Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which RAM for TiBook?

Which RAM for TiBook?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 11:14 AM

hi folks. finally getting around to installing Tiger, and it's time to upgrade the ol' RAM in the ol' TiBook. quick search on DealRam for a 512MB module revealed a striking price differencial between different sources: the cheapest 512MB PC100 SO-DIMM for the TiBook was about 80 bucks, from a generic vendor, while crucial sells a similar module for $125 (though that one is PC-133), and RamJet is selling for $150!!

Can anyone more practiced in purchasing notebook RAM make any sense out of this, and reccommend a source that strikes the best balance between quality/reputability and price?

with many thanks,
ox

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 11:24 AM

Well for starters, if it's the 550 MHz or higher, you want PC133 not PC100. In the 400 and 500 MHz you can use either PC100 or PC133.

You should be looking for a reputable vendor that tests and gusrantees compatibility with your model Powerbook, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesnt work.

In the USA, I prefer Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1104, their 512 Mb PC133 is $98.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Well for starters, if it's the 550 MHz or higher, you want PC133 not PC100. In the 400 and 500 MHz you can use either PC100 or PC133.

You should be looking for a reputable vendor that tests and gusrantees compatibility with your model Powerbook, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesnt work.

In the USA, I prefer Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1104, their 512 Mb PC133 is $98.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
Trevor, thanks for your helpful reply. I'm curious though why the 550MHz TiBook, which like the 500MHz model also has a 100MHz system bus, cannot accomodate a PC-100 chip? I think you may be mistaken, as I am right now using a 256MB PC-100 module in my 550...

ox

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by OmniX
Trevor, thanks for your helpful reply. I'm curious though why the 550MHz TiBook, which like the 500MHz model also has a 100MHz system bus, cannot accomodate a PC-100 chip? I think you may be mistaken, as I am right now using a 256MB PC-100 module in my 550...

ox
If I remember correctly, the 550Mhz Ti has a 133Mhz system bus, so, while it would work with it, you wouldn't get the maximum performance from the PC100 ram.

I've been looking to upgrade the ram on my trusty TiBook667, and have been looking at the offerings at OWC.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by himself
If I remember correctly, the 550Mhz Ti has a 133Mhz system bus, so, while it would work with it, you wouldn't get the maximum performance from the PC100 ram.

I've been looking to upgrade the ram on my trusty TiBook667, and have been looking at the offerings at OWC.
According to the Apple System Profiler running currently on my 550:
Bus Speed: 100 MHz

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by OmniX
According to the Apple System Profiler running currently on my 550:
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
oops. oh well, PC100 it is, I guess.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links