Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cocktail vs. DiskWarrior

Cocktail vs. DiskWarrior
jszrules
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 08:52 PM

How do you know when to run something like Cocktail versus running something like DiskWarrior?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 10:45 PM

You really should have some sort of problem before you run either. What problem do you have?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 11:34 PM

i thought it was good to run those types of programs occasionally just for general computer maintenance. i've only run each of them once in the past year. i basically just want to know how to detect the problems that DiskWarrior can fix and how to detect the problems that programs like Cocktail can fix...just for future reference. i see threads all the time where people say, "it's time for you to run DiskWarrior" or "you better run Cocktail". i'm just wondering how you know when to prefer one over the other. however, since you asked, if you want to see the current problems i am experiencing, here are the links:
(http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=219967)
(http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=204187)
thanks!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 09:40 AM

Cocktail is never really needed. There's nothing you can do with it that you cannot do without it. What it does is give you an easy interface into your system's built-in maintenance tasks. I changed my automated cron jobs to run in the daytime when I have the machine on instead of at night. Some people solve the same problem by installing anacron and having it run the jobs instead of cron.

DiskWarrior is another beast altogether. DiskWarrior works by rebuilding the catalog used to tell the computer where all the files are on the hard disk. If you are having errors related to folder corruption, errors reading or copying files, etc., DiskWarrior can help. If you are having I/O related crashes, DiskWarrior can help.

If you're experiencing the general slowness that comes with needing to run the famous "repair permissions", you can do that whenever you like with no real consequence. You don't even have to stop working. Just do it in the terminal or using Disk Utility.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2004, 10:20 AM

It's kind of like asking about vitamin pills vs. surgery.

The vitamin pills don't really make much of a difference, but people take them to feel good about themselves.

They don't prevent surgery, they are no substitute for surgery, nor do they have anything to do with surgery.

-s*

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
It's kind of like asking about vitamin pills vs. surgery.

The vitamin pills don't really make much of a difference, but people take them to feel good about themselves.

They don't prevent surgery, they are no substitute for surgery, nor do they have anything to do with surgery.

-s*

I think it's more like comparing Preventative Maintanence over Major repair.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
You really should have some sort of problem before you run either. What problem do you have?
Naw, I run DW at least once every two weeks regardless if I have any problems.

I have always done that with my HDs. Never had one "go out" on me either.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Naw, I run DW at least once every two weeks regardless if I have any problems.

I have always done that with my HDs. Never had one "go out" on me either.
I run it about the Same. Once or twice a month.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

diskgolfking
Jul 20, 2004, 11:23 AM

I wish I could run DW but I don't have a DW disk that can boot my Rev C PB and I get errors running DW from a BootCD disk

So basically I paid for it but I can't use it unless I spend another $20 for a current CD from alsoft

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by diskgolfking:
I wish I could run DW but I don't have a DW disk that can boot my Rev C PB and I get errors running DW from a BootCD disk

So basically I paid for it but I can't use it unless I spend another $20 for a current CD from alsoft
You can get it to run from a CD made with BootCD. Apparently it takes a touch more effort than most apps, but it is possible.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 12:26 PM

You can download a free updater from their site that will take your BootCD and your OS and make a boot CD that will work. I did that for my G5 before they were shipping a G5-compatible CD in the box.

diskgolfking
Jul 20, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
You can download a free updater from their site that will take your BootCD and your OS and make a boot CD that will work. I did that for my G5 before they were shipping a G5-compatible CD in the box.
I am confused!
What do you mean by BootCD? The program BootCD? Or the diskwarrior CD that you can boot from?

I used the 3.0.2 updater from DW to make a DW CD with the new version but it doesn't boot my system. The DW tech support confirmed that this will be the case because their license with Apple prevents it.

So does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to make a bootable CD for my Rev C 12" PB that has DW on it? The DW tech support got to the point where they just can't help me anymore.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c
> Cocktail is never really needed. There's nothing you can do with it that you cannot do without it.
That's true... assuming one is a UNIX guru (and/or an OSX expert).

Originally posted by Arkham_c
> What it does is give you an easy interface into your system's built-in maintenance tasks.
That's only 1 -- of perhaps 20 or so -- of the things for which Cocktail provides push-button convenience.

Originally posted by diskgolfking
> So does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to make a bootable CD for my Rev C 12" PB that has DW on it? The DW tech support got to the point where they just can't help me anymore.
To fan a few MacNN flamers... I need only say just one word: partition.

I have the same Rev C 12" PB with two bootable versions of Panther on it (not clones mind you). Repairing one volume (with DiskWarrior 3.0.2 for example) is a simple matter of booting from the other. No CD to lug around or look for... just restart with the option key (to supply the Open Firmware password). Fast. Convenient. Easily upgradable.

CD booting is so dang slow... I'd rather watch my beard grow.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jul 20, 2004 at 04:34 PM. )
-HI-

diskgolfking
Jul 20, 2004, 05:04 PM

I can boot from an external FW Drive too, right? I have a 250GB with two partitions on it (one for iTunes music, big stuff like that and the other for backups). I suppose I could install Panther on the backup partition and use that for DW.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 01:01 PM

I can boot from an external FW Drive too, right? I have a 250GB with two partitions on it (one for iTunes music, big stuff like that and the other for backups). I suppose I could install Panther on the backup partition and use that for DW.
You sure can.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Hal Itosis:
That's true... assuming one is a UNIX guru (and/or an OSX expert).

That's only 1 -- of perhaps 20 or so -- of the things for which Cocktail provides push-button convenience.
Ahh but I AM a UNIX expert

In any case, I was not saying that Cocktail had no value. My point was that DiskWarrior accomplishes a task that no built-in OSX tool can accomplish, even if the operator is a UNIX or OSX expert. Cocktail makes doing things that you can already do easier, but its functions can all be accomplished without it.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2004, 11:43 PM

Man,
Let me tell you that Disk Warrior is the sheeee ahhht. It completely saved a hard drive that had been left out in the rain, stepped on and otherwise trashed. Disk Warrior was able to repair the HD and all the info on it. Bar none, it is thee #1 Utility for Macs. It comes with another program called "Disk Optimizer" which does just what the title says and it does it well. When talking about apps like "Cocktail," "Onyx," "XSupport," "SOX System Optimizer," I use them on a regular basis. They are all good for daily maintenance. However, I would not use them for any serious issues. Each one of them can and occasionly does delete files that you did not want it to delete. Proceed with caution.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Forum Links
Forum Rules