Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Office 2004: Does It Cause "Stuttering" in iTunes?

MS Office 2004: Does It Cause "Stuttering" in iTunes?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 08:39 PM

Since installing MS Office 2004, I've noticed that iTunes suddenly "stutters" where it didn't before, esp. when performing a network action in Entourage. This problem did not appear to exist in the previous version.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any insight?

GetGo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 08:55 PM

No problems here....
12" iBook 800 MHz 640 MB, G3 iPod

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 09:25 PM

How much RAM do you have? What kind of computer do you have?

Office 2004 is probably just more resource-intensive than the previous version, and your computer may not have the horsepower to run that and good-quality iTunes at the same time.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
How much RAM do you have? What kind of computer do you have?

Office 2004 is probably just more resource-intensive than the previous version, and your computer may not have the horsepower to run that and good-quality iTunes at the same time.
450Mhz PowerMac G4 (PCI Graphics), 896MB RAM, OS X 10.2.8

If true, that sucks because that it means that Office 2004 is less efficiently coded and uses resources more stupidly than the previous version. Some flippin' upgrade this is!

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 08:05 AM

Hi!

Not sure if this is related, but I'm experiencing some stuttering in iTunes (but not only in iTunes, basically in all sound output, e.g. DVD Player), too. Just yesterday I noticed that it (only?) seems to occur when mldonkey is running, so I guess it might be due to the heavy network activity. The stuttering is only ocasionally, but there's also a noticable general decrease in sound quality (noise). This is on a Powermac G4/MDD 1250 w/ 10.3.4.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
450Mhz PowerMac G4 (PCI Graphics), 896MB RAM, OS X 10.2.8

If true, that sucks because that it means that Office 2004 is less efficiently coded and uses resources more stupidly than the previous version. Some flippin' upgrade this is!

I had a 400MHz powerbook with 320MB of RAM with Panther installed and I got the same problem with different apps and itunes. It doesn't do it on my dual 1GHz/1GB of RAM so the problem was just not enough resources.

Do you use any of the new features that the upgrade has? maybe you have autohide turned on for the format window which makes it transparent when you are typing. or maybe project center is active and using resources. also try turning off auto update. Try digging through the preferences and turn off things you don't need.

it's not that it's bad with resources but that it has more eye candy and more features. my favorite is the Notebook with recording.

Why did you upgrade to 2004?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 10:14 PM

Well, that's how Microsoft usually operates. Nothing new for them...

Chulo
Jul 15, 2004, 11:09 PM

I installed Office 2004 this week and haven't noticed any changes. So far no stuttering for me. I have an AlPowerbook 15", 512 Ram, OS X

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 02:31 AM

Office 2004 definately is much slower than V.x, on my dual G5 with tonnes of ram the thing is slow slow slow.... keep havign to wait for the page to update when i change stuff etc... ah well
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 09:07 AM

That is so maddening. And to make matters even worse, there are only about three or four new features in this version that I find remotely useful. The rest are mere bloat as far as I'm concerned.

diskgolfking
Jul 16, 2004, 09:22 AM

I have been amazed to see Word v.X using 30% of my CPU (PB 12" 1.33) while sitting there doing nothing. So nothing would surprise me at this point.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 09:28 AM

I thought Office 2004 was supposed to be optimized and much sleeker than the horror that was v.X?

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I thought Office 2004 was supposed to be optimized and much sleeker than the horror that was v.X?
It is, it's very good. I have no problems with it or iTunes.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:29 PM

Since installing MS Office 2004, I've noticed that iTunes suddenly "stutters" where it didn't before, esp. when performing a network action in Entourage. This problem did not appear to exist in the previous version.

Anybody else experiencing this or have any insight?
Just got my copy this Monday, and I can confirm the performance is WORSE than the previous version. Every time I edited my document, with focus in Word, my CPU usage would jump to 100%! I checked from "top -u" that Word indeed was the one keeping hogging the CPU.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Additoinal info: I was editing documents in traditional Chinese though.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 07:34 PM

The simplest way to speed up Word is to go through all the Preferences and disable anything you don't really need (live grammar checking is a notorious resource hog, for example). Of course, it still may not be enough, depending on your computer and your needs, but it can help.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 09:59 PM

This thread might help with your Entourage problems:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=220495

That seems to hog a ton of resources in Entourage.

As for sound output on a Mac, whenever there is a call to RAM and there isnt really enough to go around, you get stuttering. Like others have said, its a resource issue.

As for Office 2004, I find it the ugliest, bloatiest, slowest SOBillGates. Its crazy. Although, to be fair, I sort of feel for the guys in the MBU. They probably have a ton of oversight by the PC division whos developing Office for Windows. One of my friends was talking to a colleague today and he told him a joke that I shall relay to you. Theyre probably acting like seagull managers, they come in, make a lot of noise, crap all over the place, and then leave.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 09:51 PM

Hi all,

sorry for piggybacking on this thread, but I've done a search and this is the closest thread I can find to my problem.

I'm having a lot of performance issues with Word 2004. Everytime I scroll the page it seems that the beachball comes up and it hangs for a while.

I've disabled most preferences, done disk permissions repair, etc. but still to no avail. I'm using a Rev B 1 GHz AluBook with 512MB RAM.

anyone has any tips on how to improve the performance? perhaps its some preference I forgot to turn off?

thanks
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules