Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac Newbie..Need Advice and Tips

Mac Newbie..Need Advice and Tips
VAGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 12:12 PM

Hi everyone, I just bought a new powerbook and I know nothing about macs. So I'm really new to everything about mac. I would love some tips on anything you have to offer. I'm totally new to the mac world, I've been using windows since I can remember.

Help me get familairized with mac. Anything would help, small or big. I'd like to learn the basics then work my way up.

Thank you to all that replies.

VAGirl

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 08:32 AM

The round silver button = ON/OFF.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 09:38 AM

Try checking out the help section in Finder (click anywhere on your desktop and click help at the top). There's a great "New to Mac OS X" section that shows you the Mac counterpart for common Windows procedures. Other than that I would recommend you go into system preferences and set up the computer the way you like it, by customizing all the tabs that apply to you.

You could also post this in the Mac OS X forum, you'll probably get more help/answers there.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

philc
Feb 19, 2005, 11:34 AM

General Advice

I think you have already come to the right place. In the MacNN forums you will either find several people who have had your problem or one similar. Failing that you will always find people more than willing to help you with your questions. That is one of the best things about this community. I think the only advice is that you should try to search for similar questions/answers before posting.

Play with your Mac, don't be afraid of it, get to know it. Read a few web sites, get some magazines, talk to people.

Specific Advice

Everyting is way easier then you think it is. You almost have to forget what you know about computers then think about how they should work. OSX will not make you jump through hoops to accomplish what you want to do. Try doing your task the way it should work or the way a child would try it and chances are it will work.

As an example, I just got a new Mac also my first. I transferred all my music to it but could not find out how to import into iTunes. I was looking in all the menus and about to read the help file. How frustrating this should be simple. Then I got the idea to just drag the music folder into iTunes.

BOOM! It started importing like mad!

You will love your Mac, feel free anytime to email me or private message me for help.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 12:08 PM

shift-ctrl-apple-4

DRAG over what you want...goes to clipboard.

apple-v into whatever you want (Mail, Powerpoint, etc.!).

This is amazingly useful....

More here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Forum Links
Forum Rules