Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM and battery life?

RAM and battery life?
riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 04:07 PM

Hey-O -

Well, I'm finally thinking of upgrading my 27 month-old Ti 1 GHz to one of the new Al powerbook configurations.

For me, the major issue is being able to support 2 GB of RAM (yes, I realize this has been the case for some time already, but my Ti was quite new at that point).

I'm curious how adding more RAM affects battery performance. My hunch is that if you are doing disk-intensive tasks that adding more RAM should increase battery life quite significantly.

Does anyone have real-world observations of this?

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 04:45 PM

I asked basically this ame question recently and got no real responses.
I also wondered if the Ram use related to heat and fan issues as some have commented that the fans run more often when more ram is installed.

I got a 1gig stick for my 12" PB and notice no difference with battery life or heat since I did.

I have tried various combinations of hard drives and ram and can tell no real difference except going to the faster hard drive.
In my case it did lower heat and noise while speeding up the machine in a noticable way.

riverfreak  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
I asked basically this ame question recently and got no real responses.
I also wondered if the Ram use related to heat and fan issues as some have commented that the fans run more often when more ram is installed.

I got a 1gig stick for my 12" PB and notice no difference with battery life or heat since I did.

I have tried various combinations of hard drives and ram and can tell no real difference except going to the faster hard drive.
In my case it did lower heat and noise while speeding up the machine in a noticable way.
Hmm.. Thanks for the response. I'm sure there is some relationship of RAM / HD speed / heat / energy use. The various tradeoffs probably balance to negligible differences in battery performance.

Which is a shame. It seems like battery technology is really stagnant (yes, I've heard about fuel cells. Where are they? Are they on the back shelf with FMD?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules