and the return policy is for 10 days from order. ( and edit the above post, neither comes with remote or case and the 20gb doesn't come with a dock either)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 11:26 PM

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...lesrefund.html

I may be in luck, i ordered 9 days ago and the return policy is for 10 days from order. ( and edit the above post, neither comes with remote or case and the 20gb doesn't come with a dock either)
it's just you can now get the 20gb one with the new click wheel etc for the price of the old 15gb. Not bad I say.
iamwhor3hay

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 11:32 PM

do you think exchanging it and paying the 10% open box fee ($27.00) is worth it? it only cost me 70 with the cram and jam so this would bump it up to 100 dollars.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 12:50 AM

depends what you want. 3g is still very good with many of the features that the 4G has, and 15GB should be enough for a while.

but if i was in your position, i'd still go for the new 20GB. 12 hour battery life, new click wheel (which I loved on the mini!) a little thinner, and updated features is enough to persuade me to do the trade.

by the way, how'd you do the rebate? did you just print out the pdf and send the upc labels in? it sounds like a pain in the butt, considering the check doesn't come in another 8 weeks!
iamwhor3hay

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 02:22 AM

I actually haven't sent it in yet, but yeah that is what you do. BTW, how does the click wheel work? Is it an actual whell and not a touch pad like the 3g? The discreption on the apple store is kind of confusing.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:18 AM

It's a touchpad that pivots.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules