Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook: to buy or not to buy (trackpad)

powerbook: to buy or not to buy (trackpad)
timmayXL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2005, 11:51 PM

i really want to get a powerbook soon. however, with a lot of people complaining about defective trackpads i'm not too sure. it wouldn't be as bad if the powerbooks at the local apple store didn't have the same problem (slow vertical scroll, fast horizontal). if i do buy a powerbook and it is defective, would apple send me a new laptop or would they insist on a repair?

ncsurfer
Mar 23, 2005, 01:14 AM

I bought a new 15" right when they came out and I don't have any trackpad issues. I like the scrolling and have yet to have a problem. To answer your question, no, I don't think they would replace it unless it was within the return period. Apple is investigating the trackpad issues now, but they are not replacing problematic powerbooks.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 01:53 AM

my trackpad does seem to be a bit slower than the one I had in my TI, but it's really not bad. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 02:25 AM

i love mine. the trackpad works great.

while (!annoying)
buy, buy, buy;

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 03:05 AM

Same here. Got my powebook last friday and it's perfect
Trackpad is great (as good as my previous PB) and the scrolling option is flawless.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

MoparSteve
Mar 23, 2005, 02:43 PM

I bought my new 12" three weeks ago from the Apple Store and I have no issues with it. Trackpad works great.

Steve

timmayXL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 06:33 PM

thanks for the replies, it's good to hear that it's not as bad of a problem as I thought. one more thing though: is there any difference between buying a powerbook at an apple store or through the apple website? (i.e. would i be getting an "older" powerbook through a retail store than if i got it online?)

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 24, 2005, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by timmayXL:
thanks for the replies, it's good to hear that it's not as bad of a problem as I thought. one more thing though: is there any difference between buying a powerbook at an apple store or through the apple website? (i.e. would i be getting an "older" powerbook through a retail store than if i got it online?)
If you buy one at an Apple store, and it turns out to be defective, then you will have an easier time exchanging it.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 08:52 AM

I've had my new 15" for about two weeks now and had no problems with the trackpad until yesterday. It was triggered by the infamous static electricity. It was the first time I can remember getting a little shock from the carpet as I touched my book and sure enough, my trackpad became unresponsive. So I reset it the way Apple recomends (placing my entire palm over the pad) and it went back to normal. That was yesterday and no problems since.

It's my understanding that Apple has replaced PBs for people who have chronic trackpad problems, but many of those people are having the same problem with their new books. At least Apple has acknowledged the problem and will most likely introduce a service or repair program. They definitely screwed up on this one.

It may be quite some time before Apple figures this one out (financially) and resolves the problem for PBs waiting to be sold. I took my chances and so far it's no big deal.

BTW, www.pbzone.com has written a lot about this.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by timmayXL:
is there any difference between buying a powerbook at an apple store or through the apple website? (i.e. would i be getting an "older" powerbook through a retail store than if i got it online?)
To answer your specific questions, yes. The Powerbook you buy at the retail might have been made a week or two before the one you get from the online store. When you buy online, the machine is often shipped to you directly from the factory. Would I worry about it? No.

MoparSteve
Mar 25, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
To answer your specific questions, yes. The Powerbook you buy at the retail might have been made a week or two before the one you get from the online store. When you buy online, the machine is often shipped to you directly from the factory. Would I worry about it? No.
I agree with this assessment also. I was in a situation where I wanted a new PB for a trip I would be going on in a weeks time. I wanted a 12"PB with Superdrive, and wanted the largest HD available (100GB as a BTO). I tried to order online at the Apple store, but it was not saying how long for shipping, and couldn't select anything other than the standard shipping. I called the 800 number (on a Sunday) and they said the PB would be built on Wed and ship Thur (whether standard config or BTO). There was only a 50/50 chance I could get it by Friday. They also said most brick&mortor Apple Stores sell out quickly when they get shipments in. Well, I decided I could live with the 80GB drive on the standard config 12"PB w/SD, called my local Apple Store which said they had only 1 left in stock, so I went & got it. There seems to be such a low inventory level anywhere, there won't be much difference in build date.

Steve

timmayXL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 05:23 PM

thanks for all the replies. got myself to the apple store the other day and decided to get the 15" maxed out. im really loving this pb, no problems whatsoever, no dead pixels, no trackpad issues

steel84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 11:03 PM

same here my trackpad works great. No dead pixels either, I have to say i was getting a little woried after reading some of the threads.
Just bought a PB 15', 1g ram, 80HD, 128 vid. First Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules