Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Adium / Apps with changing dock icons

Adium / Apps with changing dock icons
csitkoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 05:22 PM

So I'm trying to replace the icon for Adium (AIM client) ... when I restart my system it shows up fine with the new icon, but once I start the program it reverts to its own set of icons (it has one for "signing on" period, then one once its online, then one when you have signed off, etc).

Is there an easy way to replace all of these dock icons for this / other programs ?

Thanks.

csitkoff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 05:23 PM

Oh, and ... I'm new to these forums so sorry if this has already been tackled.

diskgolfking
Mar 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

Applications can change their own icons. Adium allows users to select which icons they want to use. Go to www.adiumxtras.com got more details. For other applications you will probably have to go digging through the application package. There is likely to be an icon or set of icons in there that you can replace. I believe this is how people change their iCal icon (how it looks when it's running).

csitkoff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 05:50 PM

Thanks.

Took a look over @ that site, and it looks like its pretty easy to replace the set of dock icons from any number they have available to download, BUT ... what if I just want to use one I already have?

That seems to be the tough part.

diskgolfking
Mar 6, 2005, 06:09 PM

There don't seem to be instructions on the site on how to make them but you might try poking around their forums.

gruneeitelkeit
Mar 10, 2005, 02:17 AM

It is possible to change it to an existing icon, but its going to be somewhat of a hassle. Here are the steps:

1. Download a AdiumIcon from the Adium website
2. Somehow convert your icon(s) into a .png file.
3. Right-click on the AdiumIcon file and 'Show Package Contents"
4. Replace the PNGs in the AdiumIcon file appropriately with your own PNGs and make sure to name them the same name
5. After you are done, just doubleclick the AdiumIcon file and set it in the preferences of Adium.

I hope this helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules