Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office: Mac 2004 Student/Teacher Edition (Should I upgrade from 2003?)

Office: Mac 2004 Student/Teacher Edition (Should I upgrade from 2003?)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 03:52 PM

I own Office: Mac 2003 Student/Teacher Edition. It works great.

I use Entourage and Word 99% of the time. I barely ever use Excel or Powerpoint.

Is there a reason to spend 135 to upgrade to 2004 or not really. Right now it seems 2003 does everything I need it to do, but maybe I missed a cool feature or two.

Thanks.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 04:30 PM

Uh, Office 2003 runs only on Windows. Office 2004 runs only on Mac OS X. You wouldn't really "upgrade" between them, for obvious reasons.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 04:39 PM

So I guess you must be running Office version X. I wouldn't bother upgrading - in fact I've been discouraging everyone from doing so.

There's not really any great new features in Office 2004 that are worth the risk (2004 version is very buggy for some people).

diskgolfking
Oct 3, 2004, 07:01 PM

The only real "must have" feature I have seen in 2004 compared to v.X is proper unicode support. If you work with other character sets you may have noticed that v.X doesn't handle them correctly rendering many documents simply unreadable in v.X.

SkullSlap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Uh, Office 2003 runs only on Windows. Office 2004 runs only on Mac OS X. You wouldn't really "upgrade" between them, for obvious reasons.
That really helps Angus, Im sure if we ever need someone to point out the obvious, we know where to go.
------
I am amazed at how many, stupid smart
people there are in here.

Altair
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 01:01 AM

I upgraded from office.X and found 2004 to be faster on my 12" powerbook (867 mhz model). It also has a notebook view that is very nice for taking notes with. This view has some nice features like collapsible lists, audio clips, etc. These may be available in other views but I haven't tried it yet. I have not tried entourage though.

My verdict, if you don't mind spending the money, it's a worthy upgrade.

P.S. I have not encountered any bugs. In fact the bugs that I had from .X were fixed (changing zoom level using non default font would make the letters sometimes run together).
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by SkullSlap:
That really helps Angus, Im sure if we ever need someone to point out the obvious, we know where to go.
It must not have been particularly obvious to the poster.

By the way, Angus was more helpful than you in this thread.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by SkullSlap:
If it was obvious the question wouldn't have been asked. People should learn to ask the righ questions rather than relying on others attempting to figure out what they REALLY wanted to ask. That's just damned lazy.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
So I guess you must be running Office version X. I wouldn't bother upgrading - in fact I've been discouraging everyone from doing so.

There's not really any great new features in Office 2004 that are worth the risk (2004 version is very buggy for some people).
I've decided to stick with 2003 for now. All I do is send e-mail and type documents, and most likely I wouldn't even need any of the new features offered by 2004.

So that's the way I went. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:59 PM

Not to be mean but DO A SEARCH this topic has been covered many many times already.

On that note. I think it's a worthy upgrade. If you use Entourage for email Entourage finally has some good SPAM filtering. Also Word has some nice features as well. ONe fo the best things and I think the key reason to upgrade is the compatability checker I've had too many People tell me that Word Files I sent them from Office v.X couldn't be read on there PC's. This way you will never send them a file they can't read.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules